Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

I am absolutely amazed at how sensitive this country has become. I think it's a big reason why we are on such a downward spiral.

I've had it with all the PC crap. Somebody gets worked up over just about anything these days. It doesn't mean crap to a lot of us anymore. It's time for this Overly sensitive PC world to stop already and people get a thicker skin.

Blog Entries

Non-story, he corrected himself instantly. Should handle himself better with the media at this point in his life, and should know better in general (I'm almost 20 years older than him and grew up pre-PC and I know better) but... no harm was intended, surely.

More than anything though, I wish the world would learn to stop killing people over one little word here and there. As we move into a world where everything we do and say is likely to end up recorded forever, we're going to have to be a lot cooler about letting other people's mistakes slide. Right now we're still in the evolutionary phase where we still think somehow we gain some type of advantage by pointing the finger and shrieking "Holier Than Thou!!!" But eventually everybody slips up on something or other, so we can either spend forever pretending to be shocked and offended and tearing each other new assholes every five minutes, or we can just learn to holster the impulse to slaughter people over semantics and just chill out and get along.

Blog Entries

Look, you all want to lump me in as some big dumb liberal? Fine.

My brother in law has CP. Yes, he's been called retarded, because he can't speak. He has nothing wrong with his mind, he's just physically disabled. It IS a big deal to me, because I've seen it done in high school. I honestly can't remember if I did or didn't say it then, but I know that I recognized when I grew up and matured that it was a dumb thing to do.

No, he wasn't trying to be hurtful and ignorant with it. But furthering this type of stuff, that leads to people continuing to use it.

But whatever, I guess I'm just a ranting liberal
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Yeah, this is a non-story but it will be a mild issue for maybe the next couple of days.

"Retarded" as a negative adjective is up there with "gay" these days as something you just don't use, even (or is that especially?) meant with no connection to literally mentally challenged or gay people. It's a bad PR move but I'm glad he recognized it immediately. I'm sure Joe Flacco has 0% problem with the mentally challenged! It's just a slang that should not be used professionally.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Denver reporter asked Joe about prospects of a cold weather Super Bowl....

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...ce=rsshomeblog

I could really give a shit about the cold weather SB stuff. But WHY???? did he feel the need to call it that word?!?!?!?!

Seriously, stupid fucking comment Joe. Welcome to ridicule-ville. Especially when your future C, Gino Gradkowski, is majorly involved with the R-WORD CAMPAIGN!
    Yes, the word is offensive, but unfortunately it is incorporated into modern lingo.

He also corrected himself and said that he probably shouldn't say that.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

My brother in law has CP. Yes, he's been called retarded, because he can't speak. He has nothing wrong with his mind, he's just physically disabled. It IS a big deal to me, because I've seen it done in high school. I honestly can't remember if I did or didn't say it then, but I know that I recognized when I grew up and matured that it was a dumb thing to do.

No, he wasn't trying to be hurtful and ignorant with it. But furthering this type of stuff, that leads to people continuing to use it.

I don't think you need to defend yourself ... as I said, "retarded" and "gay" mean literal certain things in a dictionary sense, and when substituted for negative adjectives like "stupid," it is offensive. Not to send this thread off the deep end, but it's not far from pointing at something you don't like or view as undesirable and saying, "Psh, that's so Chinese." It would offend a Chinese person.

Just saying I feel you, is all.

Though again Flacco meant no harm and immediately understood the blunder. And he is not a peddler of hate or something, so the story will go away soon.

It has nothing to do with you being a liberal. It sucks your bother was made fun of for his disability. That's not cool at all. However, I'm tired of this PC world and everyone getting over sensitive to all kinds of words these day. You can't say anything these days without someone trying to personalize everything even though it had nothing to do with your brother or his situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
    It has nothing to do with you being a liberal. It sucks your bother was made fun of for his disability. That's not cool at all. However, I'm tired of this PC world and everyone getting over sensitive to all kinds of words these day. You can't say anything these days without someone trying to personalize everything even though it had nothing to do with your brother or his situation.
    I think your empathy chip is malfunctioning ...

I know who cares... Steve Biscotti and the Maryland stadium authority whom would love to host a Superbowl.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Idiot offends people?
    Here is the actual definition of "idiot" :
    Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

I guess you aught to be ashamed of yourself RavenScallwag... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I think your empathy chip is malfunctioning ...
    Maybe, but I've been called some pretty mean things over the years and don't flip out when someone completely unrelated to me or my situation uses it in a different context.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Here is the actual definition of "idiot" :
    Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

I guess you aught to be ashamed of yourself RavenScallwag... Bc
    Was just going to make this point myself. You have to appreciate the irony of someone offended at the use of the word "retarded," who turns around and uses an epithet that is essentially equivalent to that word, albeit without a political movement associated with it...

But let me reiterate that I do sympathize with the overarching theme that people with disabilities should be respected and not denigrated. I myself had two aunts who have long since passed away who both suffered from mental retardation as a result of birth defects (which I understand is correctly called "intellectual disability" nowadays.) When they grew up in the 1950s life was very difficult for them, but I do not believe the specific label applied to them made their lives hard, but rather the total lack of respect and opportunity they were afforded by society as a whole.

Instead of wasting our time trying to eliminate "offensive" language (see the euphemism treadmill) maybe it's better to actually work on improving our society's treatment of those with disabilities. I really don't think whether people are allowed to casually describe things they dislike as "retarded" without being denigrated for being offensive matters to a mentally retarded person who doesn't have a job, a place to live, or anyone to help them get through their day. I know it's easier to buy a wristband or wear a tee shirt, but that doesn't get much done.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Was just going to make this point myself. You have to appreciate the irony of someone offended at the use of the word "retarded," who turns around and uses an epithet that is essentially equivalent to that word, albeit without a political movement associated with it...

But let me reiterate that I do sympathize with the overarching theme that people with disabilities should be respected and not denigrated. I myself had two aunts who have long since passed away who both suffered from mental retardation as a result of birth defects (which I understand is correctly called "intellectual disability" nowadays.) When they grew up in the 1950s life was very difficult for them, but I do not believe the specific label applied to them made their lives hard, but rather the total lack of respect and opportunity they were afforded by society as a whole.

Instead of wasting our time trying to eliminate "offensive" language (see the euphemism treadmill) maybe it's better to actually work on improving our society's treatment of those with disabilities. I really don't think whether people are allowed to casually describe things they dislike as "retarded" without being denigrated for being offensive matters to a mentally retarded person who doesn't have a job, a place to live, or anyone to help them get through their day. I know it's easier to buy a wristband or wear a tee shirt, but that doesn't get much done.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    "Retarded" as a negative adjective is up there with "gay" these days as something you just don't use, even (or is that especially?) meant with no connection to literally mentally challenged or gay people.
    Whoa! Now it's not OK with the PCers to say "Gay"? That's fuckin' ridiculous! When I grew up, the correct term was "queer" or "homo" which somehow later were deemed to be offensive by Lefty. Then it turned to "gay" as the PC term, with "queer" and "homo" became the bad guys according to the pointy-headed Leftists who make up these rules.

All of you who support PC should read the book "1984" to get an idea as to why normal Americans resent PC's intrusion into our lives.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).