Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Speaking as a support worker who works with people who have learning disabilities, I really don't see why people feel the need to have the r word in their lingo to throw around as an insult, and why they can't see why using it in a derogatory fashion may be insulting to people that have been victimised with that word is also beyond me. As someone said earlier in the thread, empathy chips not working. It's all fine because you're not in that world, and if it doesn't offend you why should it offend anyone else, right?
    Wrong.

If it offends other people it doesn't mean we can't or should not say it.

Anything I say can be offensive to anyone at anytime, I should not have to walk on eggshells to avoid possibly offending someone.

Blog Entries

Let me just point out, for people who wanted to turn this into a left vs right issue...

My in-laws are huge Tea Party conservatives. And yeah, they are ready to condemn Flacco over it.

Now full disclosure, they ARE Redskins fans...I'm just pointing out, it's not "just liberals".

At this point, because Flacco made his coup-de-grace at Media Day and put out a more thorough statement of apology, I have no problem, because it was obviously a slip up and he noted his association with the Special Olympics. But there are people who apparently want to condemn him either way. And again, not just "the liberals"
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Let me just point out, for people who wanted to turn this into a left vs right issue...

My in-laws are huge Tea Party conservatives. And yeah, they are ready to condemn Flacco over it.

Now full disclosure, they ARE Redskins fans...I'm just pointing out, it's not "just liberals".

At this point, because Flacco made his coup-de-grace at Media Day and put out a more thorough statement of apology, I have no problem, because it was obviously a slip up and he noted his association with the Special Olympics. But there are people who apparently want to condemn him either way. And again, not just "the liberals"
    It's not a liberal vs conservative or left vs right issue.

The world is far more diverse than people falling into one of two sides of a world view.

I wouldn't care if Ronald Reagan came out said please don't say X it offends people, or if Obama said it's okay to say X regardless it's your right. I can say what I want when I want and so can anyone else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It's not a liberal vs conservative or left vs right issue.

The world is far more diverse than people falling into one of two sides of a world view.

I wouldn't care if Ronald Reagan came out said please don't say X it offends people, or if Obama said it's okay to say X regardless it's your right. I can say what I want when I want and so can anyone else.
    Agreed, but if you look back over the whole thread, there were a few references to "lefty" or "left" or "liberal". Just saying...

Now again, my brother-in-law has Cerebral Palsy, so a lot of my position on the issue came from them and working with my brother-in-law, so I can see why it would upset them too, but a few people on here said they were in similar situations with a family member having a mental disability, and saw no issue with the word because the context was not intended to be derogatory.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Agreed, but if you look back over the whole thread, there were a few references to "lefty" or "left" or "liberal". Just saying...

Now again, my brother-in-law has Cerebral Palsy, so a lot of my position on the issue came from them and working with my brother-in-law, so I can see why it would upset them too, but a few people on here said they were in similar situations with a family member having a mental disability, and saw no issue with the word because the context was not intended to be derogatory.
    I've worked with people who were "retarded" or mental disabled, what ever you want to call them. Very rewarding to help some of the nicest people in the world who wouldn't hurt a fly and can't help themselves.

That said, I've used the word, I've heard other people say retard. I don't care nor does it bother me that Joe said it. I just don't see the point in getting worked up or offended by someone using a word. What's the old saying "sticks and stones..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    ... Regarding making a mountain out of a molehill, I tend to agree with those who believe that a little civility and consideration of other's feelings is not out of order...
    Mon ami, I agree that we should all try to be civil to each other. IMO problem is that over the past 30 years or so, we have become a Politically Correct society where speech is disected to the max. If joe had said "mentally challenged" instead of the "R" word (see, it can't even be posted now), would that make his intent any different? No, but the PC crowd would rather vilify someone rather than understand the spirit of his/her words... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    See, that's the rub. We all make judgments about things in life. The PC police, however, seem to think that their judgment is somehow better than everyone else's. I don't have any problem with people having a different opinion than I do. I very much have a problem with their presumption that their opinion is somehow better than anyone else's. Particularly when what they're objecting to is not codified as being illegal. It's no different than a religious person's holier-than-thou attitude about things like premarital sex, gay rights, etc. Someone says something you don't like? Don't listen to them. We don't need your opinion as to why you don't like it. The rest of us are fully capable of deciding what is and is not acceptable.

The only power words have is the power that the listener/reader assigns them. If you (the generic you) get offended by something that someone else says, sorry, but that's YOUR fault. It shows an inability to deal with another person's perspective on something, manifested in the fact that YOU allowed the opinion/words of someone else to dictate how you feel. I'm sorry, but that's weak sauce. There's literally not a person on this planet capable of offending me, and the reason is that while I may not agree with another's opinion on a given topic, I am in no way threatened by that opinion. Being offended by something somebody else says is just evidence of a lack of conviction in your own opinion. For instance, I'm as bald as bald can be, and am not at all offended by any bald joke you can come up with. In fact, I'll probably come up with better ones than you do.

Haha. My drill instructor many years ago said it best: sympathy is in the dictionary, right between shit and syphilis. I don't value empathy from other people--first, if I don't know you, I don't trust your empathy. Second, I think honesty is at least 10x more valuable than empathy. IMO, the world benefits much more from honesty than from empathy. Honesty hurts sometimes, but it hurts a lot less than false empathy.

At the end of the day, the thing that pisses me off about political correctness more than anything else is that it's ridiculous in context of the rest of the world that I've seen. Go spend a few weeks in Afghanistan, where the raping of boys by grown men is a national pastime, corruption does not even exist as a concept, the police are smoking dope 24/7, and a large portion of the people take a dump on the floor in their own mud hut and wipe with their fingers... then come back and tell me that it's really a big deal if somebody uses the word 'retarded' in a certain context. We Americans are SO spoiled rotten...
    There is so much garbage in here.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Again, your opinion, you want to get butt hurt over it, have at it.
    Actually, the first two points I made (that everyone has their own moral compass and that calling me pretentious is a useless logical fallacy) are facts, not opinions.

The last point, of course, IS my opinion, which is why I said it. And trust me, I am far from "butthurt" over the realization that someone I do not know might have a questionable sense of care for his fellow man. If anything, you've acted like the "butthurt" one, screaming about the things you "don't give a shit" about and calling people "pussies."
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    There is so much garbage in here.
    Haha. Garbage it well may be... but it's the logic of one who refuses to be a victim, and does not sympathize with those who want to feel victimized by something as meaningless as hot air.