Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    You didn't read my post correctly. "Gay" is offensive when meant with NO connection to literal gay people.

Precisely.
    An insult is an insult when it is meant as an insult? That is just happy, and I am not referring to homosexuals in any way...

Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    Hooray for living in the world of the butthurt political correctness, where you dot every I and cross every t and don't you dare say anything offensive about anybody ever.
    The basic lack of empathy displayed by some of the posters here is disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Perhaps every time we're about to speak, we should take a step back, count to 10, form our words, then say them slowly so we do not offend anyone.
    You say that sarcastically, but isn't this the foundation of basic manners, which I am sure your parents aimed to teach you when you were young? So because it takes minor effort to not make someone feel bad about who they are, it's not worth it? Cool story.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Context is everything; it's not a word that is obscene, it's the intent behind it. I think it would have been different if Joe had said "whoever came up with that idea is a retard". Nevertheless, it gets some people worked up. I know a guy named David who gets worked up when someone calls him "Dave".

Unfortunately, words are the trigger. Lenny Bruce used to do a bit about the "N word", and Lenny was far from racist.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

Quote Originally Posted by drunkmormon View Post
    An insult is an insult when it is meant as an insult? That is just happy, and I am not referring to homosexuals in any way...
    You should get a little less drunk there, mormon.

"Gay" in a dictionary sense refers (in addition to "being happy," of course) to homosexuality. That's why gay people/homosexuals refer to themselves as "gay." It's not an insult, to them or by the literal meaning. It's an insult when it's used to describe something bad; e.g., it's common for young folks to say, "That's so gay," not meaning something homosexual, but something they think is dumb/they don't like.

Reading comprehension ...

Oddly enough my wife's best friend has 2 autistic children. I just asked her if she would be offended by what Joe said and he response was "NO".

It is all about context. To me the idea IS retarded. It is also moronic, stupid, asinine, dumb and any other word you can find that means the same thing.

Merriam Webster defines retard as.............
    Definition of RETARD
    transitive verb
    : to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment : impede
    : to delay academic progress by failure to promote
    intransitive verb
    : to undergo retardation
    — re·tard·er noun
    See retard defined for English-language learners »
    See retard defined for kids »
    Examples of RETARD

The chemical will retard the spread of fire.
    The problems have retarded the progress of the program.

Definition of RETARD
    : a holding back or slowing down : retardation
    often offensive : a retarded person; also : a person held to resemble a retarded person in behavior

It does not have to be offensive when used in the proper context. Do we not have fire RETARDant?

Blog Entries

When did America turn into a bunch of pussies? You people need to get thicker skin and not give a damn about what people say unless it is directed at you.

Quote Originally Posted by dweezil22 View Post
    Am I glad that "retarded" is not considered a publicly polite word anymore? Yes
    Am I pissed at Flacco or do I think he's a bad person for saying it? No
    Did I cringe when I read that he said it? Yes
    +1. I am a board member of an organization that provides assistance to those with developmental disabilities. I also am guilty, in my younger days of using words such as this in a perjorative context. I think the vast majority of us, especially men, used "retarded" or "gay" or "fag" to put down others. The point is, those of us with a modicum of maturity outgrew it. It doesn't make us hate mongerers, we just know better now.

Joe is still young, but should know better. I think he recognized that the second it came out of his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens825 View Post
    Oddly enough my wife's best friend has 2 autistic children. I just asked her if she would be offended by what Joe said and he response was "NO".
    OK, good for your wife's best friend. If only your wife's best friend was the only person in the whole world, then the fact she personally is not offended would mean no one else has to/should be.

often offensive : a retarded person; also : a person held to resemble a retarded person in behavior
    Cool, so you just ignored this part of the entry.

It does not have to be offensive when used in the proper context. Do we not have fire RETARDant?
    Was Joe talking about fire retardant? Because THAT would be a "proper context."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    When did America turn into a bunch of pussies? You people need to get thicker skin and not give a damn about what people say unless it is directed at you.
    Good question.

Land of the free, home of the bra.... wait, can I say brave, would other nations take offense because that would mean they're not brave or that they're cowards? Maybe we should change that...

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    You should get a little less drunk there, mormon.

"Gay" in a dictionary sense refers (in addition to "being happy," of course) to homosexuality. That's why gay people/homosexuals refer to themselves as "gay." It's not an insult, to them or by the literal meaning. It's an insult when it's used to describe something bad; e.g., it's common for young folks to say, "That's so gay," not meaning something homosexual, but something they think is dumb/they don't like.

Reading comprehension ...
    If you think I am drunk now, then you don't know what an oxy-moron is... I knew exactly what I was saying by using the word happy there.

There's alot "soap box" gum bumping coming from this crew. Everyday it's something.

I love how everyone is using "dis-abled" as the word to replace retarded. Dis-abled implies they cannot do it at all, whereas the root of the word retarded implies they are slower to do it. The current correct PC word is "less-abled." Get with the times...