Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I know who cares... Steve Biscotti and the Maryland stadium authority whom would love to host a Superbowl.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Idiot offends people?
    Here is the actual definition of "idiot" :
    Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

I guess you aught to be ashamed of yourself RavenScallwag... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I think your empathy chip is malfunctioning ...
    Maybe, but I've been called some pretty mean things over the years and don't flip out when someone completely unrelated to me or my situation uses it in a different context.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Here is the actual definition of "idiot" :
    Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

I guess you aught to be ashamed of yourself RavenScallwag... Bc
    Was just going to make this point myself. You have to appreciate the irony of someone offended at the use of the word "retarded," who turns around and uses an epithet that is essentially equivalent to that word, albeit without a political movement associated with it...

But let me reiterate that I do sympathize with the overarching theme that people with disabilities should be respected and not denigrated. I myself had two aunts who have long since passed away who both suffered from mental retardation as a result of birth defects (which I understand is correctly called "intellectual disability" nowadays.) When they grew up in the 1950s life was very difficult for them, but I do not believe the specific label applied to them made their lives hard, but rather the total lack of respect and opportunity they were afforded by society as a whole.

Instead of wasting our time trying to eliminate "offensive" language (see the euphemism treadmill) maybe it's better to actually work on improving our society's treatment of those with disabilities. I really don't think whether people are allowed to casually describe things they dislike as "retarded" without being denigrated for being offensive matters to a mentally retarded person who doesn't have a job, a place to live, or anyone to help them get through their day. I know it's easier to buy a wristband or wear a tee shirt, but that doesn't get much done.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Was just going to make this point myself. You have to appreciate the irony of someone offended at the use of the word "retarded," who turns around and uses an epithet that is essentially equivalent to that word, albeit without a political movement associated with it...

But let me reiterate that I do sympathize with the overarching theme that people with disabilities should be respected and not denigrated. I myself had two aunts who have long since passed away who both suffered from mental retardation as a result of birth defects (which I understand is correctly called "intellectual disability" nowadays.) When they grew up in the 1950s life was very difficult for them, but I do not believe the specific label applied to them made their lives hard, but rather the total lack of respect and opportunity they were afforded by society as a whole.

Instead of wasting our time trying to eliminate "offensive" language (see the euphemism treadmill) maybe it's better to actually work on improving our society's treatment of those with disabilities. I really don't think whether people are allowed to casually describe things they dislike as "retarded" without being denigrated for being offensive matters to a mentally retarded person who doesn't have a job, a place to live, or anyone to help them get through their day. I know it's easier to buy a wristband or wear a tee shirt, but that doesn't get much done.
    Well said! :)

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    "Retarded" as a negative adjective is up there with "gay" these days as something you just don't use, even (or is that especially?) meant with no connection to literally mentally challenged or gay people.
    Whoa! Now it's not OK with the PCers to say "Gay"? That's fuckin' ridiculous! When I grew up, the correct term was "queer" or "homo" which somehow later were deemed to be offensive by Lefty. Then it turned to "gay" as the PC term, with "queer" and "homo" became the bad guys according to the pointy-headed Leftists who make up these rules.

All of you who support PC should read the book "1984" to get an idea as to why normal Americans resent PC's intrusion into our lives.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Gay is obviously still used to describe people who are gay. It is INAPPROPRIATE however to use it simply to describe something as a negative. Someone who is homosexual is gay, something you find annoying or stupid should be called annoying or stupid, not gay or retarded.

No one is trying to control anyone. You're still free to complain about queer retard crippled nigger broads. No one will stop you. We'll just think less of you.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

We could have had a dome long before anyone heard of Flacco but Art didn't want one. He wanted to play out
    in the cold the way football was meant to be. We just beat Manning who has trouble playing in cold weather
    after playing in a dome all those years.

A dome here might have been nice because it could have doubled as a basketball arena to jure an NBA or NHL
    team and the Final Four but we had the best stadium in the country when it was built and now many if not
    most are copied after ours.

The reality of the situation is that in a business setting, especially one that involves the media, if you wish to cater to a broad audience and make tons of money from them, then you must be politically correct. In this business/media context it is essential to avoid any terminology or actions that could be deemed inflammatory by anyone lest you alienate your entire audience and lose sales.

Fortunately, because of the way Joe immediately backed away from his usage of the word retarded, there will not be a lasting negative impact to him or the team. I am not upset he said it, but it was not a very smart thing to say. I am certain Kevin Byrne's complexion went from deep Ravens' purple back to normal in a matter of 3 seconds as he briefly imagined the PR disaster he would have to spin and control only to realize that Joe's fast retraction saved him from most of that heavy lifting.

For those of you who bemoan the world of political correctness that we live in, gnashing your terrible teeth, roaring your terrible roars, and rolling your terrible eyes, we no longer live in the land of the Wild Things. You might as well be howling at the moon. This is the way the world is and it is not going to change back any time soon.

And that's right - I was politically incorrect and called you monsters, but I am not Joe Flacco so it doesn't matter that much.

You know what this thread really needs? Fire, fire, FIRE!!!!!!
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 01-29-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Scally-
    Whew, I thought you were going to post that Flacco used the "N"* word....

* Niners! ;)
    Beau strikes again, lol.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I am absolutely amazed at how sensitive this country has become. I think it's a big reason why we are on such a downward spiral.
    Kids can actually get suspended for bullying these days.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Kids can actually get suspended for bullying these days.
    The HORROR! Next thing you know they're gonna tell me that pinching my secretary's ass and threatening to fire her if she tells me not to is wrong too.

As for this imagined "downward spiral" the country is in, I always laugh when I hear about it. In the 20's jazz and liquor were going to bring the whole country down. Then it was letting women vote. Then it was zoot suits and swing music. Then beatniks. Then rock and roll. Then Elvis' pelvis. Then hippies. Then integration. Then that new fangled Satanic heavy metal. Then no fault divorce. Then rap. Then the gays. Now it's "Political correctness."

Wonder what's going to be ending it all ten years from now.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron