Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

I don't have a problem with what he said or how he said it. He probably could have used better wording but it was nothing more than a simple slip up. If he was on air or in the media saying retard, retarded every 5 minutes then yeah be offended.

In reality is he wrong? Who wants to freeze their balls off? Who is going to show up to a game in 15 inches of snow? It may or may not happen but the simple fact is it could. What happens when a state of emergency is declared when a freak snow storm pops up and dumps blizzard type snow on the Super Bowl City? Postpone the game? Play the game and expect people to risk their life trying to get there?

I know weather is unpredictable but if you plan to host a Super Bowl in a city that is guaranteed to be cold you have to think how it will impact the game. Sure it could be 60 degrees but it could also be 10 with an inch of snow per hour falling.

Blog Entries

Well, then you're most certainly wrong. Language has been evolving, and terms that were once considered appropriate becoming considered rude and unacceptable, since the beginning of time. That's just language and zeitgeist. PC was a hysterical exercise in absurdity where perfectly acceptable terms that have no negative connotations are given forced new names to compensate for imagined slights. It the term is used as an insult, then it by definition does not qualify for the PC tag.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

I don't think this comment changes the public perception of Flacco at all. He's always come off as kind of a dim bulb, he stutters a lot and always seems salty to interviewers the way he calls things "a bunch of crap" and now "retarded" and "stupid" and he likes to make comments about how the media have an agenda and about how he doesn't care about anything. I think that's just Flacco's personality. He is a very regular Joe kind of guy. If he weren't a professional athlete, he has that kind of personality of the guy who would sit around a bonfire with his buddies drinking a 30 pack of bud light every weekend. He has that Jersey drawl in his accent, and his mannerisms and everything support it. Frankly, it's the very reason that the media and the public have never embraced Flacco over the years, and we should all have realized this before. He isn't the "sexy" choice for the media to fall all over, we've been saying that for years, and this is exactly what we meant by that all along. He doesn't do a politically correct, media friendly interview. He just says it like it is, like a down home kind of guy, which makes him come off sometimes as salty and unintelligent. I don't think he's either of those things, it's just the way his personality is as a very laid-back guy who doesn't over-think what he says.

People need to stop being so sensitive and offended so easily. I'm so sick of 'political correctness' and putting nice soothing labels on everything so someone doesn't get their feelings hurt.

How about I'm offended by people getting offended? Seriously, people need to grow thicker skin SMH

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Just to keep the waters roiling, ;) I actually agree with Scally more than it might appear, and for a lot of reasons, some of which I won't address.

But consider a couple things -

Flacco would have been better-served had he just not said his first 2 or 3 sentences in that quote. His point would have been clearer, and the focus would have been on cold weather, domed stadiums, etc., which is where his point belongs. He may be a good (elite? :D) QB, but he needs to go back and re-study whatever media/PR training the Ravens provide to rookies.

On a grammatical and word meaning note, the use of the words "retard", "retarded", and their variations was and is a bit distorted (I'd say perverted, but then we get into a whole new debate!) in our culture. Flacco is certainly welcome to his opinion, but drawing an analogy of how Super Bowl games should be sited and using a distasteful term for the mental capabilities of less fortunate folks is, well...just plain ret...ooops!

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    I should also point out that an evolving language and terms formally considered appropriate becoming impolite isn't what PC ever was about. When people accuse such examples as being PC, or a PC society run amuck, they don't really understand what PC is. Political Correctness, which was an academic issue in the 90's, was ridiculous. This isn't that.
    Then you sir have no idea what PC is...

Poor word choice by Joe. And to be honest, the blowback of people whining about hating "how PC we've become" is just as annoying as PC itself. I mean, times change, attitudes change, whether you like it or not.

But it's a tempest in a tea pot. Non-issue, he apologized, move on.

And poor word choice aside, he's got a point. If they are going to make the Super Bowl an event, putting it in a place where there is such a risk of inclement weather at that time of year is just, well, foolish. And don't think just because New York got the Super Bowl means Baltimore will. Or Pittsburgh. Or Cleveland. Or Cincinatti. Or any other northern market with an outdoor stadium. They got it because New York is self-fellating and wanted in on the Super Bowl action, practicality be damned.

As a father I find myself very offended by the use of the motherfucker, but people keep saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    As a father I find myself very offended by the use of the motherfucker, but people keep saying it.
    +1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Just to keep the waters roiling, ;) I actually agree with Scally more than it might appear, and for a lot of reasons, some of which I won't address.

But consider a couple things -

Flacco would have been better-served had he just not said his first 2 or 3 sentences in that quote. His point would have been clearer, and the focus would have been on cold weather, domed stadiums, etc., which is where his point belongs. He may be a good (elite? :D) QB, but he needs to go back and re-study whatever media/PR training the Ravens provide to rookies.

On a grammatical and word meaning note, the use of the words "retard", "retarded", and their variations was and is a bit distorted (I'd say perverted, but then we get into a whole new debate!) in our culture. Flacco is certainly welcome to his opinion, but drawing an analogy of how Super Bowl games should be sited and using a distasteful term for the mental capabilities of less fortunate folks is, well...just plain ret...ooops!
    Perhaps every time we're about to speak, we should take a step back, count to 10, form our words, then say them slowly so we do not offend anyone. Then nobody will really say what they mean in their own words. It's called Political Correctness. Joe Flacco, IMO is a decent young man, married with a young child, and has never been in trouble with the law. The media loves to ferret out anything that can be construed as controversial just to sell newspapers, magazines, or air time. His use of the "R" word means nothing to me, but there are those who will jump on it and make a mountain out of a molehill. Maybe newsworthy people should not give interviews at all (?) ... Bc

Hooray for living in the world of the butthurt political correctness, where you dot every I and cross every t and don't you dare say anything offensive about anybody ever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Whoa! Now it's not OK with the PCers to say "Gay"? That's fuckin' ridiculous! When I grew up, the correct term was "queer" or "homo" which somehow later were deemed to be offensive by Lefty. Then it turned to "gay" as the PC term, with "queer" and "homo" became the bad guys according to the pointy-headed Leftists who make up these rules.

All of you who support PC should read the book "1984" to get an idea as to why normal Americans resent PC's intrusion into our lives.
    You didn't read my post correctly. "Gay" is offensive when meant with NO connection to literal gay people.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Gay is obviously still used to describe people who are gay. It is INAPPROPRIATE however to use it simply to describe something as a negative. Someone who is homosexual is gay, something you find annoying or stupid should be called annoying or stupid, not gay or retarded.

No one is trying to control anyone. You're still free to complain about queer retard crippled nigger broads. No one will stop you. We'll just think less of you.
    Precisely.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh