Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3940414243 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't know what else to say to you. Your response to the question of "why wouldn't Flacco take a better contract elsewhere" seems to be "because he just won't, he loves the Ravens too much." That's fine, because now I know rational argument won't get through to you.

You're incorrect about how the offer sheet matching process works. If the Browns tender Flacco an offer sheet with a $35m 2013 cap hit, the Ravens must match the offer sheet exactly as it is written. That is the entire point of the process. If they didn't have to match the offer sheet in its entirety, only in total value and total guaranteed money, it would make the "exclusive" tag almost pointless.
    For the love of God, I never said that the Ravens would offer Flacco less money. I said that the Ravens would have to at least match the total vaue and guarenteed money of the best offer that was made for Flacco, mainly to show Flacco that he is being paid fair current market value. I don't believe they have to match exactly how the offer is written though. Flacco would still have to sign an offer sheet. If the Browns made a crazy front-loaded offer for Flacco, but Flacco did not want to play for the Browns, the NFL isn't going to make him play for the Browns. It is not a draft. If I am wrong about this, then I will gladly eat crow.

If Flacco is flexible on how the contract is structured, to allow for a low cap number in 2013, then it doesn't matter how any other team structures their offer. Flacco has to sign an offer sheet. He is in control of where he will play next year even if the franchise tag is applied.

Ravor, if you can clear this up, it will be much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Flacco can also refuse signing with Cleveland too, btw...

We forget this...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Why are we even talking about the Browns 35 million? If we're going to do that, why not just say 50 million?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Why are we even talking about the Browns 35 million? If we're going to do that, why not just say 50 million?
    Because 35 was a carefully constructed number based on lies and witchcraft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Piltnh View Post
    Because 35 was a carefully constructed number based on lies and witchcraft.
    Oh... well, THAT makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Oh... well, THAT makes sense!
    Inorite.

Blog Entries

I think some are assuming Flacco is a money hungry guy that only cares about his bank account. I dont think theres anything being said that suggests that to be the case.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Flacco can also refuse signing with Cleveland too, btw...

We forget this...
    Well this is what I'm saying. I trust Flacco would not risk his career going to a team that hasn't won for a decade.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think some are assuming Flacco is a money hungry guy that only cares about his bank account. I dont think theres anything being said that suggests that to be the case.
    I could be totally wrong here, and I apologize if I am, but didn't you say Rice was greedy at this exact same time last year?

Blog Entries

I believe Flacco will be in Baltimore for years to come, That said, let's speculate that if we use the non-exclusive tag, the Browns scoop him up for over $20 mil. per season with $35 mil. of it coming in his 1st season in Cleveland. That would cost the Browns three 1st round draft choices. Yes, it would negate the Weeden pick of 2012, and they'd lose their 1st in 2013 and 2014. For a team that stinks, this would actually set them back (if that's possible)...and much of their cap wiggle room would be compromised. Just another perspective... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I believe Flacco will be in Baltimore for years to come, That said, let's speculate that if we use the non-exclusive tag, the Browns scoop him up for over $20 mil. per season with $35 mil. of it coming in his 1st season in Cleveland. That would cost the Browns three 1st round draft choices. Yes, it would negate the Weeden pick of 2012, and they'd lose their 1st in 2013 and 2014. For a team that stinks, this would actually set them back (if that's possible)...and much of their cap wiggle room would be compromised. Just another perspective... Bc
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    There was a poster earlier who was trying to point out the difference in the way the Flacco contract situation is being perceived and discussed vs. the Ngata and Suggs contracts of prior years. I didn't agree with a lot of what that poster was saying, but THIS right here is evidence that there IS indeed a double standard.

Were people saying things like "oh Ngata's not going to leave, he doesn't want to play for a losing team, don't worry he won't even consider their offers"... of course not! The notion was that Ngata should use all the leverage he had. Why is Flacco expected to approach the situation differently from his perspective? Why is he expected to give hometown discounts, etc.?

I think Flacco should make whatever decision is best for him and his family. I don't think he's somehow dramatically different from other players because he's a quarterback. That's silly and illustrative of a mental disconnect that people seem to still have with Flacco.
    That's all I was saying. But this is an emotional issue and things get distorted very easily.