Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2627282930 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I'll take a shot at this -

7 years/ $126M base deal (yearly average $18M), with $50M guaranteed.

2013 Signing bonus - $20M
    2014 Option Bonus - $10M
    2015 2nd Option Bonus - $10M

Base Salaries:

2013 - $3M (guaranteed)
    2014 - $7M (guaranteed)
    2015 - $10M
    2016 - $12M
    2017 - $15M
    2018 - $19M
    2019 - $20M

That would produce Cap Numbers of:

2013 - $7M
    2014 - $13M
    2015 - $18M
    2016 - $20M
    2017 - $23M
    2018 - $23M
    2019 - $22M

Deal - like his rookie deal - would include escalators that would increase his base salary for the next year for Pro-Bowls made ($100K), playoff games won ($200K), MVP ($500K), SB wins ($500K), and certain statistical rankings.
    That's $10 million more guaranteed than Brees got which should more that make up for the under $20 million a year number.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's $10 million more guaranteed than Brees got which should more that make up for the under $20 million a year number.
    Except that it has been stated that he'd prefer a larger annual average over a larger base. I think he truly feels he will see the majority of the deal and is less concerned with guaranteed money.

I'll take a shot at this -

7 years/ $126M base deal (yearly average $18M), with $50M guaranteed.

2013 Signing bonus - $20M
    2014 Option Bonus - $10M
    2015 2nd Option Bonus - $10M

Base Salaries:

2013 - $3M (guaranteed)
    2014 - $7M (guaranteed)
    2015 - $10M
    2016 - $12M
    2017 - $15M
    2018 - $19M
    2019 - $20M

That would produce Cap Numbers of:

2013 - $7M
    2014 - $13M
    2015 - $18M
    2016 - $20M
    2017 - $23M
    2018 - $23M
    2019 - $22M

Deal - like his rookie deal - would include escalators that would increase his base salary for the next year for Pro-Bowls made ($100K), playoff games won ($200K), MVP ($500K), SB wins ($500K), and certain statistical rankings.
    This seems pretty much ideal, although it would be betting pretty heavily on the notion that the cap will jump substantially in 2014 and beyond. All in all, it's the best that can be done. The only caveat I would add is that there may need to be some additional "funny money" sort of incentives added to get up to the magical 20m a year number. Including all the incentives you've listed only gets you to a max yearly average of 19.5. I'm sure they could figure something out to get to 20m, thereby satisfying the "highest paid player in NFL history" bar.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    What would Linta report this as? I suppose max contract value would increase each of the last 6 years salaries by $1.7m each for additional bonuses(3 playoff wins, SB win, MVP and probowl)??? So 7/136.2 m?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The only caveat I would add is that there may need to be some additional "funny money" sort of incentives added to get up to the magical 20m a year number. Including all the incentives you've listed only gets you to a max yearly average of 19.5. I'm sure they could figure something out to get to 20m, thereby satisfying the "highest paid player in NFL history" bar.
    Yeah, I was only using those as examples (probably should have added an "etc." at the end. There could be statistical levels like money at 35/40 TD, 4000 yards, 100+ season passer rating, etc.

Those could easily goose the total value to the magical $20M mark.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Yeah, I was only using those as examples (probably should have added an "etc." at the end. There could be statistical levels like money at 35/40 TD, 4000 yards, 100+ season passer rating, etc.

Those could easily goose the total value to the magical $20M mark.
    With Jim Caldwell as the new OC, there is now a legitimate chance for Joe to hit such numbers.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    With Jim Caldwell as the new OC, there is now a legitimate chance for Joe to hit such numbers.
    Yep. Flacco was certainly on that pace after Caldwell took over.

A moment to reflect here, if you please..... Remember when Bile Kohler was our QB? (yes, that's intended to be a pun, albeit not a very good one), Did you dream that we'd EVER have a quarterback who wanted to, and rightfully deserved to..... be the highest paid player in the freakin' NFL? What a delightful conundrum, eh?

Blog Entries

On a similar note, my sister-in-law (a one-time waitress) is negotiating with Denny's for somewhere between $8 and $9 an hour. It's been going on for quite some time, and both sides are exhausted. Denny's management wants to take a 24 hour break, but my sister-in-law is insisting on a 6 month hiatus. Man, a BIG BUCKS contract is a hard point to agree on. I guess she'll just have to sleep 'til noon, play with her cat, then ponder the situation a while longer before realizing gainful employment... Bc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    On a similar note, my sister-in-law (a one-time waitress) is negotiating with Denny's for somewhere between $8 and $9 an hour. It's been going on for quite some time, and both sides are exhausted. Denny's management wants to take a 24 hour break, but my sister-in-law is insisting on a 6 month hiatus. Man, a BIG BUCKS contract is a hard point to agree on. I guess she'll just have to sleep 'til noon, play with her cat, then ponder the situation a while longer before realizing gainful employment... Bc
    Is Denny's gonna use the exclusive server tag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For all the people arguing that Joe might be worth x amount, but not y amount, and that his selfishness and greediness will prevent the Ravens from re-signing key players...

the difference you're talking about is approximately $4-5M (from $15/16M to $20M). How, exactly, is that $4-5M supposed to account for ALL those players that Joe's greediness is preventing the Ravens from re-signing? Isn't that just more than a little ridiculous?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    For all the people arguing that Joe might be worth x amount, but not y amount, and that his selfishness and greediness will prevent the Ravens from re-signing key players...

the difference you're talking about is approximately $4-5M (from $15/16M to $20M). How, exactly, is that $4-5M supposed to account for ALL those players that Joe's greediness is preventing the Ravens from re-signing? Isn't that just more than a little ridiculous?
    I agree. It's not going to make a difference. They'll structure it so the cap number will be lower up until the cap goes up in 2016. Plus well have big contracts expiring. Suggs Ngata

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I haven't seen or heard too many people criticizing Flacco about these contract negotiations. I think that the idea, is that his contract is a little different, because of the nature of the position. However, I don't think that is completely fair to him. Again, Terrell Suggs did not take a hometown discount, and even won an arbitration case which cemented the 'Hybrid' position into the psyche' of positional labeling in the NFL. Haloti Ngata did not take a hometown discount. Ed Reed was even vocal about not taking a hometown discount and being paid like the best, since he was the best. He's probably the only one who saw any sort of criticism for his statements. Ray Lewis has never taken a hometown discount.

These are the guys that we held responsible for many of Joe's early winning success. These are the guys that we felt the team should be left in the hands of, because Joe couldn't handle it. Now, Joe is the key reason for the team's success. I think he deserves the same respect.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore