Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast

Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    And you also had Warren Sapp saying he isn't even top 10.
    So?

Blog Entries

I don't know why anyone would expect Joe to take a hometown discount, all the crap he's been through.

Terrell Suggs didn't take a hometown discount. He even went to arbitration.
    Haloti Ngata didn't take a hometown discount.
    Ray Lewis never took a hometown discount. If I remember correctly, he signed an extension that everybody and their mother advised him not to sign, only to complain about it a few years later.

Ed Reed damn sure didn't take a hometown discount and has even made it clear vocally that he wouldn't.

So why all of a sudden people expect Joe to take one and think about using that money for talent around him, when the team's best talent has a history of not thinking along those lines, is beyond me. None of them even had their play criticized nearly as much as Flacco.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I don't know why anyone would expect Joe to take a hometown discount, all the crap he's been through.

Ray Lewis never took a hometown discount. If I remember correctly, he signed an extension that everybody and their mother advised him not to sign, only to complain about it a few years later.

Ed Reed damn sure didn't take a hometown discount and has even made it clear vocally that he wouldn't.

So why all of a sudden people expect Joe to take one and think about using that money for talent around him, when the team's best talent has a history of not thinking along those lines, is beyond me. None of them even had their play criticized nearly as much as Flacco.
    Rack this post. For as much as the defensive guys have been getting paid on the Ravens, Flacco doesn't need to take any hometown discount. Flacco deserves the contract he's going to get.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Rack this post. For as much as the defensive guys have been getting paid on the Ravens, Flacco doesn't need to take any hometown discount. Flacco deserves the contract he's going to get.
    The fans wanted Joe to prove it. We tried to tell them that he'd skyrocket once Cameron was gone. He skyrocketed, proved it and now they have to pay him and they don't want to empty their pockets.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

I've been saying this all along.

Yeah, I think that the hometown discount is mostly a myth. Players will take very slight paycuts to play for better teams, sure, but player's careers are short enough that they need to squeeze every last dime out before they retire or are forced out of the league. The main hometown advantages that you have are the ability to extend contracts if you play ahead, or slap franchise taps on up to one player a year. In both of those cases, it's usually only the best players that you're talking about. It's hard to control the fates of your middle of the road players. With QB's like Sanchez making $12mm a year now, you can't expect to pay a Super Bowl QB much less than $17-20mm per year. It's a wonder that Tom Brady/Drew Brees/Aaron Rodgers aren't making $25mm per year, considering their value. Peyton Manning's contract makes sense consider his health questions and advanced age. At this point, you'd have to consider Joe Flacco's value way higher than Big Ben's. Big Ben is a lot older and has serious health concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Yeah, I think that the hometown discount is mostly a myth. Players will take very slight paycuts to play for better teams, sure, but player's careers are short enough that they need to squeeze every last dime out before they retire or are forced out of the league. The main hometown advantages that you have are the ability to extend contracts if you play ahead, or slap franchise taps on up to one player a year. In both of those cases, it's usually only the best players that you're talking about. It's hard to control the fates of your middle of the road players. With QB's like Sanchez making $12mm a year now, you can't expect to pay a Super Bowl QB much less than $17-20mm per year. It's a wonder that Tom Brady/Drew Brees/Aaron Rodgers aren't making $25mm per year, considering their value. Peyton Manning's contract makes sense consider his health questions and advanced age. At this point, you'd have to consider Joe Flacco's value way higher than Big Ben's. Big Ben is a lot older and has serious health concerns.
    LO, Sanchez makes over $14m a year on a contract average basis... Kevin Kolb , Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Cassell are in the $12m range... so it's a oretty widespread phenomenon of TERRIBLE Qb's making well into 8 figures.

Blog Entries

Don't see how Flacco has been through loads of crap being in Bmore, I think that's a really unfair assessment, the FO haven't traded up to get Julio Jones, but look at the other areas of Atlanta's team that are suffering because of all those picks they gave up for an elite wide out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Don't see how Flacco has been through loads of crap being in Bmore, I think that's a really unfair assessment, the FO haven't traded up to get Julio Jones, but look at the other areas of Atlanta's team that are suffering because of all those picks they gave up for an elite wide out.
    I agree this post. I don't think Flacco has been through a lot of crap at all with the Ravens. He has always had a very good running game and defense to take pressure off of him. He has not been asked to carry the team until he was ready to do so. We may argue if he was ready last year or this year, but he certainly wasn't ready to be the focal point of the offense starting as a rookie coming out of Delaware. The Ravens have not had top end WRs, but their WRs have not been garbage either. The Ravens defense before this year was a Top 5 defense for years, which lessened the number of points that the offense needed to put up, further taking pressure off of Flacco. I give Flacco a lot of credit for developing into a very good QB, but let's not go overboard with the assertion that he has had it so rough here.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I agree this post. I don't think Flacco has been through a lot of crap at all with the Ravens. He has always had a very good running game and defense to take pressure off of him. He has not been asked to carry the team until he was ready to do so. We may argue if he was ready last year or this year, but he certainly wasn't ready to be the focal point of the offense starting as a rookie coming out of Delaware. The Ravens have not had top end WRs, but their WRs have not been garbage either. The Ravens defense before this year was a Top 5 defense for years, which lessened the number of points that the offense needed to put up, further taking pressure off of Flacco. I give Flacco a lot of credit for developing into a very good QB, but let's not go overboard with the assertion that he has had it so rough here.
    :word

I don't care what anyone says about Flacco being so great anymore, because I am actually starting to think he may be a top 5 MAYBE even top 3 QB, but it really irks me when someone like Ex come out and say how Joe's had it so hard in Baltimore, its just nonsense. If you wanna really take a look at who's had it rough, look no further than all those Cleveland QBs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    :word

I don't care what anyone says about Flacco being so great anymore, because I am actually starting to think he may be a top 5 MAYBE even top 3 QB, but it really irks me when someone like Ex come out and say how Joe's had it so hard in Baltimore, its just nonsense. If you wanna really take a look at who's had it rough, look no further than all those Cleveland QBs.
    Cam Cameron as your OC for four and a half years.
    Run first system, that you catch heat for not putting up big numbers for.
    Being called out by your own defensive teammates, when the issues of the offense haven't even mainly been your fault.
    Having the ball taken out of your hands after every little mistake.
    Constantly asked to make pinpoint throws 20 yards down the field without underneath relief.
    Micromanaged by the coaching staff, due to their risk averse philosophy.