Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

I just hope that its only the guaranteed money thats an issue here and not the actual cap hit. At this point, I'd say Flacco is worth 16.5 a year, if he wins the SB, it goes up to 17.5, hopefully Flacco agrees to that, and then the guaranteed money will be the only issue, as it was with Rice. Because the franchise tag is so huge for the QB, it is probably the most important contract to get done before the deadline in franchise history. If we can get Flaccos deal done, we can enjoy a solid offseason of one or two FA signings, and enjoy a draft of 11 picks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I just hope that its only the guaranteed money thats an issue here and not the actual cap hit. At this point, I'd say Flacco is worth 16.5 a year, if he wins the SB, it goes up to 17.5, hopefully Flacco agrees to that, and then the guaranteed money will be the only issue, as it was with Rice. Because the franchise tag is so huge for the QB, it is probably the most important contract to get done before the deadline in franchise history. If we can get Flaccos deal done, we can enjoy a solid offseason of one or two FA signings, and enjoy a draft of 11 picks.
    It's all in how they structure it man.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    I mean, you can't sit here and say you didn't complain about Joe's offensive struggles (especially on the road), over the past 2 years.

I'm really glad he turned it up when it mattered but it doesn't change the fact that his yards and TD totals are middle of the pack, mainly because of his inconsistency. I don't think top 10 in yards is THAT much to ask over the course of a regular season (which he has done once in his career). It's not the end all be all, clearly, but it's also not too much to ask from a guy who might get paid 18-20 mil per year.
    His inconsistency, or the inconsistency of the entire offense?

Blog Entries

That's fair; I could change that statement to: "I don't think it's to much to ask for Flacco to have a QB Rating (which takes into account TD:INT ratio), in the top 10 if we're going to pay him 18-20 mil." Again, he's only done that once.

I'm not saying Joe isn't a good QB, I'm just saying to pump the brakes a little on "pay him WHATEVER he wants." All I'm saying is pay him in relation to his performance over the past 5 years, not just his performance over the past 4 games.
    Hes only being paid in part because of his past. Its about trajectory which his is on an upward trend due to having a new OC and realizing how the old one was holding him back. being 27 and making a SB and possibly winning, set you apart from the rest of the pack. What youre arguing im not even sure the team is at this point and theyre the ones trying to make a case to pay him less. Holding against him his OC who the team admitted was an issue by firing him mid season is really hurting that argument.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

La Canfora seconds Rapoport's sentiment that the durable and relatively young Flacco is more concerned with a high annual salary than upfront guarantees.

It seems that $20 million per year is Flacco's "magic number." If Newsome comes close to hitting that mark, "the happier (Flacco) will be and the more quickly this long-term deal will get done," La Canfora reported.
    It sounds like Flacco is willing to take less guaranteed to get a higher annual salary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    It sounds like Flacco is willing to take less guaranteed to get a higher annual salary.
    well thats unfortunate. as the Ravens id much rather have a higher guaranteed than annual salary for the same reasons. Hes young and durable so it doesnt seem as risky to invest in that especially at QB where they typically see out their contracts anyway.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Who knows what that really means though.

What player in their right mind would rather LESS guaranteed money?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Nope, it isn't the same. Certainly Cameron is partly to blame but it's hard to blame him for the first Denver game debacle, in which Flacco looked like the same inconsistent guy we had seen over the past 4 years.
    The Ravens offense for the last 5 years has been set up for inconsistency at the QB position. Look at the passes the QB is asked to make. It is deep vertical routes and out routes. This team goes deep more than any other team which is a very low percentage of success. Until Cam was fired there were very few easy passes in the game plans. Easy passes are what allow a QB to get into a rhythm. The Ravens were a run heavy don't turn the ball over offense. They had few weapons at the receiver position. T smith was far from a complete WR last year and he still is not a complete wr. I would love to see the percentage of passing plays that were run out of the I formation with only 1 receiver out on a route. There is not a QB on the planet that would have been consistent in that offense. You can't ask qb to throw 25 times a game a large percentage of the passes being deep balls and in 3rd and long situation and expect consistency. Flacco has been consistent when they open up the offense. All QBs have bad games and bad passes. When you are running a conservative offense those mistakes and bad games look far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    The Ravens offense for the last 5 years has been set up for inconsistency at the QB position. Look at the passes the QB is asked to make. It is deep vertical routes and out routes. This team goes deep more than any other team which is a very low percentage of success. Until Cam was fired there were very few easy passes in the game plans. Easy passes are what allow a QB to get into a rhythm. The Ravens were a run heavy don't turn the ball over offense. They had few weapons at the receiver position. T smith was far from a complete WR last year and he still is not a complete wr. I would love to see the percentage of passing plays that were run out of the I formation with only 1 receiver out on a route. There is not a QB on the planet that would have been consistent in that offense. You can't ask qb to throw 25 times a game a large percentage of the passes being deep balls and in 3rd and long situation and expect consistency. Flacco has been consistent when they open up the offense. All QBs have bad games and bad passes. When you are running a conservative offense those mistakes and bad games look far worse.
    Agreed. For Joe to have achieved what he's been able to achieve in that train wreck of an offense under Cameron is a minor miracle in itself.

On NFL Network right now Emmitt Smith just called Joe Flacco elite. :-)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Joe has darn near met every incentive in his rookie contract. That's part of why he might be willing to focus on the higher annual salary.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    On NFL Network right now Emmitt Smith just called Joe Flacco elite. :-)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    And you also had Warren Sapp saying he isn't even top 10.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold