Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3031323334 ... LastLast

Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    Teams were contemplating a franchise-tag run at Flacco before the postseason

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...he-postseason/
    Can you see Flacco in a Browns uniform? I think it's safe to say that day will never come. I think Joe would retire from football first. Flacco has pretty much stated he is a Raven for life so I'm sure a deal will be worked out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens27Girl View Post
    Can you see Flacco in a Browns uniform? I think it's safe to say that day will never come. I think Joe would retire from football first. Flacco has pretty much stated he is a Raven for life so I'm sure a deal will be worked out.
    There is no way Flacco is going anywhere. The FO will give him the exclusive tag as a worst case scenario, but I expect they'll get a deal done before they have to use a tag.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think you are correct... and what's your point? Yes, 2 of the very best defensive players in all of football compose 20% roughly of our cap. Where is the issue?
    Yeah, agree. Most teams spend a ton of cap space on a couple studs, pay good players a chunk of space, and then fill the rest out with young draft picks and role players. This shouldn't shock anyone.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Great piece on National Football Post about the Cap implications of using either of the Franchise Tags:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...oe-Flacco.html
    Good stuff.

It sounds bad, but I think we can clear $10-12 million with minimal damage...at least not the cap disaster the media is trying to make it out to be.

Someone...I can't forget who it was, but they put out a list of cuts that would clear upwards of $15-16 million that would cause minimal damage IMHO...I'd extend Boldin and Jacoby instead of cutting one or the other.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I think you are correct... and what's your point? Yes, 2 of the very best defensive players in all of football compose 20% roughly of our cap. Where is the issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Yeah, agree. Most teams spend a ton of cap space on a couple studs, pay good players a chunk of space, and then fill the rest out with young draft picks and role players. This shouldn't shock anyone.

- C -
    Yeah...does this guy think that no other top teams have non-QB's with cap numbers that high?

The only teams that don't, are teams that don't have many good players.

Andre Johnson, and Jonathan Joseph take up over $25 million of the Texans cap.

Vince Wilfork and Logan Mankins take up over $20.5 million of the Patriots cap.

There are numerous other instances...good teams have more highly paid players than just the QB.

The Falcons are going to have to deal with this next year with Matt Ryan...the 49ers will have to deal with Kapernick in 2 years...both have other players who are taking up big chunks of the cap now.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Megatron and Suh will be a 30 mil cap hit for next season for the Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Megatron and Suh will be a 30 mil cap hit for next season for the Lions.
    Do Suggs and Ngata deliver the same bang for the buck as Megatron and Suh?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Pronbably... Ngata as injured as he's been has still clearly outplayed Suh, and Suggs was DPOY last year.. and are cheaper

Pronbably... Ngata as injured as he's been has still clearly outplayed Suh, and Suggs was DPOY last year.. and are cheaper
    Yeah, okay.

smh

Yeah, okay.

smh
    What do you disagree with?
    If you are trying to say that Suh is even remotely close to being a better overall player then a healthy Ngata, then there is nothing to talk about as you obviously don't watch lineplay closely.
    If you are trying to say that Megatron has $5.5m more effect then last year's DPOY, I'm not sure I can agree with that either. Remember, DET went what 4-12 again this year? One of CJ's best years...

Although I don't know if Suggs will return to DPOY level, he gets a mulligan this year and we'll see what he has to offer next year.

Ngata has to stay healthy...when he is, other than Suh's first year, he has outplayed Suh.

While those contracts will likely have to be visited next year and the years after that, but I see no reason to make a big deal out of them now. I'd much rather keep them both this year than keeping Kruger, Cary, and Ellerbe if that's what you are getting at.

What do you disagree with?
    If you are trying to say that Suh is even remotely close to being a better overall player then a healthy Ngata, then there is nothing to talk about as you obviously don't watch lineplay closely.
    If you are trying to say that Megatron has $5.5m more effect then last year's DPOY, I'm not sure I can agree with that either. Remember, DET went what 4-12 again this year? One of CJ's best years...
    We'll agree to disagree.