Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

His numbers have been nothing but "elite" since Caldwell took over (105.5 QBR 12TD 1 INT). The ability has always been there, he just hasnt been put in position to put up the stats that others do, nor was he asked to. Most people say the inconsistency is the biggest issue but hes been completely consistent since Caldwell took over. Assuming its true that they offered him that based on what they felt he was capable of before, how can they not project him higher now. 16 million is where theyre at, hes raised his negotiating point to 20. they meet at 17 or 18 a year thats not really beyond the realm of plausible. 96-108 million over 6 years, structured properly wont be much different and congrats to Flacco for saying hes a top 5 and going out and getting exactly that despite the haters.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    The Ravens don't have a crystal ball. At several points during the season, when Joe wasn't playing nearly as well as he is now, many board members were saying how that was actually working in our favor.

And it's not like the Ravens didn't try to work out a deal with Joe.
    Exactly. Was anyone here really saying that they should have offered him $20M/year back in Sept?

They supposedly were offering him $15-16/year back in Sept. They apparently weren't that far off on the total value, but the guaranteed money wasn't to Flacco's liking. Given his inconsistencies to that point, I don't think anyone would have complained about the Ravens trying to be a bit protective of the guaranteed money (since that's what can come back an haunt you if the inconsistencies continue).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Exactly. Was anyone here really saying that they should have offered him $20M/year back in Sept?
    I can offer you a lot of names that actually did believe that around here lol...

I'm still not quite sure if Flacco is worth 20 mills a year. 16.5 a year is about fair IMO, he is pretty much in the same market as Roethlisberger and Eli IMO, looks like he sees him self even higher than that...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I can offer you a lot of names that actually did believe that around here lol...

I'm still not quite sure if Flacco is worth 20 mills a year. 16.5 a year is about fair IMO, he is pretty much in the same market as Roethlisberger and Eli IMO, looks like he sees him self even higher than that...
    You can't look back at contracts from years ago. They are looking at contracts which just got signed and potential future contracts. A 36 year old Peyton coming off a major neck surgery got 5/96 mil. Why wouldn't Flacco ask for 20 mil? He's young, never missed a game and been on absolute fire once Cameron got fired. Flacco is a franchise QB that you build around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Im hopeful that he "settles" for that 16-17 range but i think hes said as much. He doesnt think hes one of the best, he thinks he IS the best. Knowing thats how he approaches the game i dont think its odd to ask for the most money, but hopefully his agent and ozzie can come to a compromise.

If it really was just guaranteed money being the issue, i dont see an issue. Hes going to be our qb the next 6-7 years regardless unless hes out of the league due to injury, which you cant really prepare for.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

They supposedly were offering him $15-16/year back in Sept. They apparently weren't that far off on the total value, but the guaranteed money wasn't to Flacco's liking. Given his inconsistencies to that point, I don't think anyone would have complained about the Ravens trying to be a bit protective of the guaranteed money (since that's what can come back an haunt you if the inconsistencies continue).
    I don't like the term "hometown discount", but it would be nice if Joe decided winning consistently depends on keeping a strong supporting cast and that winning consistently is more fun then earning $20 million vs. $16 million and maybe not winning consistently.

Fix that guaranteed money part Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    You can't look back at contracts from years ago. They are looking at contracts which just got signed and potential future contracts. A 36 year old Peyton coming off a major neck surgery got 5/96 mil. Why wouldn't Flacco ask for 20 mil? He's young, never missed a game and been on absolute fire once Cameron got fired. Flacco is a franchise QB that you build around.
    ^^^This. It seems as if some folks still don't really get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post
    I don't like the term "hometown discount", but it would be nice if Joe decided winning consistently depends on keeping a strong supporting cast and that winning consistently is more fun then earning $20 million vs. $16 million and maybe not winning consistently.

Fix that guaranteed money part Ravens.
    Maybe if Suggs and Ngata and some others had taken that approach, it would either be more relevant to Joe, or wouldn't even be an issue at all. The reality is, Joe is worth more to the team's success, past, present, and future, than any other player. That's the true nature of a franchise QB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    ^^^This. It seems as if some folks still don't really get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Maybe if Suggs and Ngata and some others had taken that approach, it would either be more relevant to Joe, or wouldn't even be an issue at all. The reality is, Joe is worth more to the team's success, past, present, and future, than any other player. That's the true nature of a franchise QB.
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rlh445 View Post
    Dude, Flacco's entire body of work is gonna be darn near impossible to replicate for any new QB's run in a five year stretch. WITH Cameron here as the OC, Flacco was already impressive. The 'inconsistency' everybody loves to carry on about was a symptom of the calls, not the quarterback. Flacco has done everything asked of him AND MORE and this postseason run isn't just three games, it was a glimpse of what could have and should have been a couple of years ago 'till now if we had just told Cam to stuff it. THIS is what we've had under center. THIS is what we've been wanting to see in Baltimore for far too long. THIS is what Harbs wanted during the AFCCG when he said, 'This isn't working, we have to open it up, we gotta get aggressive,' on the sidelines. The defense definitely carried Joe for his first two years. After that, it's been all Joe despite having less than stellar parts to work with. Now that we actually have more than one reliable receivers and an OC that's willing to use every part of the field, this is what we're looking at.

I'm not saying Joe should be paid like a great. I'm not saying I wouldn't love him to take 16 or 17 million instead just so we have more room to maneuver. I'm just saying that this price didn't come out of nowhere and it's not just about three postseason games. It IS about his entire body of work and what the team realizes could have been far earlier if we'd just done what we needed to do instead of waiting because our backs were against the wall. He's gonna get paid for his body of work, and seeing as how it's phenomenal, he's gonna get what he wants.
    Wins is a terrible measuring stick for a QB. Up until last year, Sanchez had comparable win statistics through his first 3 years, including 2 AFC Championship appearances.

The guy has earned his cash and if/when he wins the Super Bowl it will be a great feeling. However, 3-4 games of amazing play doesn't really assuage worries of inconsistency. The guy is a great QB and will be here for a long time.

However, no one has enough information to say that Flacco has gotten over those consistency issues. 3 games is just not enough time. Which is why you have to base the contract on his entire body of work (0 Pro Bowls, never passed for more than 4000 yards, etc) rather than JUST the past 3 games. The past three games are important. Winning a Super Bowl is important. It's earned him a lot of money. But you can't discount his past inconsistency an,d at times, 'pedestrian' numbers just because he has had a strong playoff run.

That's all I'm saying. The only way to prove he is a consistent QB is to be consistent. And he hasn't had enough time to do that. What if he comes out, god forbid, and throws 2 INTS and goes 12/30 for 170 yards in the Super Bowl? Is he still the 'consistent' QB that you project him to be?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Plus, by several different accounts, the Ravens offered Flacco a 6 year $96 million deal. That's not peanuts.
    Peanuts compared to what he'll end up getting if they win this Super Bowl.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im hopeful that he "settles" for that 16-17 range but i think hes said as much. He doesnt think hes one of the best, he thinks he IS the best. Knowing thats how he approaches the game i dont think its odd to ask for the most money, but hopefully his agent and ozzie can come to a compromise.

If it really was just guaranteed money being the issue, i dont see an issue. Hes going to be our qb the next 6-7 years regardless unless hes out of the league due to injury, which you cant really prepare for.
    Totally agree, the guaranteed money shouldn't be an issue at ALL IMO. He has next to zero injury history, even at college.