Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

OT - Funny Article on the AFCCG and NFCCG (Busts Matt Ryan & Brady)

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-championships

Some tidbits:

Matt Ryan is an unclutch fraud of a quarterback...

And this was at home, too, where he spends most of his days beating up on cupcakes and terrible pass defenses. Imagine if it had been outdoors, where he's ter—

Whoa. Sorry about that. Think my wiring shorted out somewhere. Matt Ryan is a pretty good quarterback, guys. Can you believe how well he played against one of the league's best pass defenses?

Nobody has had a game like that all season against the 49ers except for Russell Wilson, and Wilson only played that well on half as many dropbacks as Ryan. He lost his starting halfback during the game and basically had no running game to work with, but it didn't matt—

Of course it mattered, dummy. Who cares what Ryan did in the first half? You stuck your head out of your spreadsheet long enough to actually watch the game this week, right? Do I have to give you a quiz? Can you pick the security guard that had his entire lower torso destroyed by Julio Jones out of a lineup? I didn't think so. Speaking of, most of Ryan's big day was really Jones just leaping over and through defensive backs to make huge catches,
    On Brady:

When discussing the clutch records of athletes like Matt Ryan and LeBron James in the past, I've brought up the idea of looking at Tom Brady's playoff record in reverse chronological order to highlight just how much of our opinions on athletes can be defined by what they do early in the "big moments" of their career.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: OT - Funny Article on the AFCCG and NFCCG (Busts Matt Ryan & Brady)

He was being sarcastic. Barnwell thinks Matt Ryan is the second coming and has said Joe Flacco is average at best for his entire career. He described Flacco's play against the Colts as "decent" when he threw for 23.5 yards per completion (it was the only mention of Flacco's performance that game in the whole article). The guy is always wrong and will never admit when he's wrong (ala Skip Bayless). If Flacco struggles in the SB, he will write an article talking about how bad he is while completely ignoring his performance to this point. Barnwell is horrible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ccoolahan14 View Post
    He was being sarcastic. Barnwell thinks Matt Ryan is the second coming and has said Joe Flacco is average at best for his entire career. He described Flacco's play against the Colts as "decent" when he threw for 23.5 yards per completion (it was the only mention of Flacco's performance that game in the whole article). The guy is always wrong and will never admit when he's wrong (ala Skip Bayless). If Flacco struggles in the SB, he will write an article talking about how bad he is while completely ignoring his performance to this point. Barnwell is horrible.
    Ahh, I didn't know any of that.

I just thought his ranting about Matt Ryan was pretty funny and his reverse Tom Brady career was amusing.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he enjoys Mr. Ryan's hacky-sack in his mouth.

Blog Entries

waaaaay too long and he's just trying to say how great Ryan is and he blames the bad plays on other players

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    waaaaay too long and he's just trying to say how great Ryan is and he blames the bad plays on other players
    See, I didn't read it that way at all.

I read it as an attempt to be funny.

I'm assuming folks here hate Barnwell for his article, the Myth of Joe Flacco: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-their-defense

What's funny is everybody is basically saying the same thing with different emphasis. Describe Joe Flacco:
    - He has a rocket arm (that's good)
    - He's very streaky in games, completing like 11 passes in a row, then getting nothing done for an entire quarter (that's bad)
    - He never gets injured (that's good)
    - He's consistent in big games (i.e. he's never been accused of choking like say, Romo) (that's good)
    - He plays for a very well managed team with many non QB strengths (defense and running game most easily argued, OL was probably average or slightly below most of this year) (that's bad, if you're arguing Flacco is "elite")
    - He has all sorts of crazy good stats for games won and post season performances, on par with some of clear Hall of Fame level QB's (that's good)
    - Over his career, he has had pretty average stats (that's bad)

What do you end up with? Flacco is an average, or slightly above average QB that has several traits that, in my opinion, make him a great fit for the Ravens. Most teams do not have the luxury of having a "pretty good" QB play all 16 games, and playoff games without getting injured.

He also has a resume that makes it very easy to call him over-rated, due to the disparity between his relatively average regular season stats and his fantastic W-L and post season records. I'm not an expert on football history, but I think if Flacco were more photogenic and in a bigger media market, you could end up with a career and mythology very similar to Namath's (which is to say, someone that I think was ultimately overrated).

In the end, I think Flacco is a good QB for the Ravens at this moment, and that makes me happy, and screw the whole "elite vs. not" and "better than Ryan or not" discussions.

First time I've read something of his(It's bad)
    Typical talking head( Hates Flacco for his success)
    Really provides no facts for Flacco being average(Most wins in 5 years, Most playoff wins in 5 years,Things like that)
    Flacco playing in the SB after 5 years(It's true, believe it or not)
    This writer being embarrassed by Flacco(PRICELESS)
    Time wasted reading this crock( unretrievable)
    Guess this year he is amongst the talking heads who should be eating crow regarding the Ravens success this year.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Really provides no facts for Flacco being average(Most wins in 5 years, Most playoff wins in 5 years,Things like that)
    Guess this year he is amongst the talking heads who should be eating crow regarding the Ravens success this year.
    So you really think this guy was "Hmm, what should I do today? I'll lie and talk trash about that jerk Joe Flacco?". Really?

I also don't think this playoff run invalidates the argument that Flacco is basically an average QB with some extra nice traits. See Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson. (http://profootballmock.com/nfl-qbs-o...here-were-two/)

Blog Entries

Theres still people claiming Flacco is average? Cam Cameron hasnt been here for 6 weeks now... let those numbers do the talking and get back to me with how average he is or how inconsistent hes been.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    lol Awesome.

Oh, and if Flacco isn't "Elite" - he's at least "very good". Nothing wrong with that.
    Self appointed Ravens SuperFan in the southern hemisphere/New Zealand.

If anyone is suggesting Barnwell has anything positive to say about Joe, they obviously haven't followed him long enough.

Trust me. He has his favorites, and Flacco is the last person he would give props