Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Pollard: NFL will be gone in 30 years

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/B...0-years-012713

Bernard brings up some interesting points. I agree with him in a sense. While i don't think the NFL will be gone in 30 years, I do think football will be nothing close to what we watch now.

Re: Pollard: NFL will be gone in 30 years

Try to watch a game from 30 years ago (a game, not highlights.) THAT is nothing close to what we watch now either. The players are smaller, slower. The offenses are incredibly bland and boring. The "hits" that people love going on about are there, but more often they simply hugged the ball carrier to the ground because the speed of the game was slow enough that players could take soft angles and simply drag runners down.

Frankly, outside of the occasional gem, most 70's and 80's football would be derided as total crap by today's standards. It was a slower, less strategic, far more boring game.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Frankly, outside of the occasional gem, most 70's and 80's football would be derided as total crap by today's standards. It was a slower, less strategic, far more boring game.
    Guess you never watched any 49ers vs. Giants games, or Super Bowl 23. Hell, I don't even like Dan Marino or the Dolphins and I saw prolific passing. The Bears 86 defense was a thing of beauty. Not sure what the hell you are talking about, but 80's football was the turning point in the modern NFL, so pack up that noise and sell it somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Hughes died of a heart condition unrelated to football. Not really germane to Pollard's point.
    Last edited by ActualSpamBot; 01-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Guess you never watched any 49ers vs. Giants games, or Super Bowl 23. Hell, I don't even like Dan Marino or the Dolphins and I saw prolific passing. The Bears 86 defense was a thing of beauty. Not sure what the hell you are talking about, but 80's football was the turning point in the modern NFL, so pack up that noise and sell it somewhere else.
    You're talking about mid-80's stuff. I'm talking about the 70's to 1980, before the chuck rule and other offensive procedure rules in 1978 were instituted. Go back and rewatch that era. Also, the existence of good games or even consistently exciting players or teams in no way invalidates my point that a great many games of the pre-offense rule change era would be derided as boring or unwatchable by most people today.

Odd how those rule changes I'm talking about coincide with the "turning point" you are huh?

Blog Entries

You're talking about mid-80's stuff. I'm talking about the 70's to 1980, before the chuck rule and other offensive procedure rules in 1978 were instituted. Go back and rewatch that era. Also, the existence of good games or even consistently exciting players or teams in no way invalidates my point that a great many games of the pre-offense rule change era would be derided as boring or unwatchable by most people today.

Odd how those rule changes I'm talking about coincide with the "turning point" you are huh?
    No, you said 70's and 80's, NOT 70's to 1980. Odd how, you backtrack and double talk your way into saying you weren't wrong about something.

How about this ASB, "My bad, you are right."?

Blog Entries

I think as more info comes out on head injuries, it's going to force the NFL to change. They will get hammered with lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    No, you said 70's and 80's, NOT 70's to 1980. Odd how, you backtrack and double talk your way into saying you weren't wrong about something.

How about this ASB, "My bad, you are right."?
    I thought it was clear that my point was about the pre-offense era, clearly I forgot to include the reference to the 78 rule change. MY BAD. That said, I maintain, that era (even well into the mid 80's) were inferior compared to today's NFL. The game is bigger, faster, and more complex than ever, and we may be nearing a point of unsustainability with regards to continuing in that direction. Pollard's point spoke to that as well. Football will probably have to radically change how players can hit each other, because coaches aren't going to agree to simply not draft the biggest and fastest guys.

Blog Entries

I thought it was clear that my point was about the pre-offense era, clearly I forgot to include the reference to the 78 rule change. MY BAD. That said, I maintain, that era (even well into the mid 80's) were inferior compared to today's NFL. The game is bigger, faster, and more complex than ever, and we may be nearing a point of unsustainability with regards to continuing in that direction. Pollard's point spoke to that as well. Football will probably have to radically change how players can hit each other, because coaches aren't going to agree to simply not draft the biggest and fastest guys.
    Appreciated.

And I fully agree with the game evolving, but everything is like that, from food, cars, to war, everything gets better, faster, and in many cases BIGGER.

I also agree that there is going to come a day, where the big hit is gone. The trying to dislodge the ball by force will be considered illegal. Tackles will be just that, grab and drag down, no "pops".

But I disagree that there wasn't prolific offense in the 80's. Dan Fouts threw for almost 5,000 yards and 30 touchdowns in 1980.

Blog Entries

70's offenses weren't that bad. The innovation that came with the merger created some interesting teams in Oakland and Cincinnati. The Oilers and Dolphins were also fun with their different takes on how to run the ball. The 60's NFL offenses weren't that exciting. Everyone tried to do exactly what the Packers were doing. The game was different and will continue to be different but I don't see it going away in my lifetime.

Alot of things won't survive the next 30 years. Hell our country is one of them.