Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    They won their rings with a good to great defense and a ball control, highly efficient offense.

The dynasty died when they abandoned the D to a bunch of over the hill vets and put all their chips into building an "unstoppable "offense for Tom Brady. The problem was New York exposed how easy it is to rattle Tommy's cage.

Tom Brady is a lot like Matt Ryan, he can win, and put up huge numbers doing so, but pressure makes him nervous and without a defense to keep them in the game, he starts firing the ball out to avoid getting hit and that's when you can start forcing errors.

They need to get their D back up to par and scale Tommy's role back down to a Flacco or Shuab level. Complement your run game and occasionally strike deep.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Re: Time to trade Tom Brady?

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    They won their rings with a good to great defense and a ball control, highly efficient offense.

The dynasty died when they abandoned the D to a bunch of over the hill vets and put all their chips into building an "unstoppable "offense for Tom Brady. The problem was New York exposed how easy it is to rattle Tommy's cage.

Tom Brady is a lot like Matt Ryan, he can win, and put up huge numbers doing so, but pressure makes him nervous and without a defense to keep them in the game, he starts firing the ball out to avoid getting hit and that's when you can start forcing errors.

They need to get their D back up to par and scale Tommy's role back down to a Flacco or Shuab level. Complement your run game and occasionally strike deep.
    I agree. If you look at their Super Bowl winning seasons, they had a defense that just didn't give up a lot of points. It's only in the past few years that they've been a team that has completely dropped it in Brady's lap and tried to win simply by outscoring everyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

Yeah, totally agree with this. The Giants and our selves seem to be the best teams at rattling Brady in the big games. I also think that this is why we should continue to keep the defense elite by continuing to draft elite defensive players, and signing solid FA's, instead of investing all of our draft picks/cap room on building "an unstoppable" offense, nobody has won a SB lately without a talented defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I agree. If you look at their Super Bowl winning seasons, they had a defense that just didn't give up a lot of points. It's only in the past few years that they've been a team that has completely dropped it in Brady's lap and tried to win simply by outscoring everyone.
    Works against Miami and Buffalo in the regular season, not so much in the play offs....

Brady is the most over rated QB in the NFL. He has always played in a weak division and is nothing but a ding and dung passer.
    Sent from my Linux workstation.

The thing about "unstoppable" offenses is that any offense is stoppable. What we need to do is exactly what we've been doing since Harbaugh got here. Work to maintain a balance between offense and defense so that you have your talent distributed evenly enough that you can rely on either one, or both in conjunction, to win games.

Run into a saw mill of a d? We can win a field position field goal battle. Run into a team like Denver who puts up 21 in the first half? So can we. We can run behind Ray and Pierce. We can air it out. We can hold you to field goals instead of TDs or keep up with you in a shoot out.

That wins championships because there aren't many teams who can take away everything we can do.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

I'd also like to throw out that Brady has looked far more mortal now that he doesn't know the defensive play signals anymore. When Bob Kraft asked Belicheck how much of an advantage did the Patriots gain from taping signals, Bill said 1%. In the NFL, a game of inches, sometimes that 1% makes the difference in a completion, a first down, or a touchdown and even ultimately the game.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that not only has their defense been less than stellar, physical, and foolish by letting players like Seymoour go, additionally they play in a weak division; BUT THEY DON'T CHEAT ANYMORE.
    Last edited by Captain Silver; 01-28-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Blog Entries

I do wonder what the Pats really could get for Brady. Manning coming off an injury was worth nothing to the Colts but then cleaned up in free agency. Brady is signed for the next 3 years at a pretty reasonable rate. He only received $20 million guaranteed over 5 years. His base salary is under $10 million a year. If a team could get Brady at that price they'd be willing to trade some picks. Not a draft like the author suggests but more than a 1st round pick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I do wonder what the Pats really could get for Brady. Manning coming off an injury was worth nothing to the Colts but then cleaned up in free agency. Brady is signed for the next 3 years at a pretty reasonable rate. He only received $20 million guaranteed over 5 years. His base salary is under $10 million a year. If a team could get Brady at that price they'd be willing to trade some picks. Not a draft like the author suggests but more than a 1st round pick.
    Kraft would never okay that. Elite QB's are at a premium, a 1st rounder is still an unknown. They just need to put a better team around him, especially on defense, but they need to stop putting the entire game on him, and it looks like they are moving that direction with a greater emphasis on running the ball. Belicheck will evolve the team, he knows why they have been bounced by the Ravens and the Giants and is working on changing the team, but it is going to take another draft and some savvy free agent pickups like Ozzie has pulled off.

Blog Entries

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Pats make a run at Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, or maybe Brian Hartline if the Dolphins don't re-sign him.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Pats make a run at Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, or maybe Brian Hartline if the Dolphins don't re-sign him.
    One of their message boards was going on and on that was the big problem with the offense. No true#1 wide receiver. Too many small or dated WR. Nothing to either stretch the field. They pointed to us having Torrey and Jacoby who have mad speed and then just a beast in Q. The were clamoring for Bowe. I thought it was a mistake for them to dump Moss, I think they should have worked harder to make up with him rather than Patriotway his ass to the curb.

Blog Entries

I wonder if the Pats would make a move for Boldin or Jacoby, could offer us a solid draft pick for either. We wont be able to keep Jacoby and Boldin next season, its one or the other.

The pats are just lacking talent in key positions. They have a decent front 7 now, but their secondary is still woeful even with Talib (who might not even be with the Pats next year), and they have no real weapons out side of Grontkowski, Hernandez is good, but he isn't a game changing TE that commands double teams, I'd rather have Dennis Pitta than Hernandez.