Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Time to trade Tom Brady?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Instead of trading Brady, The Patriots should be trying to figure out how to get him a legit deep threat WR, and getting another pass rusher for their defense.
    That'd be a good start.

I think they have a nice pass rusher in Nikovic and Chandler Jones. Jones was just hurt.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

No way they trade Marsha.

The entire thought process reads like someone who spends too much time playing fantasy. Nobody is going to trade an entire draft anymore (as GOTA stated above). The two examples the writer gives are Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams. In both those cases, the team getting the draft picks was the clear winner, and I think GMs know this. Another laughable was the idea on who could replace Brady. One option? Matt Cassell. Okay, that's really smart.

The Patriots are a team that has been in the AFCC two seasons in a row. It's not like they suck. If they draft a speedy WR, a solid CB, and another pass rusher, then get Rob Gronkowski, Aqib Talib, Chandler Jones back healthy, that's a formidable team. I'm not throwing dirt on their grave yet.

I think the writer intended the emphasis to be on getting a high return for Brady while his value is still high. Then restock the team quickly. It's definitely not an absurd idea.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    That's how I read it too. He thinks the Ravens are going to lose most of the defense between Ray, and FA's leaving.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Well, unfortunately, he may have a point. We're going to lose Lewis and Reed for sure, but the real hurt would be if we lost Kruger and ellerbe. On a good note, Webb will be back and, hopefully, Graham will be here as well. That will give us a pretty good CB tandom. Without Kruger and ellerbe, we'll have to find someone who can put some pressure on the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    I think the writer intended the emphasis to be on getting a high return for Brady while his value is still high. Then restock the team quickly. It's definitely not an absurd idea.
    The problem with this line of thinking is that Al Davis isn't around anymore, so the only owner who would give up everything for a player is Jerry Jones. They could probably wait 5 more years and then trade Brady to the Cowboys for their 1st and 2nd round picks for 3 years. Jerry Jones is that dumb!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    When Brady is done, I bet the 'genius' head coach conveniently retires.
    I have ALWAYS thought this, too.

Blog Entries

I believed what happened to the Patriots is that up to and including 2007 they were this unstoppable offense with a paper-thin defense. They would basically outscore all the opponents. But then they were upset in the SB and everyone blamed the defense. Since then they have been trying to bolster the defense and forgot their bread and butter, the offense. Now they have an improved, but still mediocre defense and a much less powerful offense, and can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    I believed what happened to the Patriots is that up to and including 2007 they were this unstoppable offense with a paper-thin defense. They would basically outscore all the opponents. But then they were upset in the SB and everyone blamed the defense. Since then they have been trying to bolster the defense and forgot their bread and butter, the offense. Now they have an improved, but still mediocre defense and a much less powerful offense, and can't win.
    I think the reason they have "fallen off", so to speak, is not because they have an improved defense at all. They have fallen off because their defense is no longer hard hitting, and they have tried to become a finesse team. Finesse teams get punched in the mouth in the playoffs.

They won their rings with a good to great defense and a ball control, highly efficient offense.

The dynasty died when they abandoned the D to a bunch of over the hill vets and put all their chips into building an "unstoppable "offense for Tom Brady. The problem was New York exposed how easy it is to rattle Tommy's cage.

Tom Brady is a lot like Matt Ryan, he can win, and put up huge numbers doing so, but pressure makes him nervous and without a defense to keep them in the game, he starts firing the ball out to avoid getting hit and that's when you can start forcing errors.

They need to get their D back up to par and scale Tommy's role back down to a Flacco or Shuab level. Complement your run game and occasionally strike deep.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    They won their rings with a good to great defense and a ball control, highly efficient offense.

The dynasty died when they abandoned the D to a bunch of over the hill vets and put all their chips into building an "unstoppable "offense for Tom Brady. The problem was New York exposed how easy it is to rattle Tommy's cage.

Tom Brady is a lot like Matt Ryan, he can win, and put up huge numbers doing so, but pressure makes him nervous and without a defense to keep them in the game, he starts firing the ball out to avoid getting hit and that's when you can start forcing errors.

They need to get their D back up to par and scale Tommy's role back down to a Flacco or Shuab level. Complement your run game and occasionally strike deep.
    I agree. If you look at their Super Bowl winning seasons, they had a defense that just didn't give up a lot of points. It's only in the past few years that they've been a team that has completely dropped it in Brady's lap and tried to win simply by outscoring everyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

Yeah, totally agree with this. The Giants and our selves seem to be the best teams at rattling Brady in the big games. I also think that this is why we should continue to keep the defense elite by continuing to draft elite defensive players, and signing solid FA's, instead of investing all of our draft picks/cap room on building "an unstoppable" offense, nobody has won a SB lately without a talented defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I agree. If you look at their Super Bowl winning seasons, they had a defense that just didn't give up a lot of points. It's only in the past few years that they've been a team that has completely dropped it in Brady's lap and tried to win simply by outscoring everyone.
    Works against Miami and Buffalo in the regular season, not so much in the play offs....

Brady is the most over rated QB in the NFL. He has always played in a weak division and is nothing but a ding and dung passer.
    Sent from my Linux workstation.

The thing about "unstoppable" offenses is that any offense is stoppable. What we need to do is exactly what we've been doing since Harbaugh got here. Work to maintain a balance between offense and defense so that you have your talent distributed evenly enough that you can rely on either one, or both in conjunction, to win games.

Run into a saw mill of a d? We can win a field position field goal battle. Run into a team like Denver who puts up 21 in the first half? So can we. We can run behind Ray and Pierce. We can air it out. We can hold you to field goals instead of TDs or keep up with you in a shoot out.

That wins championships because there aren't many teams who can take away everything we can do.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron