Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football



    I don't understand why this even has to have a political agenda.

    Look at the number of players who have come out and stated that they would rather not let their sons play football.

    There is no political agenda there. There is just parents being concerned with the mental well-being/future of their children. As a parent, I can understand that.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Seriously sir,with all due respect, no smack, why do you even watch football? Why are you a Ravens fan? Did you not play at all as a child? How do you think he'll feel when all his friends are playing but he can't because he might get hurt? I know a father
    who did that to his son and the boy was always bitter about it. I can see the fans across the pond never playing but most of us here have as a child, many of us in organized ball. People get concussions and even blinded in baseball getting drilled in the head with a Jim Palmer fast ball 95 mph.

    I'm not making light of the injuries but we have the leader of the country bad mouthing the game and trying to influence
    people like you vs it. Injuries are part of the game. Like Solo said, they were a badge of courage as a kid. I got four stitches
    from getting kicked in the head, went to the hospital and had to wear a wrapping around my head. I went to City,
    an all boys school and that was my badge of courage and I was hot shit for a week too. Everyone had something to
    say. I was proud when I was carried into the hospital.

    The link I posted above showed how people were
    killed. I remember Ben Davidson kicking Johnny Unitas in the stomach in a game but off the field he was supposed to be
    a great guy and father.

    If it's too rough, than don't let your future son watch and dont watch it yourself.
    Just because my football coach in high school said that getting your bells rung was a badge of honor didn't mean that they were. This same coach could barely walk because of multiple knee surgeries from playing football (he played for the Detroit Lions in the 70's). I had 2 big concussions in high school and 1 my freshman year of college (actually given to me by John Kuhn...go figure) and I can adamantly tell you that there was nothing about them that were badges of honor.

    I had 20/20 vision until my freshman year of college...after that last concussion, I needed a prescription for glasses. I forgot my home phone number. I would forget homework assignments. I mixed up class times (to the point where I would walk into a class thinking I was the first in, sit down, and realize that I had missed the class when no one showed up), and I was just really depressed. The neurologist told me that he was recommending to my college coaching staff that they not let me play anymore. They didn't. I was pissed for a while, but now I'm glad they didn't let me suit up again.

    8 years later: I have 20/20 vision again and have no other symptoms (memory loss, etc).

    According to the neurologist I saw, it takes approximately 3 years for a concussion to fully heal (depending on the severity). So, guys who are suffering a concussion every season (Jahvid Best comes to mind) are REALLY pushing the envelope on their post-NFL life.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southern York County
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't understand why this even has to have a political agenda.

    Look at the number of players who have come out and stated that they would rather not let their sons play football.

    There is no political agenda there. There is just parents being concerned with the mental well-being/future of their children. As a parent, I can understand that.
    When is something with AirFlacco not a political agenda?

    I'm only a college student, but I'm not sure if I'd let my kid play football either. I played HS football a few years ago and while everyone thinks these drastic measures are in place to treat concussions, it's not as exhaustive as you'd like to think.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    I played high school ball 10 years ago. Fullback and nose tackle. (Not bad for a kid well south of 5'6 and at the time less than 150 pounds with a brick in each hand). There are entire GAMES I only know happened because I have tapes of them. I probably suffered between 4 and 7 concussions. I don't know the exact number because nobody ever took me to a doctor for them. I got knocked out cold twice and both times went back into the game.

    I would never let my kid play the way I did. And I wish I had been smart enough to tell my parents about it because I doubt they would have let me keep playing either.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    When is something with AirFlacco not a political agenda?

    I'm only a college student, but I'm not sure if I'd let my kid play football either. I played HS football a few years ago and while everyone thinks these drastic measures are in place to treat concussions, it's not as exhaustive as you'd like to think.
    A lot of high school coaches are required to do medical correspondence classes now regarding concussions, symptoms, and treatments. For example, last August, California governor signed AB1451, which will require all high school coaches to go through concussion training. In July of last year, the Maryland Board of Ed passed requirements for all school coaches (not just football) to be trained on head-trauma and related injuries.
    http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...chool-students

    Trust me, it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than what it was when I was in high school a little more than a decade ago. I mean, defensive coordinator actually told me once that the best way to not get a headache from contact is to just hit the other guy harder before he can hit you. I hit a kid so hard during one high school game that I broke his jaw. That kid never played again. I can remember in the MD state playoffs making a tackle...blacking out for a second or two...coming to and being dizzy and seeing stars...literally seeing stars. It is strange to think about, because it wasn't that long ago, but the past 4-5 years have really forced the issue to the front of the lines, so to speak, and high school coaches are the one's who are going to be expected to lead the charge because a lot of kids who have major concussion issues in college and in the pro's, probably suffered legitimate concussions while in high school when their brains were still developing.

    My wife's uncle is in the New Jersey coaches hall of fame as a football coach and he has been championing head-trauma training for coaches in New Jersey for a long time now.

    Also, many colleges (and high schools) are requiring that their football team's use specific helmets that are better designed and have been proven to reduce (not eliminate) head trauma. REVO Speed helmets, for example. Virginia Tech did a study on these helmets a couple of years ago and they beat out the other helmet companies by a fair amount.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 01-28-2013 at 10:28 AM.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just because my football coach in high school said that getting your bells rung was a badge of honor didn't mean that they were. This same coach could barely walk because of multiple knee surgeries from playing football (he played for the Detroit Lions in the 70's). I had 2 big concussions in high school and 1 my freshman year of college (actually given to me by John Kuhn...go figure) and I can adamantly tell you that there was nothing about them that were badges of honor.

    I had 20/20 vision until my freshman year of college...after that last concussion, I needed a prescription for glasses. I forgot my home phone number. I would forget homework assignments. I mixed up class times (to the point where I would walk into a class thinking I was the first in, sit down, and realize that I had missed the class when no one showed up), and I was just really depressed. The neurologist told me that he was recommending to my college coaching staff that they not let me play anymore. They didn't. I was pissed for a while, but now I'm glad they didn't let me suit up again.

    8 years later: I have 20/20 vision again and have no other symptoms (memory loss, etc).

    According to the neurologist I saw, it takes approximately 3 years for a concussion to fully heal (depending on the severity). So, guys who are suffering a concussion every season (Jahvid Best comes to mind) are REALLY pushing the envelope on their post-NFL life.
    IT really is kind of funny when you look at how different sports handle concussions. I remember a baseball player for the twins (Mauer, I think) had a concussion and was basically out a whole year. Crosby for the Penguins was out about that amount of time if I remember correctly.

    I know there are different level of concussions or sometimes when someone gets there bell rung is it a concussion? For example, when I see a guy catch a pass head hits the ground and he gets up wobbly for a second, is that a concussion? Or is it like watching UFC where a guy takes a stiff jab and his knees buckle for a second? On the other hand Steven Ridley got KTFO and I bet if the Pats won he'd be playing in the Super Bowl, if this were the UFC he couldn't even have contact with the league for 90 days.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just because my football coach in high school said that getting your bells rung was a badge of honor didn't mean that they were.
    It was for us in the 60s and I'm sure kids feel that way today. Look at little league games today with fathers as coaches
    pushing their sons to the limit to excel. And the coach's son is always the QB in football or the pitcher in baseball
    or the center in basketball. They're not saying they're not letting their sons play football.

    John Mackey died because of his football injuries. I doubt he wouldn't change a thing about his career. Unitas
    couldn't comb his hair in retirement because of his crooked fingers. I saw them myself when he shook my hand they
    were so brittle looking and I know his son played football at Loch Raven hi school.

    I put the thread in the political forum because the president said it. It was about football but a mod would have moved
    it here like the other thread.

    Again, I never had any serious injuries and I played a ton of football in the trenches on both lines and ran the ball
    a little and neither did my brother or his son who plays football now and wrestles for his team. An article was just
    written about him in the county news paper.

    He's also better and faster than both of us were.

    As for those players that said the same thing, they were severely criticized for it too by their colleagues like
    Toomer who is a retired receiver. Warner was forced to clarify his remarks. He took much from the game and then
    zaps it. Hell, he was discovered playing in Arena ball as a vet and working in Wall Marts or some such place and
    then he zaps the game after taking millions from it after going to a couple of SBs.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-28-2013 at 10:50 AM.




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,497
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Seems everything in AirFlaccos life is Liberal VS Conservative. If he doesnt like or agree with it, he refers to it as Liberal.
    Pretty much. Add in name calling to pols he doesn't agree with and you're 100% correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Football is for entertainment. Just because you enjoy that entertainment doesnt mean you want your child doing it. Its comparative to going to the strip club but "keeping your daughter off the pole".
    Great point.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    It was for us in the 60s and I'm sure kids feel that way today. Look at little league games today with fathers as coaches
    pushing their sons to the limit to excel. And the coach's son is always the QB in football or the pitcher in baseball
    or the center in basketball. They're not saying they're not letting their sons play football.

    John Mackey died because of his football injuries. I doubt he wouldn't change a thing about his career. Unitas
    couldn't comb his hair in retirement because of his crooked fingers. I saw them myself when he shook my hand they
    were so brittle looking and I know his son played football at Loch Raven hi school.

    I put the thread in the political forum because the president said it. It was about football but a mod would have moved
    it here like the other thread.

    Again, I never had any serious injuries and I played a ton of football in the trenches on both lines and ran the ball
    a little and neither did my brother or his son who plays football now and wrestles for his team. An article was just
    written about him in the county news paper.

    He's also better and faster than both of us were.

    As for those players that said the same thing, they were severely criticized for it too by their colleagues like
    Toomer who is a retired receiver. Warner was forced to clarify his remarks. He took much from the game and then
    zaps it. Hell, he was discovered playing in Arena ball as a vet and working in Wall Marts or some such place and
    then he zaps the game after taking millions from it after going to a couple of SBs.
    I don't disagree with you that there is a sense of hypocrisy in former players saying that they wouldn't let their kids play, however, having dealt with concussions I can understand why they are saying that they'd rather not see their kids jeopardize their futures like that. Sure, the money is great and if wisely handled can set you and your family up for the rest of your life...and some, but that doesn't negate a parent's worry for their child's quality of life.

    And John Mackey is a great point of how countless incidents of head trauma can severely hinder one's quality of life. However, like I pointed out in posts above, back then a concussion wasn't even in the repertoire. Rub some dirt on it and get back out there.

    Back in colonial times, people who had mental illnesses were thought to be possessed by the Devil, witches, and any number of things to try and explain why they are the way they are. They used to burn witches at the stake. We now know that witches aren't real. Should we still burn free-spirited women at the stake? While this is a major analogical step, the point is that we now KNOW a lot more about head-trauma as it relates to football. We know about symptoms. We know about proper equipment measures. And we know what possibilities are of long-term effects from sports-related head-trauma. Does that mean we should still turn a blind eye to it and hi-five our sons for knocking the shit out of someone on the field? Of course there are going to be parents who do that. I can't honestly say that I WONT do that if my son chooses to play football, but I still am going to be approaching this from an entirely different angle than I would have 10 years ago. And if parents (players or Presidents) want to urge their sons to pursue different sports, then so be it.

    There isn't anything "wussie" about not wanting your kid to suffer head-trauma.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    OK, we agree on the athlete's and I say same with parents who played the game but won't let their sons play.

    This is a political forum and it is conservatives vs liberals. I'm all excited bout the Super Bowl and my team playing
    in it for the first time in 12 years and pick up the news and see a liberal president dissing the game.

    I get real pissy having to pay all these taxes the liberals keep adding on us and I've been just as critical of GOP
    liberals like Bush and Rove as OBY and Reid.




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Back in colonial times, people who had mental illnesses were thought to be possessed by the Devil, witches, and any number of things to try and explain why they are the way they are. They used to burn witches at the stake. We now know that witches aren't real. Should we still burn free-spirited women at the stake? While this is a major analogical step, the point is that we now KNOW a lot more about head-trauma as it relates to football. We know about symptoms. We know about proper equipment measures. And we know what possibilities are of long-term effects from sports-related head-trauma. Does that mean we should still turn a blind eye to it and hi-five our sons for knocking the shit out of someone on the field? Of course there are going to be parents who do that. I can't honestly say that I WONT do that if my son chooses to play football, but I still am going to be approaching this from an entirely different angle than I would have 10 years ago. And if parents (players or Presidents) want to urge their sons to pursue different sports, then so be it.
    That's not true. Haven't you seen the Da Vinci code?



    And yes that was pointless but I am just trying to keep busy till Sunday.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    IT really is kind of funny when you look at how different sports handle concussions. I remember a baseball player for the twins (Mauer, I think) had a concussion and was basically out a whole year. Crosby for the Penguins was out about that amount of time if I remember correctly.

    I know there are different level of concussions or sometimes when someone gets there bell rung is it a concussion? For example, when I see a guy catch a pass head hits the ground and he gets up wobbly for a second, is that a concussion? Or is it like watching UFC where a guy takes a stiff jab and his knees buckle for a second? On the other hand Steven Ridley got KTFO and I bet if the Pats won he'd be playing in the Super Bowl, if this were the UFC he couldn't even have contact with the league for 90 days.
    Totally true NC. There is a major double-standard for head-related injuries in various sports.

    I've never understood how a guy could show concussion symptoms after a game and then a week or two later be back in the lineup. They're not fully healed at all. They're just not showing symptoms anymore.

    That's the problem and honestly, without multiple MRI's and CT scans, there is no real way to gauge whether or not someone has healed properly from a concussion.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    OK, we agree on the athlete's and I say same with parents who played the game but won't let their sons play.

    This is a political forum and it is conservatives vs liberals. I'm all excited bout the Super Bowl and my team playing
    in it for the first time in 12 years and pick up the news and see a liberal president dissing the game.

    I get real pissy having to pay all these taxes the liberals keep adding on us and I've been just as critical of GOP
    liberals like Bush and Rove as OBY and Reid.
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Yes, there is a small bit of hypocrisy, but think about it...as a parent our sole job is to educate, protect, and prepare our kids for adulthood. Allowing your kid to do something that you know could be potentially harmful to them without educating them is worse than being a bit of a hypocrite. You can call me a hypocrite all you want man. However, if I tell my son about how football changed my life and he chooses to play another sport because he doesn't want to deal with that, then good for him.

    I don't see this as an "us vs them" debate or a "conservative vs liberal" debate at all.

    At the end of the day, if people want to play football, then they have to acknowledge and understand the consequences. That is why I completely disagree with these lawsuits and what they're aiming to get. You don't need a waiver form or a doctor to tell you that getting hit in the head by a 300lb man running full speed is going to potentially do bodily harm to you. That's why I think a lot of these players are just looking for $$$. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

    Concussions are a hot topic right now and state/local governments have been working to improve the level of training for high school coaches. So, it shouldnt come as a surprise to anyone that the President is going to be asked about concussions.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Yes, there is a small bit of hypocrisy, but think about it...as a parent our sole job is to educate, protect, and prepare our kids for adulthood. Allowing your kid to do something that you know could be potentially harmful to them without educating them is worse than being a bit of a hypocrite. You can call me a hypocrite all you want man. However, if I tell my son about how football changed my life and he chooses to play another sport because he doesn't want to deal with that, then good for him.

    I don't see this as an "us vs them" debate or a "conservative vs liberal" debate at all.

    I obviously do. Again its the taxes. I'm bracing for $100 to be taken out of my fixed income after
    the last increase and libs are pissed it isn't more. This isn't the same country my dad fought for in
    WW 2 and with the debt and all it's going the same way as Greece. LIbbies just keep spending more
    and crucify Ryan for trying to curb it. The entire country crucified him.



    At the end of the day, if people want to play football, then they have to acknowledge and understand the consequences. That is why I completely disagree with these lawsuits and what they're aiming to get. You don't need a waiver form or a doctor to tell you that getting hit in the head by a 300lb man running full speed is going to potentially do bodily harm to you. That's why I think a lot of these players are just looking for $$$. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

    Concussions are a hot topic right now and state/local governments have been working to improve the level of training for high school coaches. So, it shouldnt come as a surprise to anyone that the President is going to be asked about concussions.
    Yes indeed but there are still about 10,000 kids playing little league football and just about every hi school in the
    country has a football team. BTW, that City team I went out for in the 60s had the 5th best team in the country.
    Most of that team played college football. Tom Gatewood our WR became an All American at Notre Dame and played
    about 8 or 9 years for the Giants in the 70s. The guy who beat me out at RB scored 2 TDs vs Oklahoma 4 years
    later and was drafted by the Squeelers. He was beaten out by someone name Franco Harris.

    One became the mayor of Baltimore
    after playing safety at Yale. He was our QB and had the fastest pair of hands you ever saw faking the ball. He
    out-faked the entire defense. George YOung said he'd never play pro ball though because he wasn't fast enough but
    I bet he'd say he wouldn't let his son play today either because he was a liberal mayor-lol.


    Great posts from you.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-28-2013 at 12:37 PM.




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

    What do taxes have to do with concussions in football? I literally don't even understand the thought process here.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland