Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

OK, we agree on the athlete's and I say same with parents who played the game but won't let their sons play.

This is a political forum and it is conservatives vs liberals. I'm all excited bout the Super Bowl and my team playing
    in it for the first time in 12 years and pick up the news and see a liberal president dissing the game.

I get real pissy having to pay all these taxes the liberals keep adding on us and I've been just as critical of GOP
    liberals like Bush and Rove as OBY and Reid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Back in colonial times, people who had mental illnesses were thought to be possessed by the Devil, witches, and any number of things to try and explain why they are the way they are. They used to burn witches at the stake. We now know that witches aren't real. Should we still burn free-spirited women at the stake? While this is a major analogical step, the point is that we now KNOW a lot more about head-trauma as it relates to football. We know about symptoms. We know about proper equipment measures. And we know what possibilities are of long-term effects from sports-related head-trauma. Does that mean we should still turn a blind eye to it and hi-five our sons for knocking the shit out of someone on the field? Of course there are going to be parents who do that. I can't honestly say that I WONT do that if my son chooses to play football, but I still am going to be approaching this from an entirely different angle than I would have 10 years ago. And if parents (players or Presidents) want to urge their sons to pursue different sports, then so be it.
    That's not true. Haven't you seen the Da Vinci code?

And yes that was pointless but I am just trying to keep busy till Sunday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    IT really is kind of funny when you look at how different sports handle concussions. I remember a baseball player for the twins (Mauer, I think) had a concussion and was basically out a whole year. Crosby for the Penguins was out about that amount of time if I remember correctly.

I know there are different level of concussions or sometimes when someone gets there bell rung is it a concussion? For example, when I see a guy catch a pass head hits the ground and he gets up wobbly for a second, is that a concussion? Or is it like watching UFC where a guy takes a stiff jab and his knees buckle for a second? On the other hand Steven Ridley got KTFO and I bet if the Pats won he'd be playing in the Super Bowl, if this were the UFC he couldn't even have contact with the league for 90 days.
    Totally true NC. There is a major double-standard for head-related injuries in various sports.

I've never understood how a guy could show concussion symptoms after a game and then a week or two later be back in the lineup. They're not fully healed at all. They're just not showing symptoms anymore.

That's the problem and honestly, without multiple MRI's and CT scans, there is no real way to gauge whether or not someone has healed properly from a concussion.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    OK, we agree on the athlete's and I say same with parents who played the game but won't let their sons play.

This is a political forum and it is conservatives vs liberals. I'm all excited bout the Super Bowl and my team playing
    in it for the first time in 12 years and pick up the news and see a liberal president dissing the game.

I get real pissy having to pay all these taxes the liberals keep adding on us and I've been just as critical of GOP
    liberals like Bush and Rove as OBY and Reid.
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Yes, there is a small bit of hypocrisy, but think about it...as a parent our sole job is to educate, protect, and prepare our kids for adulthood. Allowing your kid to do something that you know could be potentially harmful to them without educating them is worse than being a bit of a hypocrite. You can call me a hypocrite all you want man. However, if I tell my son about how football changed my life and he chooses to play another sport because he doesn't want to deal with that, then good for him.

I don't see this as an "us vs them" debate or a "conservative vs liberal" debate at all.

At the end of the day, if people want to play football, then they have to acknowledge and understand the consequences. That is why I completely disagree with these lawsuits and what they're aiming to get. You don't need a waiver form or a doctor to tell you that getting hit in the head by a 300lb man running full speed is going to potentially do bodily harm to you. That's why I think a lot of these players are just looking for $$$. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

Concussions are a hot topic right now and state/local governments have been working to improve the level of training for high school coaches. So, it shouldnt come as a surprise to anyone that the President is going to be asked about concussions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Yes, there is a small bit of hypocrisy, but think about it...as a parent our sole job is to educate, protect, and prepare our kids for adulthood. Allowing your kid to do something that you know could be potentially harmful to them without educating them is worse than being a bit of a hypocrite. You can call me a hypocrite all you want man. However, if I tell my son about how football changed my life and he chooses to play another sport because he doesn't want to deal with that, then good for him.

I don't see this as an "us vs them" debate or a "conservative vs liberal" debate at all.

I obviously do. Again its the taxes. I'm bracing for $100 to be taken out of my fixed income after
    the last increase and libs are pissed it isn't more. This isn't the same country my dad fought for in
    WW 2 and with the debt and all it's going the same way as Greece. LIbbies just keep spending more
    and crucify Ryan for trying to curb it. The entire country crucified him.

At the end of the day, if people want to play football, then they have to acknowledge and understand the consequences. That is why I completely disagree with these lawsuits and what they're aiming to get. You don't need a waiver form or a doctor to tell you that getting hit in the head by a 300lb man running full speed is going to potentially do bodily harm to you. That's why I think a lot of these players are just looking for $$$. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

Concussions are a hot topic right now and state/local governments have been working to improve the level of training for high school coaches. So, it shouldnt come as a surprise to anyone that the President is going to be asked about concussions.
    Yes indeed but there are still about 10,000 kids playing little league football and just about every hi school in the
    country has a football team. BTW, that City team I went out for in the 60s had the 5th best team in the country.
    Most of that team played college football. Tom Gatewood our WR became an All American at Notre Dame and played
    about 8 or 9 years for the Giants in the 70s. The guy who beat me out at RB scored 2 TDs vs Oklahoma 4 years
    later and was drafted by the Squeelers. He was beaten out by someone name Franco Harris.

One became the mayor of Baltimore
    after playing safety at Yale. He was our QB and had the fastest pair of hands you ever saw faking the ball. He
    out-faked the entire defense. George YOung said he'd never play pro ball though because he wasn't fast enough but
    I bet he'd say he wouldn't let his son play today either because he was a liberal mayor-lol.

Great posts from you.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-28-2013 at 12:37 PM.

What do taxes have to do with concussions in football? I literally don't even understand the thought process here.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    What do taxes have to do with concussions in football? I literally don't even understand the thought process here.
    :word

Blog Entries

You're right Spam, taxes don't have anything to do with football but I was just answering someone about the name calling
    and explaining why the names in the this forum because someone called me out on it. I had another thread cussing out the libbies for raising taxes on the fiscal cliff deal.

I'm just a little old pissed off poster on a message but but look at Pelosi calling people names. She said the old people
    were Nazis for opposing OBama Care. Now that's one of our highest leaders and the head of the House calling old people
    names but that's Ok with the libbies. The moderator here will get complaints for my saying O Bummer Care and OBY.

I was on a Christian board and they said I was going to hell for saying OBY-lol. I said that was just my cute little name
    for the Prez. Hell, I called Nixon Tricky Dick which he was. Just ask Muskie. He broke into the Watergate 14 times before
    he got caught and the Ellsberg case was dismissed for all the times he broke into his office. The judge had enough. I was pissed off at him for betraying us. He thought he was above the law.

Click on link and then the story calling for Pelosi's dismissal. And long before you Spam and JAB came into the forum
    a lib was calling me all kinds of names before I ever said anything. Galen is no longer here. He called me names just
    for using the edit button so many times.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-28-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Please Trap.

You've been whacked more times than a Sopranos snitch. Lets not pretend you're some victim here and never called people names yourself.

And enough with the libbies nonsense and other name calling. I am trying to elevate the level of debate in this area of the forum. If you can't control the mocking posts or name calling, find another place to debate politics.

Blog Entries

OK, no mas, but like I said a million times, I never fired first in here. It was self defense and other insults to me stood while I was
    whacked.

Anyway, you better tell Tony about the mocking and elevation part. I found this piece on Pelosi while logging on to the football forum and I just mentioned her in here because I thought she was politics. I'm sure no one will complain about
    Tony's staff.

Couldn't have mocked her better myself.

http://russellstreetreport.com/nancy...ers-for-49ers/
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-29-2013 at 02:14 AM.

I know that Obama questioned if he would let his hypothetical son play football... but what is an OBY? sans "one kanoby?"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmormon View Post
    I know that Obama questioned if he would let his hypothetical son play football... but what is an OBY? sans "one kanoby?"
    Trap's pet name for President Obama.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner