Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    2

    How much is Pitta worth per year?



    Having dinner with some co-workers this evening in Jacksonville. One of the guys is first cousins with Pitta's dad. I guess that makes them second counsins.

    Anyway, my understanding is that Pitta would be worth 2nd round "tender" money this time around.. meaning $1.5 - $2.0 mill per year. The guy I was with at dinner who knows a lot more than I do says that Pitta will ask for $4 mill + per year. This is coming straight from a family member so I find it believable.

    We are in some serious cap trouble if a guy like Pitta is looking for $4 mil per year.




  2. #2

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    He may get something close to that. I don't see him leaving. He likes it too much here. A chemistry with Joe on and off the field.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    R-2003--
    I have no idea how things will work out, but I'd guess Ozzie and company already have some type of spreadsheet set up that shows who makes what (and dependent upon who they expect to have back nest season), so if that is true, I'd further guess the Ravens have a number in mind at this point. I'd think Pitta and his agent will do what virtually every SB winning guy does when "re-upping", that is, go high and wait for the counter-offer. Also, did the guy have any idea what Pitta was looking for in terms of # of years, guaranteed $$$, etc.? Obviously that will impact what the Ravens are willing to part with in order to keep him.

    IMHO, a lot of guys have a somewhat inflated sense of what their market value is. Didn't Lewis find out a few seasons ago that previous performance is not an indicator of future largesse? However, it sounds to be a very interesting off-season for the Ravens FO.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,167
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    I absolutely love the TD pass to Pitta - Joe just stuck it in there, Pitta catches and walks away like a boss. Everytime I see that replay I say to myself man that is f**cking awesome.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    After next year, he may earn it. Dickson had some nice plays in the postseason, but clearly Pitta is the guy, because of his relationship with Joe and his skills at TE.

    He's a top 10 TE in my book. Not sure the going rate at that level...I wouldn't pay him Gronk, Hernandez, Graham type money...but certainly would pay him as well as Pettigrew or Gresham.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arbutus
    Posts
    1,875

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    Pay Pitta, let Dickson walk and draft someone with our 10-11 draft picks we got coming. Easy decision IMHO.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    I'd say around 5 million a year if he has another solid year under the first round tender he's about to receive. The Ravens could always get a discount now by giving him a cheaper deal for what he is atm.




  8. #8

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    4m a year is the market rate for a just-below Pro Bowl level tight end, if not even a bit of a bargain. Owen Daniels signed a 4 year, 22m deal just prior to the 2011 season, and he was slightly older than Pitta but more proven.

    If I were Ozzie, I would offer Pitta a 5 year 20m deal right now. Set his 2013 salary at the veteran minimum and structure the bonus(es) the right way and you might actually even end up with a small bit of cap relief over the 2013 RFA tender, but at worst you're not HURTING your cap. Pitta has proven more than enough to commit to him long-term; if he'll sign now there's no reason at all not to do the deal.

    Dickson should be traded if we can find a trade partner. He offers no value in the short-term or long-term to this team, but he could be a good "move" TE for a team that needs one. I think the chances of trading him are not bad at all.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,051
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    4m a year is the market rate for a just-below Pro Bowl level tight end, if not even a bit of a bargain. Owen Daniels signed a 4 year, 22m deal just prior to the 2011 season, and he was slightly older than Pitta but more proven.

    If I were Ozzie, I would offer Pitta a 5 year 20m deal right now. Set his 2013 salary at the veteran minimum and structure the bonus(es) the right way and you might actually even end up with a small bit of cap relief over the 2013 RFA tender, but at worst you're not HURTING your cap. Pitta has proven more than enough to commit to him long-term; if he'll sign now there's no reason at all not to do the deal.

    Dickson should be traded if we can find a trade partner. He offers no value in the short-term or long-term to this team, but he could be a good "move" TE for a team that needs one. I think the chances of trading him are not bad at all.
    Ozzie isn't extending Pitta early. We all know that.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  10. #10

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ozzie isn't extending Pitta early. We all know that.
    And why would you? Offer him the the $2M/2nd round tender. If someone offers him $4M and a 2nd round pick...and he accepts...you take it and don't look back.

    Newsome will find a TE replacement (that has NEVER been a problem)...and with Flacco's track-record with Heap and Pitta...I bet you would find 2 or 3 veteran TEs that have been languishing under a bad QB that would sign in a heartbeat.




  11. #11

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    And why would you? Offer him the the $2M/2nd round tender. If someone offers him $4M and a 2nd round pick...and he accepts...you take it and don't look back.

    Newsome will find a TE replacement (that has NEVER been a problem)...and with Flacco's track-record with Heap and Pitta...I bet you would find 2 or 3 veteran TEs that have been languishing under a bad QB that would sign in a heartbeat.
    Where's the upside in that transaction? Go out and sign a veteran TE for 2 or 3m a year, saving 1m, and hope and pray they can have the kind of chemistry and rapport Dennis and Joe shared? That sounds like a minimal return on investment to me especially in a year where we already have 0 TEs under contract.

    Pitta is an offensive cornerstone. There's no reason to think he can't lock down the position for another 5 years. While I agree that TEs are generally fairly replaceable, that's why they come cheap. 4m a year is not a rich deal at all, and Pitta was one of the best receiving TEs in the whole league last year. I expect him to go nowhere but up. That's even MORE reason why it's better to sign him now to a cheaper deal rather than wait a year.

    Ozzie has gambled over and over again on betting against players in the hopes of their value going down only to have it blow up in his face. I think he's learned his lesson in part; he locked up Webb before he even entered free agency last year. I see no reason not to do that with Pitta this year.




  12. #12

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Where's the upside in that transaction? Go out and sign a veteran TE for 2 or 3m a year, saving 1m, and hope and pray they can have the kind of chemistry and rapport Dennis and Joe shared? That sounds like a minimal return on investment to me especially in a year where we already have 0 TEs under contract.

    Pitta is an offensive cornerstone. There's no reason to think he can't lock down the position for another 5 years. While I agree that TEs are generally fairly replaceable, that's why they come cheap. 4m a year is not a rich deal at all, and Pitta was one of the best receiving TEs in the whole league last year. I expect him to go nowhere but up. That's even MORE reason why it's better to sign him now to a cheaper deal rather than wait a year.

    Ozzie has gambled over and over again on betting against players in the hopes of their value going down only to have it blow up in his face. I think he's learned his lesson in part; he locked up Webb before he even entered free agency last year. I see no reason not to do that with Pitta this year.
    It is for the Ravens.

    I would love to keep Pitta...and Boldin...and Jacoby Jones...but I don't see there is anyway they can afford Pitta @ $4M with Flacco's new deal in place.

    I would hate to lose him, but if someone offers up a second-round pick, I think you take it.




  13. #13

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    I think Pitta is already wildly overrated by Ravens fans. Let's not add overpaid. I like the guy, and am thankful we had him this season, but he is an average tight end and no more.

    94 passes at him. 669 yards. 7TDs. 65% catch rate.

    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te




  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    I think the majority of people on this message board undersell monetary contract values on players IMO. The path with Pitta is simple. For a player entering his 4th NFL season, he's incredibly old (turns 28 in June) thanks to his mission trips. By comparison, Ray Rice was 24 entering his 4th season. I don't see much of an upside in re-signing Pitta this offseason from a cap lowering standpoint. His scheduled salary as part of the 2nd round tender is $2.05. That's a very good number for a player of his skill and production. If we were to give him an extension right now, I think his first year cap # would be in the $1.5-$2 million range anyways, so the cap advantage is minimal. However, there might be an advantage to doing so from a cap preservation standpoint from 2014 and beyond.

    What you have to understand is that Pitta will hit his first UFA market at age 29, so he probably doesn't have the leverage as other TEs in a similar situation who are 26-27. However, cmon guys, $4 million a year is still a good value for a player of Pitta's ability. A lot of you are acting like that's a huge overpay.

    Zach Miller signed a 5 year/$34 million contract in the 2011 offseason. Miller is a more complete TE than Pitta (better blocker) and was 26 at the time of his extension and was coming off back-to-back-to-back 55+ catch seasons with Oakland. Regardless, he still got just shy of $7 million a year.

    John Carlson just signed a 5 year/$25 million contract before last season. He was 28 at the time of his extension and he was coming off seasons of 31 catches and 0 catches and he still got $5 million a year. Again, he is a better blocker than Pitta, but nowhere near the receiver. This was a huge overpay, but it shows you how stupid/desperate certain franchises are to poach talent.

    The cap is going up for everyone in 2014 and the NFL is mandating a cap floor for every team, so a lot of teams will have a ton of money to make ridiculous cap offers to players. I expect a ton of idiotic signings. I think it's better to get Pitta under a new contract sometime between now and the middle of next season. I always have liked the idea of signing a player midway through a season as opposed the previous offseason, because it buys you a little more time to protect yourself from that player getting injured and having his value destroyed.

    I think Pitta, at age 29, is worth about $18 million over 4 seasons. With his first year being at a reduced cost cap-wise and the 2014 cap going up so drastically, I think we could make it so that his 2014 cap # wouldn't be more than $500-$800k more than what he cost in 2013.

    Pitta is a nice player to have on your roster, because he's not going to break the bank to sign in free agency. Additionally, I'm not a big believer in the idea of players wanting to take hometown discounts, but Pitta is probably one of the most likely Ravens in our history to do so, given his rapport with Joe. I think he's a $4.5-$5 million type player on the open market, so if we can get him for anything less than $4.5mil per year, it's a good value for us and a reasonable win for Pitta too.




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How much is Pitta worth per year?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    It is for the Ravens.

    I would love to keep Pitta...and Boldin...and Jacoby Jones...but I don't see there is anyway they can afford Pitta @ $4M with Flacco's new deal in place.

    I would hate to lose him, but if someone offers up a second-round pick, I think you take it.
    If he was due $4 million this year, it would be tough. He's due $2.05 for 2013, which is a crazy good value. If his salary goes up in 2014, that's totally fine, as the salary cap will jump significantly.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland