Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Ok, thanks. I stand corrected but that was a very big and good line that came from Cleveland. It had Blackshear-sp too.
    Yep - and Zeus (O. Brown) in the prime of his career playing RT. That was an amazing unit - easily the best we've ever had.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I don't feel sorry for the millionaire. He got what he wanted. Money is more important.

The same thing happened to Wally, the LT before JO. He was franchised and pissed. Finally he left and ended up
    in NO when they were still really bad and the Ravens win the SB right after that. I laugh at him everytime I hear
    him on the radio but he got what he wanted.

The guys I feel sad for are Heap and Mason who contributed to so many wins here but were cut and just missed it.
    Bisciott can still give them a ring if he wants to and probably will but it won't be the same w/o being here.
    You make a really good point. These guys wanted the money. No one forced them to leave

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Williams was actually our RG, who moved inside to starting C when Steve Everitt left after the 96 season. He was pissed because he claimed he was promised a long-term deal by the team, then had to play under the franchise tag. I'm always shocked too when I see him broadcasting for the team, cause he was NOT happy when here
    Me too, it's sort of funny because he basically had a hissy fit in the press and had all kinds of bad things to say about Modell and the organization

Jarrett Johnson deserves a spot in the Ravens Ring of Honor.

But, after being a top edge settter for many years, he didn't have a good year with SD in 2012. Some of that may have been change of system and some of it age.

The NFL is a tough business. The face of your franchise must occasionally be shown the door in order to stay competitive with the cap. It's what makes the NFL the fantastic success it is that continued vigilence is required to evaluate your own talent relative to cost.

It's sad he never got to play in a SB with the Ravens, but it would be even sadder if the Ravens were not in the SB because they decided to give a mess of money to JJ.

Blog Entries

Stop hating on JJ, he didn't even have a home town discount offered to him, Steve said he didn't want to give him a contract offer as it would insult him given our cap situation at the time, plus I think the FO wanted to give Kruger a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Stop hating on JJ, he didn't even have a home town discount offered to him, Steve said he didn't want to give him a contract offer as it would insult him given our cap situation at the time, plus I think the FO wanted to give Kruger a shot.
    Okay, I was mistaken then...I thought I heard they threw a low ball offer out there. I love JJ and miss him as a Raven but this is a business and I think he understood that. It's still hard seeing him in a Chargers uniform.

Is there even a precedent for giving rings to former players? This is ridiculous to be handing out rings to all of the fan favorites who had nothing to do with this Superbowl run. I don't even think the players would want a ring that they didn't earn.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Is there even a precedent for giving rings to former players? This is ridiculous to be handing out rings to all of the fan favorites who had nothing to do with this Superbowl run. I don't even think the players would want a ring that they didn't earn.
    Irsay gave Edgerrin James a ring when the Colts won it even though he played for the Cardinals that year.

I wouldn't do it though. If you not part of the team that wins it, why would you even want the ring?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Irsay gave Edgerrin James a ring when the Colts won it even though he played for the Cardinals that year.

I wouldn't do it though. If you not part of the team that wins it, why would you even want the ring?
    I think maybe one or two special cases could exist, but can't really convince myself that we'd do it. JJ, Heap, Mason...they are all great guys who did great things for our team, but we're two years removed from Mason and Heap, and JJ actively went to another team.

If Ray had retired after LAST year, he'd get a ring this year. That's the exceptions I can see. Or Reed, had he retired, would get a ring this year.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Johnson was a lunch pail player. He was stuck in the unenviable position of having a lot of value (to the Ravens or other teams), but the team had limited cap space. I miss not seeing him in there - but Kruger's growth would have continued to be stunted. I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Here's one that could happen, and might be odd....does Pagano get a ring? VERY close ties with the organization, would've coached in the SB last year except for Evans drop. And given everything he went through this year....I could see Steve B doing it for some reason.
    don't see Pags getting a ring as he's HEAD coach elsewhere, and will want to earn his own (and might)
    ...does Cam get a ring? I guess they have to!
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

I think Pagano would be insulted by getting a ring from the Ravens. I mean, C'mon, we had to beat his team to get to the dance.