Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42
  1. #16

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!



    Quote Originally Posted by Crabcake View Post
    It's not like the Ravens could have signed JJ but he turned down their offer, was it? I don't think they really made him a competitive offer. Everyone knew this was his last year. We had big contracts with Ray, Suggs, Reed, Ngata, Rice, Yanda, Webb and Boldin. We couldn't pay him close to what he was worth. I imagine any report of an offer as Ozzie calling him in, telling him how much we love him, but explaining that they weren't going to be able to give him what he deserved.

    Same situation with whomever leaves of Reed, Kruger, and Ellerbe going into this offseason. It's not a matter of greed. They want to play more and we can't pay him what they're worth.

    JJ would have helped us out a lot this year. He's a Raven for life in my eyes. Same with Ed even if he goes to Indy this summer.
    Not looking forward to the fans that turn on Ed if he doesn't end up staying a Raven.




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    I have to wonder...would JJ even WANT a ring from us?

    Like...I know none of those guys will be petitioning Steve B for a ring, but in some sense, if they are still playing, they probably want to EARN it on their own. I'm sure he wouldn't turn it down, but I don't think he expects one from us.

    Heap and Mason are the possible guys I could see, simply because Mason already retired a Raven this year and Heap is likely doing it in the offseason.

    Here's one that could happen, and might be odd....does Pagano get a ring? VERY close ties with the organization, would've coached in the SB last year except for Evans drop. And given everything he went through this year....I could see Steve B doing it for some reason.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,441
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Quote Originally Posted by scbgirlxo View Post
    Lol yall are ridiculous. It was best for BOTH parties. Your post is just proving why the Ravens didn't really want to pay him.. really COULDN'T pay him.. even at a lower price.
    My opinion, no way in hell is Jarrett Johnson worth 19 million. Hat's off to him for getting it, but the reality is that he like most former Ravens, he benefits from the cast around him. Me personally think he is a great guy, but I am glad he walked because Upshaw is going to make people say Jarrett who?

    But no way I am EVER feeling sorry for him. I feel sorry for Lardarius Webb for not being able to play, but last time I saw Jarrett he had lighting bolts on his helmet and was playing against us. Have a warm spot for what he did, but today he is merely an conquered opponent on our quest to the Super Bowl.




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,792

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I have to wonder...would JJ even WANT a ring from us?
    Why would the Ravens even offer him a ring? He isn't a part of the Super Bowl equation. Period. Yes, he gave a lot to the organization while playing here, but he was reciprocated with a pretty good salary and a reputation that he turned into a big payday. There's nothing wrong with that, but the Ravens don't owe him anything and he didn't contribute to a Super Bowl appearance.

    If anyone thinks he should get a ring, then a ring should be given to every ex-Raven who started over the last ten years. And that's just ridiculous.




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    If we re-signed JJ, we wouldn't have had cap room to sign Graham or Jacoby Jones. Not to mention that Kruger probably would have seen fewer downs. We wouldn't be in the Super Bowl without Jacoby or Graham, so it worked out well that he wasn't back.




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crabcake View Post
    It's not like the Ravens could have signed JJ but he turned down their offer, was it? I don't think they really made him a competitive offer. Everyone knew this was his last year. We had big contracts with Ray, Suggs, Reed, Ngata, Rice, Yanda, Webb and Boldin. We couldn't pay him close to what he was worth. I imagine any report of an offer as Ozzie calling him in, telling him how much we love him, but explaining that they weren't going to be able to give him what he deserved.

    Same situation with whomever leaves of Reed, Kruger, and Ellerbe going into this offseason. It's not a matter of greed. They want to play more and we can't pay him what they're worth.

    JJ would have helped us out a lot this year. He's a Raven for life in my eyes. Same with Ed even if he goes to Indy this summer.
    Yes...this. I too don't recall the Ravens ever even making him a formal offer, unlike with Grubbs. I was so frustrated when we didn't even make him a below-market-value offer with the hope he'd take a hometown discount. However, as much as I love JJ and will always consider him an all-class, all-grit Ravens lifer....we made the right choice letting him go.

    Johnson was a stud in 08 and 09, but his play clearly dropped off in 10 and 11 to the point that setting the edge was really the only thing he did well. He was as much a liability on passing downs as he was an asset on running downs. That type of player might be worth $3-4 million/year to a team that has the cap room to pay a specialist that type of money. We weren't in that position. We needed CB depth and WR depth/experience far more than we did a 1-2 down linebacker.

    Ozzie executed a virtually flawless offseason. Grubbs leaving meaning we had the $ to keep McKinnie. JJ (Upshaw/Kruger) and Redding (Art Jones) were pieces we were able to replace internally for a far cheaper dollar amount. Meanwhile, Zibby/Nakamura (Ighedibo) and Brandon McKinney (Kemoeatu) were replaced with veteran-minimum free agents. The end result is that, despite having our backs up against the salary cap wall, we found enough room to keep the core together, while adding Bronco-busters Graham and Jacoby to the mix. Ozzie also found 3 valuable players in the rookie class with Pierce, Osemele, and Tucker.

    Losing players we become attached to always stings, but the sting is a necessary measure to keep competitive year-in and year-out. If it wasn't for Ozzie's willingness to let aging veterans like JJ walk away, our roster would look a lot like the Steelers right now (which is not a good thing). We have the best front office in the NFL, and I don't think 2nd place is even close.




  7. #22

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    My opinion, no way in hell is Jarrett Johnson worth 19 million. Hat's off to him for getting it, but the reality is that he like most former Ravens, he benefits from the cast around him. Me personally think he is a great guy, but I am glad he walked because Upshaw is going to make people say Jarrett who?

    But no way I am EVER feeling sorry for him. I feel sorry for Lardarius Webb for not being able to play, but last time I saw Jarrett he had lighting bolts on his helmet and was playing against us. Have a warm spot for what he did, but today he is merely an conquered opponent on our quest to the Super Bowl.
    I'm not arguing that he didn't get paid too much or we should feel sorry for him. Just think it's very sort sighted to think he was the sole reason he isn't here especially if you understand our cap situation. Like you said he is a declining player so why would the Ravens keep him when they could play and develop younger players instead and when there are much more important players that need to be signed and every million counts. I'm sure JJ would love be apart of this team but it was just time to go different ways.
    Last edited by scbgirlxo; 01-26-2013 at 06:03 PM.




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Williams was actually our RG, who moved inside to starting C when Steve Everitt left after the 96 season. He was pissed because he claimed he was promised a long-term deal by the team, then had to play under the franchise tag. I'm always shocked too when I see him broadcasting for the team, cause he was NOT happy when he left here.

    Our starting LT before (and during) JO's first season was Tony Jones. He was pretty vocal about his unhappiness as well, when we drafted Ogden. He played here for one year at LT (JO was inside @ LG), then was traded to Denver for a 2nd rounder that we used to draft Kim Herring, the starting SS on our Super Bowl team. Things worked out better for Tony than for Wally - he won back-to-back SBs with Denver.
    Ok, thanks. I stand corrected but that was a very big and good line that came from Cleveland. It had Blackshear-sp too.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,441
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Quote Originally Posted by scbgirlxo View Post
    I'm not arguing that he didn't get paid too much or we should feel sorry for him. Just think it's very sort sighted to think he was the sole reason he isn't here especially if you understand our cap situation. Like you said he is a declining player so why would the Ravens keep him when they could play and develop younger players instead and when there are much more important players that need to be signed and every million counts. I'm sure JJ would love be apart of this team but it was just time to go different ways.
    If he gets cut or restructures in the next two years, it may very well have worked out that a home town discount and a Super Bowl ring could have been better, but I can't feel bad for him.




  10. #25

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Ok, thanks. I stand corrected but that was a very big and good line that came from Cleveland. It had Blackshear-sp too.
    Yep - and Zeus (O. Brown) in the prime of his career playing RT. That was an amazing unit - easily the best we've ever had.




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,024
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I don't feel sorry for the millionaire. He got what he wanted. Money is more important.

    The same thing happened to Wally, the LT before JO. He was franchised and pissed. Finally he left and ended up
    in NO when they were still really bad and the Ravens win the SB right after that. I laugh at him everytime I hear
    him on the radio but he got what he wanted.

    The guys I feel sad for are Heap and Mason who contributed to so many wins here but were cut and just missed it.
    Bisciott can still give them a ring if he wants to and probably will but it won't be the same w/o being here.
    You make a really good point. These guys wanted the money. No one forced them to leave
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  12. #27

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Williams was actually our RG, who moved inside to starting C when Steve Everitt left after the 96 season. He was pissed because he claimed he was promised a long-term deal by the team, then had to play under the franchise tag. I'm always shocked too when I see him broadcasting for the team, cause he was NOT happy when here
    Me too, it's sort of funny because he basically had a hissy fit in the press and had all kinds of bad things to say about Modell and the organization




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Towson
    Posts
    1,189

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Jarrett Johnson deserves a spot in the Ravens Ring of Honor.

    But, after being a top edge settter for many years, he didn't have a good year with SD in 2012. Some of that may have been change of system and some of it age.

    The NFL is a tough business. The face of your franchise must occasionally be shown the door in order to stay competitive with the cap. It's what makes the NFL the fantastic success it is that continued vigilence is required to evaluate your own talent relative to cost.

    It's sad he never got to play in a SB with the Ravens, but it would be even sadder if the Ravens were not in the SB because they decided to give a mess of money to JJ.




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Stop hating on JJ, he didn't even have a home town discount offered to him, Steve said he didn't want to give him a contract offer as it would insult him given our cap situation at the time, plus I think the FO wanted to give Kruger a shot.




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    609

    Re: Shout out to Jarrett Johnson!

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Stop hating on JJ, he didn't even have a home town discount offered to him, Steve said he didn't want to give him a contract offer as it would insult him given our cap situation at the time, plus I think the FO wanted to give Kruger a shot.
    Okay, I was mistaken then...I thought I heard they threw a low ball offer out there. I love JJ and miss him as a Raven but this is a business and I think he understood that. It's still hard seeing him in a Chargers uniform.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland