Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Ozzie says contract offer to Joe still in place regardless what happens on Feb 3rd

Since I don't hear the story every day, is Joe going to become a free agent if the Ravens don't meet his contract wishes? I'm sure they will franchise him, but has Joe ever acted like leaving would be something he would consider?

Blog Entries

Re: Ozzie says contract offer to Joe still in place regardless what happens on Feb 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Since I don't hear the story every day, is Joe going to become a free agent if the Ravens don't meet his contract wishes? I'm sure they will franchise him, but has Joe ever acted like leaving would be something he would consider?
    No chance in hell. He's 100% getting the tag if for some reason they don't reach a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    He should have been to more than that. Remember the drops in Pissburgh couple of years ago and that was after the
    3rd and 19 play with 2 mins left and Joe still brought them back and dumped the ball in Boldin's lap on the goal line and he dropped it but he's making up for it this year and that might be why.

Even in Joe's rookie year he came within 4 mins of SB but that stupid out of bounds hit took him way back when he was nearing mid field with 4 mins left. He came that close w/o any WRs at all as Mason was taken out as usual in the POs. That's why everyone
    said Ozzie would get Joe some weapons in the next draft but he didn't so it was more of the same misses on dropped balls. Oz
    passed on Nicks and Wallace who led their teams to SB before us.

He should have been to 4 SBs in last 5 years and none of the misses are his fault. The only one we would have lost
    was the Green Bay SB. We would have beaten NY last year after beating Houston twice last year including the POs
    which had a better defense.
    I pretty much feel the same way

Currently the top 5 salaries on the Ravens are all on defense. I don't know how most teams are built, but I would think the Ravens are an exception to the rule. Lewis and Reed are included with Suggs, Ngata and Webb. The last 3 are under contract and not retiring next year. Suggs is the highest paid Raven and his contract runs through 2015, Ngata 2016 and Webb 2018. Joe will be #1 next year, no doubt. Lewis will be gone and Reed won't be here unless he takes a significant reduction. The good part about Reed is if he walks we don't take a CAP hit (even though I'd like to see him stay). Yanda is the second highest paid offensive player behind Rice. When was the last superstar receiver on the Ravens? This seems to be a strategy for a long time which the only one around that long is Ozzie. I'm not complaining because Ozzie has fielded competitive teams. Joe has done well considering we have not had superstar receivers, and I'm sure the front office recognizes that.

Blog Entries

What this really sounds like is:

Ozzie has offer A in mind, while Joe has offer B in mind. All Ozzie is saying is that, offer A will remain on the table, no matter what happens next Sunday. He is saying that they both have an understanding of that and how Ozzie's offer can get closer to Joe's offer. So, it's not exactly like Joe's number is going up. It's that Ozzie willingness to meet Joe's number is going up.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Joe has never given the impression that he would be open to leaving. Neither had Rice, nor Yanda, nor Suggs or any of the other guys they drafted and eventually signed for big money. On the flip side Ben Grubbs was the same way and then he took the bigger money from the Saints, which also happened to be his hometown team.

Joe is from this area. He's been treated great. He loves playing for a winner. The Ravens would have to really piss him off for him to consider leaving. If they offer him a contract that is reasonable from a top QB point of view he's going to sign it.

Blog Entries

A starting QB really has different rules when it comes to retention...you can choose to move on from a starting WR, RB, CB, LB, etc...

RARELY do you let your starting QB walk, unless you for SURE have his replacement ready to go. Even then, teams mull whether or not to do it.

Joe isn't going anywhere. Joe knows that, Linta knows that, Ozzie knows it, Steve B knows it. The franchise tag is basically "the backup plan" if we can't work out some middle ground by free agency. After that, hard to say but I'd be very surprised if we let him play this season on the tag. Again, different rules for a starting QB. You know it's 99% unlikely you can, in one year, grab a QB to replace Joe, even on an interim basis. Letting him play on the franchise tag, he has another good year, and suddenly that contract you were hesitant to give him becomes the contract he'd laugh off the table.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I think the term and total contract value has been more or less agreed by both sides. It is really the guaranteed money and structure that still remains a question. I am guessing the Ravens wanted to wait until this year when they would have a little more room to with some of the contracts coming off of the books. The Ravens had a tight cap situation this year and Rice was eating up a large portion of that when he was tagged. I am guessing that the Ravens were figuring they would need to do a bit of a roster overhaul this year.