Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iggyman555 Guest

Thank you Ricky Williams

..for retiring and making us draft Bernard "Fierce" Pierce :respect

Blog Entries

Re: Thank you Ricky Williams

I know he wished he would've came back now.

Blog Entries

To some extent, thank you Ray Rice for holding out on your deal until last possible minute...without that uncertainty at RB, we probably wait until a bit later to draft a RB.

Just remember when he was underwhelming in TC, ending up injured most of the time? What a difference now, where's he's quite obviously injured but finding a way to fight through!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jay D83 View Post
    I know he wished he would've came back now.
    That's what you get when you let an email by Bill Parcells completely turn your perspective around. That said, I like Ricky and hope that he is happy in whatever he is doing.

If we win on February 3, that's when I think he might start regretting it.

Ricky Williams retiring has nothing to do with drafting Bernard Pierce. Remember the ravens scout all year round and I'm pretty sure he was already on their draft board before Ricky called it quits. The ravens are often well prepared come draft time and probably knew before the 210/2011 season that Ricky was going to retire anyway.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Ricky Williams retiring has nothing to do with drafting Bernard Pierce. Remember the ravens scout all year round and I'm pretty sure he was already on their draft board before Ricky called it quits. The ravens are often well prepared come draft time and probably knew before the 210/2011 season that Ricky was going to retire anyway.

no they didnt

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    no they didnt
    LOL. Way to cherry pick. In any case I stand by my opinion:)

Blog Entries

It's not that he wasn't on their draft board, it's that Ricky's depature left us a big hole. AA and Berry were long shot to really step up to that #2 role, and we knew to succeed in the AFCN, you needed two strong RBs to pair up. We had that for awhile with Rice and McGahee, then last year with Ricky and Ray. This year, Pierce filled the role of the "one-cut" back that hits the hole hard and runs north-south.

Like I said, a bigger reason for drafting Pierce was Ray's potential holdout
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The best part about the Pierce pick was the number of fans that bitched about it relentlessly. Ravens front office showed once again why they are considered one of the best.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    It's not that he wasn't on their draft board, it's that Ricky's depature left us a big hole. AA and Berry were long shot to really step up to that #2 role, and we knew to succeed in the AFCN, you needed two strong RBs to pair up. We had that for awhile with Rice and McGahee, then last year with Ricky and Ray. This year, Pierce filled the role of the "one-cut" back that hits the hole hard and runs north-south.

Like I said, a bigger reason for drafting Pierce was Ray's potential holdout
    :word

Ricky being Ricky - I don't think he knew one day from the next he was going to retire until he did.

We probably wouldn't have picked Pierce if there wasn't a need for a back-up RB, mainly due to the fact that we traded up for him. No way we trade up for a player that doesn't fit a need. I find it amazing that a GM can be so sure of what other teams will do, and how players are valued by other teams that he's still willing to trade up as late as the 3rd round. Not doubting Ozzie for giving away a pick to move up when 60 players were already taken, but just in awe of how he can make those decisions.