Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL.COM Top Quarterbacks under 30

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    That's my point exactly. Also, you also have to consider the offense that Flacco has played in. He was asked to make more difficult throws than any other QB according to Greg Cosell.
    If true, is there a way for advanced stats to measure that? :p

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    So yes, if I was playing football in a lab, I'd take Ryan. On turf, against angry men hell bent on breaking the QB in half, in the wind and snow....

FLACCO EVERY FUCKING TIME.
    Every. Fucking. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    If true, is there a way for advanced stats to measure that? :p
    average distance to target... or something to that respect. Joe threw the most balls over 20,30 and 40 yards last time I saw such a stat posted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    average distance to target... or something to that respect. Joe threw the most balls over 20,30 and 40 yards last time I saw such a stat posted.
    Does that count how hard an out route is to complete cause that's the only play your OC called and the defender's know it? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoom View Post
    Also, I would take Montana, which means nothing because he is the best QB of all time. But let's compare contemporaries, shall we. Let's take Tom Brady, aka Mr. Clutch, and compare him to Peyton, aka, Mr. Choke. They have both played in over a seasons worth of playoff games (23 vs 24) so sample size is not an issue. Who do we think has a better QB rating in the playoffs? Oh, it's Mr. Choker himself! I guess "clutch" comes and goes as we please. It couldn't be that the Pats had a better defense and special teams all those years, could it? No! Clutch! Well surely Peyton threw more interceptions, right? Nope. Well I'm sure we will redefine clutch as "backbreaking" interceptions or something else that can't be quantified so you can continue to trust your gut over actual evidence. Or we will say that Tom lost this "clutch" gene (not that it is nonexistent).
    You are proving my point. Yes, "backbreaking" interceptions cannot be quantified with stats, you have to look with your EYES, and take the CONTEXT.

I don't put any stock into GW drives. I was using it to disprove this idiocy of "clutch".
    So, throwing a TD when you're team is up 27-7 is the same as throwing it when you are down 27-24 and it wins the game? The pressure, nerves, pysche, all the same? Are you kidding me dude? Really?

I love this argument. I also love the cherry picking of two play. Allow me to cherry pick: If two plays go differently in the playoffs this year, then Joe goes 1-1, and Matt Ryan is heading to the super bowl. These plays don't even have to involve either QB, and yet they would change how "clutch" these QBs are.
    No, they would not. Again, you have to actually watch the games, watch what the QB's actually do throughout the game, with the plays they are involved in. Those plays weren't arbitrarily "cherry picked". They were what the two respective QB's did at the last moments of big games when the games were on the line and they had to make a play or go home. One came up big, one did not. And it's not even that one made a play and one didn't, it's HOW they made the plays, and HOW they took advantage of what the defenses gave them, or did not.

What do players do to prepare for a game? Do they sit there and just look at stats, or do they watch game film?

Matt's a good QB, Atlanta's lucky to have him and all the offensive talent with him. I think even if he had our offensive talent he'd still be a good QB. As far as winning games that matter? Joe and it's not even close, despite what some in this thread have said. I've seen most Atlanta fans (on their board) complain more about their defense than Ryan and I suppose that's true as well; those guys gave up the ghost after the Falcons offense put up 24 points to 0 in the first half. At the end of the day though, Ryan had a chance to put it away and instead threw a pick and muffed a snap. Those things can happen to anyone and I'm not condemning him for them but at the same time, Flacco usually does those bone-headed things in the regular season but in the post-season when it's win or go home, the man wins. He puts the team on his back, and we win. It isn't just this post-season that he's done that either.

Funny, this discussion is everywhere these days.

They were just talking about it on Sirius NFL Radio. For the record, Jim Miller picks Flacco.

As do most of the Falcon fans on this thread - http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/top...lacco-vs-ryan/.

I think they are both VERY good quarterbacks.
    But I see two very similar quarterbacks given two very dissimilar teams and opportunities.
    The Falcons took a top pick and went out of their way and justifingly so, to build an above average offense around him. He has two number 1 wideouts and a HOF tightend and a very good runningback. Offensive line, I don't know enough about. And the defense might have suffered due to the talent given to Ryan.

Meanwhile, Joe goes to a team with great defense, but no real playmakers to rival anything the Falcons have had.
    It took years for the Ravens to put quality players around Joe, but more importantly, he was handcuffed by his own OC. Removal of the OC has proved, in my mind, what many of us saw (which the media did not). Joe has had to be perfect to succeed. Very difficult in the NFL. Caldwell is now playing to Joe's strengths and helping run the plays to get these receivers open and Joe has the arm to make all the throws.
    Defense has bailed Joe out a number of times, but he has also had many game winning drops that have made a huge difference with Joe going one game further almost every post season.

I will stick with Joe, especially since his biggest chains have been removed.