Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Who do you most want to be Superbowl MVP?

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    If Flacco wins it, he's almost certain to play under the Franchise Tag next season, because his agent won't let him sign for what we can afford while his most recent résumé item is "Super Bowl MVP". And if he plays on the Franchise Tag, expect a down year, because he'll probably sit out training camps as Franchisees are apt to do. In which case, after a down year, we can sign him for a fair price.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    If Flacco wins it, he's almost certain to play under the Franchise Tag next season, because his agent won't let him sign for what we can afford while his most recent résumé item is "Super Bowl MVP". And if he plays on the Franchise Tag, expect a down year, because he'll probably sit out training camps as Franchisees are apt to do. In which case, after a down year, we can sign him for a fair price.
    I think I disagree with just about everything in here. Flacco's pinnacle may never be higher to get a big contract than right now, win or lose. He'd be a fool not to cash in on a long-term contract right now.

can't decide between between Flacco and Ray Lewis

I would LOVE if Flacco had a HUGE game and shoved it up everyones ass --- I STILL have a buddy that thinks Romo is better then Joe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I think I disagree with just about everything in here. Flacco's pinnacle may never be higher to get a big contract than right now, win or lose. He'd be a fool not to cash in on a long-term contract right now.
    I think Callahan is trying to say that it isn't up to Joe -- that the Ravens would want to limit the cap hit to whatever the franchise tag brings ($14.6M I think) rather than what a long term deal would bring.

That said, the cap is set to jump in 2014. Signing Joe to a 6 or 7 year deal with the bigger figures backloaded, may allow the team to escape next year with a $11-13M cap number for Joe. If it does, that is a better deal than franchising Joe and taking the $14.6M cap hit. If we need to keep people like Ellerbe, Q, Bonecrusher, Vonta, Jacoby, Kruger, etc., even $2-3M of cap space is crucial. I don't think it is a price issue. I think it is a cap issue.

And I think Joe is stand up enough to do the deal before the franchise tag deadline if it means keeping someone like Q around.

For me, it has to be Flacco to shut up the doubters.

If it were to be a defensive player, it probably would have to be Ed Reed or even Pollard.
    IF we slow the run enough to make them air it out, then on the back end, the DBs and specifically Reed has to make some plays. If the Niners start trying to pass down the field to their tightends, that means Pollard coming up to stop the run AND cover them. So, he will get his chances.
    And we all know if a young quarterback makes the mistake of thinking Ed is just another DB at his age, then it could play right into his hands. He was flying around in the Pats game but Brady was really off a number of times when he threw deeper KNOWING Ed was back there waiting. Ed might have picked off the one at the goalline if it wasn't such a bad pass when he collided with Jimmy Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    I think Callahan is trying to say that it isn't up to Joe -- that the Ravens would want to limit the cap hit to whatever the franchise tag brings ($14.6M I think) rather than what a long term deal would bring.

That said, the cap is set to jump in 2014. Signing Joe to a 6 or 7 year deal with the bigger figures backloaded, may allow the team to escape next year with a $11-13M cap number for Joe. If it does, that is a better deal than franchising Joe and taking the $14.6M cap hit. If we need to keep people like Ellerbe, Q, Bonecrusher, Vonta, Jacoby, Kruger, etc., even $2-3M of cap space is crucial. I don't think it is a price issue. I think it is a cap issue.

And I think Joe is stand up enough to do the deal before the franchise tag deadline if it means keeping someone like Q around.
    I agree with what you have down here, but I think your $11-13 million estimate for a first year cap hit is a bit off. Drew Brees' 5 year/100 million contract only gave him a cap hit of $10.4 million for this past year (the first year). Now, of course, the Saints backloaded that contract so that he's making $26 million+ in each of 2015 and 2016 (when he'd be 36 and 37 respectively). He's unlikely to see those base salaries.

I expect the Ravens not to backload the contract as much as Brees, because Flacco is 5 years younger during this extension than Brees, and I think the Ravens would want the contract to make sense for the duration of the contract. However, I still expect a contract of around 6 years- $100 million (16.7 per year) with his first year cap # to be around $9.5 million. I'd then expect that 2nd year cap # to jump to around $14 or so in 2014, when everyone will have more cap flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    That would require Oher picking up a fumbled snap and running it 80 yards for a touchdown, and then returning a squib kick for a touchdown. And then Tucker getting injured and Oher replacing him and coming in and kicking a game-winning 65 yard field goal.
    It could happen...