Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

Why shouldn't Matt Birk give his opinion too? You were the one saying someone should be quiet. That wasn't me.

It's true I said a few things that weren't facts. Here, for instance, is a non-fact:

Treat like cases alike. Mind your own business. What your neighbors do on their time with their own consenting loved ones is not your concern.

See? Those are not facts. I have loads more. Just because they aren't facts doesn't mean they are wrong.

It's ok. Justice is a rising tide.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Festivus!

Lets play a game, it will be like a scavenger hunt of sorts if you will. IM EXCITED!! :happyanim

Ok..here are some things that you have just recently supposed i said and took place in this discussion.

1. You said you were tired of *him*. Not what he was saying, but him:
    2.after you were challenged on *that* did you say it's because of your faith.
    3. edit: You were the one saying someone should be quiet.
    4.You *were* hiding it.

i want you to go back in this thread and find where i said any of this, or where the sequence of events happened as you said they did.

then in the bonus round you can double your points by proving
    1.children of homosexual parents grow up just fine.
    2.the team has no problem with him speaking out.

when your finished wrestling all that up bring it back to me and then we can talk. but until then i have nothing else to say to you
    Last edited by Everything_Ravens; 01-24-2013 at 11:39 PM.

I don't feel like reading all your posts to you, but I do owe you a source for the Ravens backing Ayanbadejo's decision to speak out. Here it is. I'm sure they also supported Birk speaking up, though as far as I recall they never said so.

You can read all your own posts again, if you want. I responded to them when & how I thought appropriate.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I just don't like to see bigotry go unchallenged; I'd hate to think the readers of our forum think poorly of the board because of an intolerant few.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I just don't like to see bigotry go unchallenged; I'd hate to think the readers of our forum think poorly of the board because of an intolerant few.
    no you rather them think its ok to call people bigots because of their religion. and you would rather them read a forum were people will lie and say that they said something that was never said, to try and support their own argument.

0x2=0

Good Night to all

To be clear, no one believes that having faith makes you a bigot. Or even believing that a religious partnership is the exclusive domain of heterosexual couples.

Festivus and I, (if I can speak for him) are stating that a desire to impose that religious exclusivity to the secular concept of LEGAL marriage is a bigoted practice.

Which is why I objected to the idea that both sides are equally intolerant. On one side of the coin are people like Festivus and I who want equal rights for all, AS WELL AS religious folks like my sisters for example, who also want equal legal rights for homosexuals. On the other side are people who don't want that legal equality. That those people are statistically overwhelmingly people of faith is irrelevant to why I believe their view is bigotry.

The desire to deny equal legal rights to all people is bigotry, the motivation behind that desire is merely a distraction to that discussion. (A distraction I admit I am guilty of engaging in too. I'm not trying to declare myself above anyone here.)

I envy people who have faith. I wish I could take comfort in a higher power sometimes. But even if I could, that would not change my desire to see all people being treated equally under the law.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    So I should mark you down as a woman beater? Because the Bible says that's cool too.
    Wrong. I'm sure that was sarcasm or one of your famous tongue-in-cheek comments HR.

The Bible does not say that.

The Pauline epistles make it clear that men should lead the church and not be under the authority of women just as the men should lead the family as God created man first and just as Christ founded the church but no where does it say it's cool to beat women. The Bible makes it clear to take care of the widows (James 1:27, 1 Timothy 5:3-4) , not beat them.

In fact, Jesus took care of his women folk and loved Mary Magdeline and his mother and
    told his brother to take care of Mary when he died.

In fact, a woman, Mary Magdeline, was the first to see the resurrected Christ.

In fact, the 4 daughters of Phillip had the spiritual gift of prophesizing (Acts).

In fact, thousands if not millions of Christian women were martyed by the Romans and subject
    to rape via beastality, burning and a woman drowned her 3 daughters and herself before the
    Romans grabbed them for torture.

In fact, the first convert in Europe was a woman.

In fact, many if not most inmates in America's prisons never had a father to lead the
    family and it's the break down of the American family.

From the fatherless generation. This is what God doesn't want happening to his church:

http://thefatherlessgeneration.wordp...om/statistics/
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-25-2013 at 03:19 AM.

I have a colleague who *claims* to be a big time femi-nazi/bull-dyke/ubber-liberal type woman. Truth is, she's moderate just like 99% of people are; she just happens to lean a little to the left.

She and I have discussed this numerous times since I'm a conservative/christian/right-wing wacko. The major sticking point is that marriage is the union of man and woman before God. Now if we look at the marriage vows, "What God has brought together, let no man tear asunder", we see my favorite argument tool. A loophole. Like many, many, many, etc... other things, government has screwed this up. Man and woman wanna go get hitched, ride down to the court house for a civil union. Woman and woman wanna get together, ride down to the court house for a civil union. As a conservative I don't want the government telling me how I should live. Everybody else should have the same rights.

Strike the word marriage from legal use. That's fair for everyone.

Now for the original issue of this thread. If BA says something about it in an interview, that's fine. If he does something during the game to detract from the biggest sporting event of the year, yeah I have some problems.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Minus the salty language in your opening, I agree wholeheartedly ( including your take on BA's campaign) and I'm about as liberal as one can get on the gay rights issue. Clearly this board has reached consensus, someone alert congress and let's just get this done and put to bed forever so we can focus on what matters: blaming each other for every other problem in the history of this country!
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

I agree with darb to a point...my sticking point is that legally, no one's marriage is recognized as "Catholic marriage", "Christian marriage", "Jewish marriage", "Muslim marriage", etc. It's just "married". So, by trying to squeeze in "well, Catholic/Christian marriage laws say..." that is going against the separation of church and state. Hell, my wife and I are married, but not religious. We did not have a religious ceremony. Can we still call that a marriage, since it didn't take place with a church's blessing?

So, either go all or none with that. Make it so it's defined by religion, ie a "Catholic marriage" is differently marked than a "Civil Marriage", or stop calling it married altogether in the eyes of the law and just call it "civil union" or whatever flavor it is.

Really, knowing government, the path of simplest action is to grant same sex couples the title "married" when it comes to any couple status, and not try to rewrite all sorts of codes and such. That's why any enactment of legislation needs to have a stipulation that no church will be FORCED to honor a same sex marriage if that church does not believe in it. There, you HAVE your religious protection without forcing it on others.

PS - As for BA and Birk, they have both acknowledged their opposing views...guess how much it affects them working together? ZERO! Message from the team is clear, they know they can't and won't tell their players to shut their mouth when it comes to issues that are passionate to them. Hell, Luke Scott was a birther and no one from the Orioles shut him up! They opted not to re-sign him, but that probably had most to do with his injury history.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I've had issues in the past as well with the man and woman language in the Bible as well so to that point I agreed with Darb for many years. Years go by and the more of a theist I've become, I've known the Bible to be a not always right guideline and certainly not a book to be taken word for word as truth.

But as I got to know many people in the gay community -- mainly friends in and around Fells Point -- it became clear real quick the need for them to be treated as equal.

I do, however still believe that the harsh language / rhetoric from either side is exactly the wrong way to go about educating folks. This shouldn't become an us against them type of issue for either side. It's too important. It hardens people and thus, nobody ever changes.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I agree with you in theory, but you know several NON-FOOTBALL topics will be covered in Media Week... It's just the nature of the national media. I don't see BA going out of his way to steer an interview towards same sex marriage. I think he'll just choose to speak about it if/when someone asks. He and Chris Kluwe of the Vikings are WELL known for their outspoken support of same sex marriage, so I'm sure a good portion of the questions asked of BA will involve that.

Let's get some obvious out of the way...BA won't be commanding a crowd at media day. I like him, but he's not even top 10 on the popular list of Ravens. He's going to be a guy who will be making the rounds and a few radio stations/writers here and there will grab him for a quick interview. I'm sure that the ones who do will ask him about his noted views, which are news worthy to them because not many sports figures have come out for it as strongly as BA has.
    He said this:

"Is there anything I can do for marriage equality or anti-bullying over the next couple of weeks to harness this Super Bowl media?" he wrote. He hit "send" on the email just before 4 a.m.

Sounds like he is going to push it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Minus the salty language in your opening, I agree wholeheartedly ( including your take on BA's campaign) and I'm about as liberal as one can get on the gay rights issue. Clearly this board has reached consensus, someone alert congress and let's just get this done and put to bed forever so we can focus on what matters: blaming each other for every other problem in the history of this country!
    Salty language is all hers. I learned a long time ago not to argue with that woman about what she wants to be called.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock