OT: Ravens & Steelers Fans at the Polar Bear Plunge

Joe Flacco couldn't make the MSP Polar Bear Plunge this year, but the thousands of EXTREMELY fired up Ravens Fans there were more than happy to cut the dude a little slack. ;)

There's always tons of purple at the Plunge but of course Ravens colors were everywhere today. Excitement about our Super Bowl team was at a fever pitch. They announced that the total number of Plungers during this 17 year old annual event to raise funds for the incredibly inspiring athletes of Special Olympics Maryland had reached 100,000 persons bringing in over 20 million dollars since 1997.

This is a good thing, and it makes people feel good doing it - so it was not totally surprising that I would go over to a picnic table of Steeler fans who were about to take the icy dip and genuinely congratulate them for plungeing and helping out the kids of SOMD. You see there is also a Polar Bear type event called "The Dunk" up at Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland - definitely Steeler country. However, every year intrepid Ravens Fans travel a couple hundred miles to help out and they outnumber the Steeler Fans big time. In fact, the Ravens Roost 4 team out of Ellicott City raised more funds than any other group last year.

So I talked to these good folks about spreading the word and getting more of the Pitt Fans involved for the good of a great cause and they agreed with me. We had a pretty good conversation about it actually and the harmony that comes with doing a good thing seemed to rule the day. I pointed at the rows of purple tents in the Ravens Roost tailgate lot and said they could do the same thing up in their territory. The Steeler guys said yeah they are always impressed by our turnout every year (250-300 plungers and 150K+) and they wanted to get more of their buds to do it too. It was pretty cool talking to them. A lady wearing black n yellow asked me for a light of her cigarette. I obliged her and she said in what she obviously felt was a very charming and endearing manner, "Wow, you are a very respectfull gentleman. It's really very surprising actually, because your fans are not a very respectfull group usually".

::bag::bag::bag:

And now the $64,000 question ...

What would be your response?
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Re: OT: Ravens & Steelers Fans at the Polar Bear Plunge

RFD--
    I guess "For a fat girl, you don't sweat much!" would be somewhat gauche? ;)

On a serious note, my hat is off to you, mon ami, as I know you are one diehard mofo Ravens fan, and your efforts are appreciated even down here in Hickory, NC. FWIW, thank you and your "posse" for fighting the good fight and giving back to the community.

sante,
    Beau

Mon plaisir
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Pas de probleme, mon ami!

ALLEZ LES RAVENS!!!!!!

(I hope all is going well with you and your lovely bride.)

Blog Entries

Did you see Fan Man and the Bus Boys from Nest 1? I'm sure you saw a large contingent from Nest 1 in Harford County. We always had a gang led by him and Lauren. She always said once you get over the initial shock of the cold water it's OK.

I was gonna say that Ravens colors are about the only ones I've seen up here in Harford County. I haven't
    seen any Squeelers colors at all and only 1 Skins colors, a guy who lives in my condo bldg.

There's a lot of purple flags on cars and hats. Just got an AFC Championship hat. Need another SB hat to go with
    my old one which is worn out but still has all the signatures including both the winning and losing coaches of
    SB 35.

Ravens fans are proud and will take over NO like they did Tampa. I know a lot of people going that don't
    even have tics but they're going to the parties. It's gonna be like the Mardi Gra.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-26-2013 at 10:38 PM.

How 'bout something like, "I usually don't like buck teeth, but on you they work".
    Last edited by Derf; 01-27-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Should have said............

"Yeah i know but if you want to see some real mental midget, inbred asshole fans who have no idea what the fuck they are talking about 99% of the time visit steelernation.com".