Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Tom Brady fined 10k for reed kick

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Interesting. Also how brady was not given a penalty for moving around on the trick snap. Rice moved his shoulders earlier and was called.
    I don't get how that wasn't a false start. I've seen Rivers get a false start for moving his hands too much on a hard count.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I don't get how that wasn't a false start. I've seen Rivers get a false start for moving his hands too much on a hard count.
    I don't know how that rule is written, but Brady was never set... We've seen some QBs get a way with a lot of movement (Manning) and some barely any. It's weird... I wish the officials would address it and just be consistent with a rule, whether it's the original rule or a new rewritten rule that is well defined.

I mean... a RB, FB, WRs, and TEs all have to be set before the snap of the ball. I also noticed Welker still moving when they snapped it on his scoring play. Also, I haven't heard anyone bring up the no call on the late hit/interference on Ed Reed's Fair catch. You could hear the crack of the pads/helmet to helmet hit on that play... lame.

Blog Entries

By comparison, 49ers running back Frank Gore was fined $10,500 for wearing his socks too low in the NFC championship. Steelers safety Troy Polamalu was fined $10,000 last year for calling his wife on the sideline to let her know he was okay after taking a hit to the head.
    NFL is really sending a message with this...
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    Now how many games is he getting suspended for?

I don't want to wish injury on any player, but I would have liked to see him get a torn ACL for that dirty kick. Just to see if he could come back as quick as T-Sizzle.
    That was basically my first thought when I watched him do it. He was taking a huge risk sticking his leg/ankle out before an NFL collision. Reed saved him by avoiding contact.

Now about about the contact on Reed after he signalled for and made a fair catch? I have never seen that NOT called before; IIRC a flag was thrown and picked up on that play. 'Splain please, Lucy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Now the NFL can move on to investigate why the Patriots WRs "Duck" their heads to spear defenders in the head, fishing for helmet-to-hemet penalty calls. Am I the only one who noticed this? When I watched the game online yesterday and then again last night, I noticed this. While I think it's a decent offensive strategy, (Patriots do their best to push the rules within the rules limits), it is dangerous and makes a mockery of the "helmet to helmet contact" rule and the NFL's desire to limit head injuries. If it somehow comes out later that the Pats organization coaches this concept... will the NFL come down hard on them similar to bounty gate?
    Good point. I re-watched the game last night and the receiver ducked his head down into Ray's head which was at the height of his torso. Conversely, if I'm a receiver and I'm expecting to get lit up, I may duck and get to the ground quickly. So I'm not certain they teach that, but I wouldn't doubt it. I've seen Ravens all year obviously trying to avoid the head to head collisions yet still getting penalized. I could argue either way on some of those, but some were questionable. The worst was Pollard getting called when he used the side of his body to make contact.

Although not a penalty, Pollard's hit on Ridley was on of the most devastating hits all year. Ridley was out cold which is clearly severe head trauma. Again, the runner chose to duck his head into Pollard and is therefore equally responsible for the collision. Unknowledgeable Patriots fans feel that was a dirty play by Pollard.

Honestly, I expect the trend to continue and may evolve into a game I'll have no interest in watching.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    That was basically my first thought when I watched him do it. He was taking a huge risk sticking his leg/ankle out before an NFL collision. Reed saved him by avoiding contact.

Now about about the contact on Reed after he signalled for and made a fair catch? I have never seen that NOT called before; IIRC a flag was thrown and picked up on that play. 'Splain please, Lucy.
    the only way thats not called is if he bobbled or dropped it. What i saw was Reed misjudge it and catch it low to the ground but cleanly before getting popped. I dont remember there being a flag at all on the play but i could be mistaken.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    the only way thats not called is if he bobbled or dropped it. What i saw was Reed misjudge it and catch it low to the ground but cleanly before getting popped. I dont remember there being a flag at all on the play but i could be mistaken.
    No penalty was called, although I clearly heard the impact. I don't understand either why that wasn't a penalty.

I'm glad he was fined. 'Bout time

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Just a quick opinion on the Pollard-Ridley collision--
    FWIW, and IMHO, Pollard did less to "hit" Ridley than Ridley did to "spear" Pollard with his helmet - bigfish's "the runner chose to duck his head into Pollard". The initial broadcast and replays clearly indicate that Ridley did almost a double-dip to get his helmet down to a level where contact could occur. Whether or not he purposefully tried to draw a call/penalty, I cannot say. But it was very clear that Pollard's effort on that play was not to hit Ridley in the helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Whether or not he purposefully tried to draw a call/penalty, I cannot say. But it was very clear that Pollard's effort on that play was not to hit Ridley in the helmet.
    I was originally talking about their WRs ducking their heads to make purposeful contact to fish/draw a flag when making a catch. Helmet-to-helmet is not illegal on a runner.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Furry-
    Pas de probleme, mon ami. I recognize that the helmet-to-helmet is not illegal on a runner (I guess unless a player launches himsel;f to spear a guy, but even then...), and my comment was/is not directed at your comments, more just a general "IMO".

To be honest, I thought the officials were going to contrive some type of call on Pollard (not sure what), but I was scratching my head as to why Ridley ducked his helmet as much as he did, which created the h-2-h collision. As soon as that happened, my buddy and I flinched, knowing that the play would not end well for Ridley. I think it'd be tough to "legislate" the rules to prevent this, but as many have noted before, how to you make rules for contact when 200+ (or even 300+) pound guys are flying around and acting/reacting to literally split-second physical moves?

Newton mighta said, "Rules are rules, but laws cannot be broken!" ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    I was scratching my head as to why Ridley ducked his helmet as much as he did, which created the h-2-h collision.
    I think Ridley learned a life lesson. His determined mind convinced him that it was a good idea to run over Pollard and the other defenders to score a touchdown and become the hero of the game. Sometime after he woke up I'm sure he had an epiphany.