Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cam Speaks

Re: Cam Speaks

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    There is a kernel of truth to what Cameron is describing, and it shows up often when any coach is fired and the interim coach goes on a mini-winning streak. Coaches get fired when results are bad. When results are bad everyone wants to blame someone other than themselves, it is natural. The players think the coach is hurting them, the coach thinks the players aren't executing or trying hard enough. Then, since it is always easier to fire a single coach than try to replace a whole slew of players, the coach gets fired. Then, once the coach is gone, the players naturally want to 'prove' it wasn't them in terms of responsibility, so they try harder and results improve.

All that said, I think Cameron was absolutely holding this team back offensively with his scheme and philosophy a lot of the time (not all the time).
    i can see that...sort of like how the Chiefs started playing well when Crennel took over as interim coach last season. too bad for him it didnt carry over into THIS season

Re: Cam Speaks

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    While that may be true to an extent. Why would the same offense, with the same players be doing better with the only change being a coordinator?
    One possibility is what Cam said -- it woke a lot of people up. Ray Rice said it himself: "“This is something that I think is a wake-up call for everybody,” Rice said. “You never know when your day is going to be called. Nobody wants that to happen, but it’s a wake-up call for everybody around the building. "
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,5799984.story

You're saying this offense is doing 'better' because it hung up 28 points on New England, but it hung the same number of points on Washington the day before he was fired. It hung 44 on Cincy, 31 on New England, 31 on Dallas, and 55 on Oakland. They had essentially the same offensive performance in New England in the playoffs a year ago, the only real difference is that this year we actually caught all of our TD passes.

It wasn't like the offense under Cam was completely inept and incapable (like the Blake/Boller/Wright years.) The issue for the offense was consistency. That may have been a lack of focus by some players, in which case the 'wake-up' call idea actually has legs.

Remember also that one other major change was made -- the offensive line. Joe, like most QB's, is much better when he has ATS. You watch the games -- you can remember games around the middle of the season when Joe could barely get the snap before he had someone in his grill.

I agree Cam's playcalling was partly responsible for the quick pressure, and part of the lack of consistency might have been due to him not putting guys in the best position to succeed. I wasn't really trying to rebut the criticism of Cam as an OC. But the criticism of how he handled that interview is unwarranted. The guy was, and is, full-on class, and while I think letting him go was a great and bold move, he definitely deserves the SB ring he's going to get.