Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Flacco Sets A New Record With His Lack Of INTs (En Route To More Records)

Nice posts calllahan09!

Have you considered differentiating games where Flacco had extra time to prepare between games where the opponent also had time to prepare and when they didn't. For most, if not all, bye weeks he would have faced opponents with only 1 week to prepare, but for season openers both teams would be on equal footing in that the opposing defense also had extra time to prepare for Flacco.

The latter is more representative of what we'll have for the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The media LOVES mobile QBs, because they are FLASHY. Especially guys like Kaepernick and Wilson and RG3 who actually have a solid arm when they need to throw down field. They become this "unstoppable force" because they can dash all over the place, and "can beat you more than one way"

A pocket QB is way more efficient than a mobile QB. As can be seen with RG3 this year. Moving and running in this league makes you a runner, which means the defense is going to SMASH you at every opportunity. And eventually, you pay the price.
    All these QBs were efficient passers when healthy. Their mobility made it hard for defenses to focus on defending the pass, so they were frequently presented with less challenging coverages.

The problem, as you pointed out. Is the propensity for injury. This is a problem for a player like Vick or RGIII who can't resist the urge to fight for more yardage. I think if one of these young mobile QBs can learn to be smarter about taking hits, they could greatly reduce their additional injury liability. I still think they're at greater risk then strictly pocket QBs, but maybe by a more tolerable margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Yet on SiriusNFL I heard them comparing the two QBs and saying "I'd rather have Kaepernick". No doubt that dude is very talented but lets give Joe a little credit here.
    On Sportsnation yesterday the question was posed, and the poll had 55% Flacco, 45% Kap.

[QUOTE=callahan09;568188]Record 1

Record 2

He also happens to be in 4th place on another interesting list. Most consecutive pass attempts without an interception in a single post-season; Current top 5:

Eli Manning (2011) - 112
    Drew Brees (2009) - 102
    Eli Manning (2007) - 95
    Joe Flacco (2012) - 93
    Tom Brady (2001) - 90

Boy is that a nice list to be on. Unless I'm mistaken, those 4 all won the SB. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Nice posts calllahan09!

Have you considered differentiating games where Flacco had extra time to prepare between games where the opponent also had time to prepare and when they didn't. For most, if not all, bye weeks he would have faced opponents with only 1 week to prepare, but for season openers both teams would be on equal footing in that the opposing defense also had extra time to prepare for Flacco.

The latter is more representative of what we'll have for the Super Bowl.
    Sure, in the kind of games you mention, he has:

119/193, 1382 Yards, 9 TD, 2 INT
    61.7%, 7.16 Y/A, 230 Y/G, 94.5 QB Rating

That's 6 games. All 5 season openers, plus the 2009 game following the bye week, against the Broncos, was also the Broncos first game after their bye week.

Ravens won all 6 games.

Obviously everybody going into the 5 season opener games was 0-0 at the time. The Broncos were 6-0 at the time following the bye week, we gave them their first loss of the season.

[QUOTE=riprulz8;568471]
    Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Record 1

Record 2

He also happens to be in 4th place on another interesting list. Most consecutive pass attempts without an interception in a single post-season; Current top 5:

Eli Manning (2011) - 112
    Drew Brees (2009) - 102
    Eli Manning (2007) - 95
    Joe Flacco (2012) - 93
    Tom Brady (2001) - 90

Boy is that a nice list to be on. Unless I'm mistaken, those 4 all won the SB. :)
    That's true, the other 4 did all win the Super Bowl.

Flacco broke both records 2 and 3 as described in my original post. He passes Eli Manning for most consecutive pass attempts in a post season without an INT, and passes Drew Brees for most total pass attempts in a post season without an INT. Flacco's 126 attempts betters Eli's 112 in 2011 and Brees' 102 from 2009 in those respective records. He also tied Joe Montana for most passing touchdowns without an INT in a post season, with 11. He also had the third most passing yards in a single post season. He also had the third highest passer rating in a single post season (minimum 60 attempts) behind only Troy Aikman in 1992 and Joe Montana in 1989.

Flacco's 105.0 QB rating since 2010 in the post season tops the league in that time, and he has played more games than anyone in that time (8, next most is Aaron Rodgers with 7).

His 86.2 career rating in the post season is 18th best of all time (minimum 100 attempts), just in front of Steve Young (85.8 rating), and just below Brett Favre (86.3).

His 9 playoff wins is also tied for 10th all time. He has a 102.1 QB rating in those 9 wins.
    Last edited by callahan09; 02-04-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Quite simply the best postseason by any QB in NFL history. Stats and records aside, the big throws, clutch moments, are the best I've ever witnessed in my 40+ years of watching the game.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Quite simply the best postseason by any QB in NFL history. Stats and records aside, the big throws, clutch moments, are the best I've ever witnessed in my 40+ years of watching the game.
    :word

And I've got 40+ under my belt as well! The great part is, no matter which players stay or leave, I believe the Ravens are poised to repeat with Caldwell running the offense. This means an incredible year for Joe next year as well. He haw not hit his ceiling.