Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Why Are The 49ers Favored?

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    But really, our huge benefit from the Dome is that Tucker should to be able to put it out of the endzone on kickoffs......and that has been our biggest weakness, obviously in Denver and even problems in New England.
    Surely David Akers enjoys the calmness of domes as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    In the NFCC game, falcons are playing a 5-3-3 look almost every snap. They also seem to be keying on the QB to the point of neglecting their assignment. It won't be as easy against the Ravens
    To me it seemed that Atlantas defense was tired in the fourth quarter. Ryan giving the 9ers good field position after turnovers and and basically Ryan gave the game away. Turner being hurt did not help the falcons at all. 9ers secondary will be tire playing the Ravens. Flacco plays his A game, no turnovers, and the defense punishes 9er receivers and backs on every play. Refs should be equal to both teams. Joes bombs will break the back of the 9ers secondary. I se quite a few PI penalties coming against the 9ers. That alone will give viewers a chance to see which Harbaugh can hold his emotions better. Jim is going to lose his mind on Feb 3.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    San Fran earned a 2 seed in a much more difficult NFC.
    San Fran played the #24 hardest schedule, Ravens #5, FYI.

Blog Entries

Multiple threat QB
    Pounding run game with Frank Gore/Speed with LaMichael James
    Solid offensive line
    Vernon Davis
    Best young LB corps in the league
    Justin and Aldon Smith
    Hard hitting safeties

These are legitimate strengths. I can see why the Niners are favored. We have our work cut out for us. I really hope our guys don't look at beating the Patriots as the culmination of a successful season. It will only matter if we can win in New Orleans on February 3.

We have great guys too -- Torrey, Ray Rice, a solidifying O Line, Q, Dennis Pitta, etc. But I think the odds makers and the media think the Niners' youth, strengths and versatility outweigh ours. I can see the arguments in our favor and I can see the arguments in theirs. I just hope we can come out on top.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    The public perception is the Ravens can't score, thanks to 12 years of the media describing them as "Trent Dilfer and 5 weeks without an offensive touchdown." Plus a few years of "Joe Flacco sucks" and "all they do is hand off to Ray Rice" and... you get the picture.

Once that's ingrained, no amount of evidence will change people's minds. The average American probably spits his drink when he sees a Raven touchdown pass.

Until Joe Flacco becomes a top five fantasy QB, the public will never buy in to the Ravens as a whole, nor to Flacco's ability to run the offense. Most fans can no longer understand what makes a successful NFL football team anymore. They only understand fantasy points. The Ravens (outside of Rice) don't generate a ton of them, therefore........ they must suck. Or so the "thinking" appears to go....
    Bingo!

I believe there was an oddsmaker quoted on BR.com saying something to the effect of "the Ravens ar e a good team, but they won't get the kind of respect from the public"

People also need to understand Vegas. Being a 4.5 underdog didn't mean that they necessarily think that they think the Niners will win. They are looking at it from the perspective that they want even money on both sides, and that they feel the public still doesn't quite trust the Ravens or Flacco. They are simply trying to get more people betting on the Ravens.

In two days the spread dropped to 3.5, which is a pretty big move in the first two days, which shows that people are putting their money on the Ravens. Wouldn't be surprised to see this drop down to just 2 or even a pick-em by next week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    People also need to understand Vegas. Being a 4.5 underdog didn't mean that they necessarily think that they think the Niners will win. They are looking at it from the perspective that they want even money on both sides, and that they feel the public still doesn't quite trust the Ravens or Flacco. They are simply trying to get more people betting on the Ravens.

In two days the spread dropped to 3.5, which is a pretty big move in the first two days, which shows that people are putting their money on the Ravens. Wouldn't be surprised to see this drop down to just 2 or even a pick-em by next week.
    Exactly. And looking at the last 12 Super Bowls, the underdog outright won 5 times out of 12 (to say nothing of covering the spread). A 5-7 record (with a worse ATS record) is almost as good as a coin flip.

The 49ers are very popular in Vegas. Same with the Raiders who are often favorites when they shouldn't be. Dallas and Pittsburgh are also teams that will constantly be Vegas favorites when they are not the better team.

The line has more to do with Joe Montana than Joe Flacco