Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Mangii: Ravens copied Pat's strategy

Quote Originally Posted by phacts View Post
    I think you are spot on with this, and I think this is what gives us a major advantage in the Super Bowl. Sure, San Francisco is a physical team, but because we are battle hardened from our yearly epic matches with the Steelers, we are ready to play that type of game and win.

The 49ers, on the other hand, are used to playing in the softer (IMO) NFC, so when they face us, I don't think they are ready for 4 quarters of violent smash mouth football.
    They play Seattle twice which is also a physical team now. Don't underestimate the entire NFC.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
    They play Seattle twice which is also a physical team now. Don't underestimate the entire NFC.
    Rams and Cards also had very physical defenses this year. That's a tough division

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Rams and Cards also had very physical defenses this year. That's a tough division
    Agreed, they play pretty good D across the board in that division. The 49ers are prepared for the Ravens in terms of toughness. It's going to be all about who executes better.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Oh man. I know that story well.

One of the Allies worse mistakes in history. A lot of Aussies go there every year.

Mel Gibson made a movie about it. Complete slaughter. I couldn't watch it.

We lost the Lexington air craft carrier at Coral Seal but it took out two Jap carriers. They were on the way to Australia.
    The Aussies at the time were greatly relieved the Japs were stopped and called it the turning point of the war for them.
    How quickly they forget.
    Eric Bogle wrote a great song about that battle: And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda. "...and when I looked at the place where me legs used to be/ I never knew there was worse things than dyin'...
    Here's a great version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg

Cool Re: Mangii: Ravens copied Pat's strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Raven View Post
    I dont blame him haha, because Ive never heard of it or learnt it during high school. Next time you see him, mention the Landing at Gallipoli (Turkey). That was the one where the Aussie soldiers were sent to the wrong beach and were annihilated by the enemy stationed at the top of the hill/cliff. Its quite similar to the American one if im not mistakened, its in various video games :P
    Aussie_Raven I knew about Gallipoli long before the movie came out (but I'm also an old Fart). Did you know that even with the Turks holding the high ground from the very beginning they still suffered more casualties than the Aussies did (still doesn't remove the fact that the landings were a disaster).

I dont blame him haha, because Ive never heard of it or learnt it during high school. Next time you see him, mention the Landing at Gallipoli (Turkey). That was the one where the Aussie soldiers were sent to the wrong beach and were annihilated by the enemy stationed at the top of the hill/cliff. Its quite similar to the American one if im not mistakened, its in various video games :P
    Wasn't just aussies sent there...

Typical Aussie - conveniently leaves out the kiwis when talking to others. ;) :p 'Tis all good - so long as you guys keep Russell Crowe off the +64 we're good. :p
    Self appointed Ravens SuperFan in the southern hemisphere/New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Wasn't just aussies sent there...

Typical Aussie - conveniently leaves out the kiwis when talking to others. ;) :p 'Tis all good - so long as you guys keep Russell Crowe off the +64 we're good. :p
    My apologies :P For the Americans here, it was the ANZACs - Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.

Also Gallipoli is similar to the American Landing of Omaha beach is it not? I think its called D-Day? I see it so many times in computer games.

My apologies :P For the Americans here, it was the ANZACs - Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.

Also Gallipoli is similar to the American Landing of Omaha beach is it not? I think its called D-Day? I see it so many times in computer games.
    Haha just razzin you mate.

BTW, what are your plans for Superbowl Monday? Not sure what state/territory you'r on, but from what I understand it'll be around 10:30am your side (if you're NSW)?

Had to take the day off work - could not miss this day (did the same for the AFCCG).

Blog Entries

Yea it was called D-Day, Operation Overlord and was very similar with 2 major differences.

1 - We won that battle but with heavy casualties about 10,000. Even the GErmans kept saying how can they keep coming. They keep coming and coming. The irony was the Germans
    really believed God was on their side and it was even inscribed on their belt buckles in
    German. The Longest Day movie brought out that point.

2 - They landed on the right beach.

The bad part came with our paratroopers dropped behind the lines, the 101st Airborne suffered 50% casualties. MOst of them were dead before they hit the ground. The LOngest Day aldo bears that out. The drops were made off target too so that might have been similar to your battle.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_died_on_D-Day
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-23-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Yea it was called D-Day, Operation Overlord and was very similar with 2 major differences.

1 - We won that battle but with heavy casualties about 10,000. Even the GErmans kept saying how can they keep coming. They keep coming and coming. The irony was the Germans
    really believed God was on their side and it was even inscribed on their belt buckles in
    German. The Longest Day movie brought out that point.

2 - They landed on the right beach.

The bad part came with our paratroopers dropped behind the lines, the 101st Airborne suffered 50% casualties. MOst of them were dead before they hit the ground. The LOngest Day aldo bears that out. The drops were made off target too so that might have been similar to your battle.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_died_on_D-Day
    From what I understand; Gallipoli - the Brits had the "genius" idea of sending ANZACS into (literally) an uphill fight with an entrenched side. To make it worse, they had the navy shelling indiscriminately at anything resulting in friendlies casualties.

Blog Entries

Yes. It was a worse up hill fight than the Little Round Top at Gettysburgh.
    High ground will win it every time plus the friendly fire.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Haha just razzin you mate.

BTW, what are your plans for Superbowl Monday? Not sure what state/territory you'r on, but from what I understand it'll be around 10:30am your side (if you're NSW)?

Had to take the day off work - could not miss this day (did the same for the AFCCG).
    I live in Sydney so it will be 10:30am. Luckily I am on my Uni break so I will be at home chilling. Hopefully for the both of us, it will be more than just a normal ordinary day :)