Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: The Ravens have not drafted as bad as thought.

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I've been a little surprised by Upshaw's sudden disappearance. He only played 14 (of 83) snaps on Sunday, and 26 (of 94) the week before. Down the stretch he was playing quite a bit more (at least half the snaps until the Colts game). I imagine that Kruger is taking his snaps, and I wonder if this switch shows how much Oz values Kruger or if they're simply trying to squeeze value from him in his final games under contract (not to mention a myriad of other possibilities including injury, better matchup, etc.).
    kruger brings more in coverage than upshaw, and now kruger is finally setting the edges like he's supposed to, you notice how teams can't run around us anymore? they are killing us up the gut now with Cody not being able to shed blocks and kemo fat ass sucking wind every play. Ngata gets doubled and these guys can't take advantage of their one on one matchups, Jones is the only one that makes noise in that rotation. Don't know what happen to Cody.

[QUOTE=leachisabeast;567364]

08 Rice- Flacco, and Jameel McClain
    Rice and Flacco are elite players, and this 08 draft was very much like the 96 draft where we picked two players who are going to be a huge part of the Ravens for decades to come. Jameel McClain has at least been a decent conrtibutor. We also had solid depth for a few years from Zibby at S.
    [QUOTE=leachisabeast;567364]

IIRC JamMac was an UDFA. Two safeties as a rookie, mostly playing special teams. Great pickup.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    IIRC JamMac was an UDFA. Two safeties as a rookie, mostly playing special teams. Great pickup.
    well yeah, but UDFAs should count as "end of 7th round" draft picks really...You still make the committment to bring them in and groom them.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I would add Dickson to the 2010 draft. He's a solid contributor when healthy. Sergio Kindle was a beast in college. No one could predict that Kindle would fall down the steps and literally break his head. Harewood in the 7th round is intriguing even if it's only for OLine depth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I've been a little surprised by Upshaw's sudden disappearance. He only played 14 (of 83) snaps on Sunday, and 26 (of 94) the week before. Down the stretch he was playing quite a bit more (at least half the snaps until the Colts game). I imagine that Kruger is taking his snaps, and I wonder if this switch shows how much Oz values Kruger or if they're simply trying to squeeze value from him in his final games under contract (not to mention a myriad of other possibilities including injury, better matchup, etc.).
    Upshaw is a run defender. From my understanding he brings little as a pass rusher at this point, and obviously isn't a cover guy. I am guessing that his lack of playing time has to do with playing against two pass oriented, no huddle offenses the past two weeks. Remember that at the rate Brady runs plays, subbing players is very difficult.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Upshaw is a run defender. From my understanding he brings little as a pass rusher at this point, and obviously isn't a cover guy. I am guessing that his lack of playing time has to do with playing against two pass oriented, no huddle offenses the past two weeks. Remember that at the rate Brady runs plays, subbing players is very difficult.
    I expect to see more Upshaw in the Superbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Corey Graham has been absolutely killing it this year. I love the fact that Oz was able to sign him. Hopefully we can get a long term deal worked out.
    Great thing about this is we have Graham next year at a relative steal for the level he is playing at... I wouldn't be opposed to locking him up longer term with some extra $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Upshaw has shown some ability to rush and penetrate when asked to do so. I think he's just not being utilized for that very much.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    well yeah, but UDFAs should count as "end of 7th round" draft picks really...You still make the committment to bring them in and groom them.
    sure, Ozzie gets credit for acquiring him.
    I bet 10-20% of that draft class is out of the league and he's still a big part of the team!
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I expect to see more Upshaw in the Superbowl.
    Yeah this is the matchup where you need Upshaw moreso than Kruger. Set that edge and maintain your discipline.

11. Re: The Ravens have not drafted as bad as thought.

With a salary cap, it's impossible to be elite at every position on the field, unless EVERYONE on your team wants to play for less just to be on your team. As far as I know, that's not the case in the NFL. So it's not a matter of acquiring the best player at every position. It's about getting value for your dollar. When it comes to the big name FAs, it's really hard to get value. You certainly need to mix in a few of these guys on your team. But with these guys, you pretty much get what you pay for, not much more, and not much less. Where you really get value is with the younger guys, either in the draft, or acquiring them off the scrap heap like Ozzie does so well. You get 6-7 guys on your team who are starters who play like they're worth millions, but actually cost you either their rookie contract, or something much less than what you paid for them in free agency. Suddenly you have the cap space to resign your young guys when they play out their rookie contracts, or to go out and make a splash in free agency.

Look at a guy like Justin Tucker. What are we paying him? I can't imagine it's much. But his worth is probably something along the lines of what we were paying our last kicker, if not more.

This is why talent evaluation is, in my opinion, the most important element of building a team to last, moreso than picking the right coaches (though that's important too). Even the strategy of drafting the best available player helps build value. You bring as much value as you can into the organization by drafting the best player, even if it's at a position you're already strong at, because what you're going to pay the 32nd pick in the draft, for example (see what I did there?), is going to be pretty much constant no matter who it is you draft. It gives you the flexibility to let the previous holders of those starting jobs go, let some other team pay them exactly what they're worth, and you're left with underpaying your young guy for what he's contributing to your team.

Essentially, since everyone is going to be paying the same salary as a whole for their team, the best teams are the ones who get the most value for those constant dollars.

Blog Entries

I don't get the thread's title because I thought Ozzie had the greatest drafts except for the 04 draft with Edwards.

HARBs gets to the SB because of all the great talent Ozzie gave him. He's just a couple of dropped balls and a bad FG
    from a couple more SBs. Even the last draft and drafting 29th is great with Upshaw, Pierce and KO
    and Gino ready to take over for Birk next year. He did well in that throw away game in Cinci.

Ozzie even did great drafting last after the last SB getting Heap, Hartwell and Rabach and Baxter whom PHil to
    to Cleveland with him and Ozzie will get someone good this year after drafting last again, or next to it.

HARBs fell into a gold mine like Earl Weaver did with the Os for 17 years. For anyone to say it's better drafting than he
    thought, well, I just don't get it. Just think how well HARBs would have done in Buffalo the last 5 years. Hell, he
    wouldn't have made it past his third year there.