Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    It's hardly a gimmick. Read options have been around for a while, just nobody bother to use them.

Re: how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's hardly a gimmick. Read options have been around for a while, just nobody bother to use them.
    It's a gimmick offense in the PRO's. Ravens faced it already vs Washington or a variation that is actually more complicated with a faster runner and a better passer with RGIII. This helps the Ravens alot. Already seen it with 2 weeks to prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I have to be honest, this is the team in the playoffs that I feared the most. The Ravens have a tough mentality and play physical, and they can beat up on finesse teams. But San Fran are a physical team that likes to mix it up and I think their general level of physical talent is a notch above the Ravens. I'm concerned in particular about the niner run game, they've got an excellent OL and the Ravens have shown this season that they can be run on.
    So now your worried about the ravens level of physicality?? We've got a PHD in this field earned from having to play the steelers twice a year. The niners have barely earned their bachelor's degree

The first few times Kaepernick hands it off, Ngata clobbers him.....everytime he hands off or runs you hit him, and hit him hard. We are a physical team.....it gives us a chance to be more physical.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

question: If you look at the teams the 49ers played after Kaep became starter and compare them to who the Ravens had to play during that time period, who do you think is more tested right now?

iggyman555 Guest

we need to take the lead, not bs through the first quarter running 10/12 times on first down and then going wild in the second half. we need to keep the pedal to the metal and score and force kap to throw the ball. im 100% sure our D wont fold like the falcons

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Funny as hell, find that couch.
    This D will be ready for the pistol. Hit hard, the Raven way, and tackle Gore.

The question is , can that pistol, out score a Flacco Cannon?

I like the cannon!!

SF had the 24th hardest schedule this year. We had the 5th.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    Funny as hell, find that couch.
    This D will be ready for the pistol. Hit hard, the Raven way, and tackle Gore.

The question is , can that pistol, out score a Flacco Cannon?

I like the cannon!!
    Nope.

Ravens might be out-numbered but they are never out-gunned.

:ww:

Blog Entries

just finished watching some 9ner game footage. Just at first glance i would say the obvious, play contain with the outside linebackers. But what i would add to this is bringing up the corners particularly when they come out in these two back sets. What cant be overstated is how well their o line is playing in space. their guards really get a hat on a head with down field blocking.

Lets be pro active rather than reactive to this read option crap by blitzing a nickel.
    This might sound crazy but i would like to see them bring the strong safety in the box to play press, then blitz Jimmy Smith from the slot every now and again. i haven't watched nearly enough film on Kapernick but i see him making a lot of passes on crossing routes and comebacks. Routes where guys are partially or fully squared up on the ball. i want to see his receivers forced into making over the shoulder/head receptions in man coverage with one deep safety.

If the Ravens can jump out to an early lead and force the 9ers into obvious passing situations, it would go a long way to neutralizing the read option. Easier said than done, however.

Just wanted to bring this thread back up. I feel like we should be analyzing their offense more. I think our offense just needs to do what they do against their defense, but where we really need our masterminds focusing their attention during the lead-up to this game is how do we stop that Pistol offense with their read-option. I don't think it's unstoppable, but I'm curious about more ideas for stopping it. I keep reading 49ers fans say that what the Seahawks did to stop them won't work again because the real reason their offense stalled in that game was due to fatigue from the previous week. Anybody buy that?