Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I don't want to underestimate the 49ers and will likely be nervous Super Bowl Sunday, but I just have a hard time believing that a rested Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata and Benard Pollard, with two weeks or preparation, are going to get handled by a pistol offense.
    Joe gets two more weeks to work with Caldwell, who only took over 5-6 weeks ago. Can't tell me that Caldwell has more work to do with the offense and Joe. Ray and company have motivation coming from Ray retiring and the medias ideas that the Ravens will lose all the time. Ravens have made the media look sorry and uninformed. Next year ,some of the media need to get replaced, they are doing football fans a disservice by not reporting onwhats is really going on in football.
    I think it will be a good game in the first half. Second half so be like the pats game. Joe take the gas out ofthe 9er defense and Ravens defense finishes strong.

Blog Entries

Trent Dilfer seems to think the pistol is the greatest thing to hit football since the forward pass.

Blog Entries

The redskins play the pistol as well. Granted they beat us but we certainly able to win that game. Kaepernick vs rg3 im not sure i see much of a difference. I think using that game plus tape on the 49ers will make our defense better prepared. I think with two weeks to prepare well likely figure something out.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    With a week's rest Sizzle, Ngata and Lewis should be ready to go.......
    IMO, this is gonna help our defense immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I don't want to underestimate the 49ers and will likely be nervous Super Bowl Sunday, but I just have a hard time believing that a rested Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata and Benard Pollard, with two weeks or preparation, are going to get handled by a pistol offense.
    This.

Now Jim is a smart man and will add more plays, but as is I expect the Ravens to know the 9ers play book as well as they do.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

I have to be honest, this is the team in the playoffs that I feared the most. The Ravens have a tough mentality and play physical, and they can beat up on finesse teams. But San Fran are a physical team that likes to mix it up and I think their general level of physical talent is a notch above the Ravens. I'm concerned in particular about the niner run game, they've got an excellent OL and the Ravens have shown this season that they can be run on.

Blog Entries

san fran run game scares me we cannpt stop the run this season, if we stop the run we gotta force kap to pass, I know itsa pick your poison deal but I rather play the run. The niners and ravens are mirror images of each other both physical teams who hit hard and play solid with little mistakes, they can also over come advsersity. Tough match up here, there talent on the defensive side is above ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I have to be honest, this is the team in the playoffs that I feared the most. The Ravens have a tough mentality and play physical, and they can beat up on finesse teams. But San Fran are a physical team that likes to mix it up and I think their general level of physical talent is a notch above the Ravens. I'm concerned in particular about the niner run game, they've got an excellent OL and the Ravens have shown this season that they can be run on.
    The Ravens have also shown recently that the regular season stats are irrelavent. The defense is pretty healthy, intact and stacked at every level. Cody and the NT spot may not have looked good, but Nagta, McPhee and Jones have been playing well up front. Ellerbe has been playing hurt but still been explosive. Ray Lewis is Ray Lewis. Suggs is looking healthier, Kruger is hot. Upshaw provides depth now outside. Reed is willing to hit, Pollard is hitting like Ray Lewis used to. Williams and Grahm have been very solid recently and Brown and Smith have had solid games when teams had in extra wrs. Defense has always been more about players than schemes, guys that get off blocks and make tackles can make any scheme work.

As far as the pistol or any kind of option look, the how to questions seem like highschool math and coaching schemes. It has been the blocking and bad tackling that let SF run thier way to the SB with thier QB.

If the guy who the offense turns loose attacks the QB with the ferocity of Clowney on that poor rb from Michagan, they are not going to run it again all day, I promise you. I love football now the way I do because of freshman year football practicing defense vs the option. The coaches just telling me it is my job to hit the QB as hard as can and the offense is not even going to try to block me. Are you kidding me? It seemed like the worst scheme you could draw up. The QB did not ever get right up after those collisions. The coaches told me that the only time they want me to tackle the dive man is if I take the QB with me, which I pretty much was able to do any time an opposing team was foolish enough to run options to my side and leave me unblocked. Obviously not everyone plays it that way, and the optioned guy often just stands there and does exactly what the offense wants you to do, or they take the bait and QB walks around the corner for a big gain. If you do not take advantage of the free shot they are giving you, on the starting QB, the franchise, and do not make him pay a heavy price the first time and every time he runs at an unblocked guy, and you do not take it, then you do not deserve to be in the SB or to win it.

I think the Ravens will be ready to defend the sprint option or any scheme you can dream up, because right now they are very hard to block, and they are tackling like Ray Lewis would tackle, pretty much every time recently.

SF does have an awesome offense though so this is going to be quite a challenge. I think it will be a much more conventional attack though, power run, playaction with them hoping to only have the QB run on scrambles.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Yes that's what I was trying to state earlier, the biggest threat is the power run game, which they use to feed the zone/read. They're going to bring in unbalanced lines and play power football and if we stack the box they'll use play action. Not that the Ravens won't do similar just not as much on the power runs.

May just have to outscore them

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?
    553047_10101631407642809_1113152323_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hilarious

Good things are Ravens have 2 weeks to prepare for it, no team has had that advantage. Ravens have seen gimmick offenses before that have not worked. Ravens also have 4 really SMART football players on defense in Reed, Pollard, Lewis and Suggs that the 49ers havent seen. Hold gaps and make CK beat you with his arm..not his legs. SF hasnt played a defense like the Ravens have now and with time to prepare.