Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 13141516 LastLast
  1. Re: how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    Yea thats it.
    NE was only labeled a "finesse" team after we beat them. Before that everyone was talking about how they were going to run on us.

I'm not sure that's accurate. I mean New England is a finesse team. That's what they are. They found a running game but they were still a finesse team.

That's what they've been the last few years. The scouting report on them has always been to jam the receivers, be physical at the line of scrimmage, etc.

I'm not sure if because some media people said they were gonna run, then that all of a sudden makes them a smashmouth team. They still threw it 54 times.

2. Re: how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Just like how Denver's defense was the best in the league and Champ was going to shutdown Torrey. Then, after the Ravens won, Denver's defense and secondary are horrible and Champ bailey should retire.

We all knew that was bullshit though. I don't think that anybody outside of Denver thought they really had the best d in the league. I mean when you have six games against the Chargers, Chiefs, and Raiders your d should have good numbers.

I was rooting for the Ravens hard in that game. Just because the media was slurping the Broncos every chance they got.

3. Re: how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    NEs front 7 is hardly finesse..

I can't think of a lot of teams that play "finesse defense" on the front end.

I feel like that would counter-intuitive to playing defense.

But when you think NE, you're not thinking "How do we contain their front seven?"

Re: how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?

Quote Originally Posted by Questforsix View Post
    We all knew that was bullshit though. I don't think that anybody outside of Denver thought they really had the best d in the league. I mean when you have six games against the Chargers, Chiefs, and Raiders your d should have good numbers.

I was rooting for the Ravens hard in that game. Just because the media was slurping the Broncos every chance they got.

So since the 49ers played Arizona and St Louis twice, the Jets, Buffalo, New Orleans and Miami this year......what conclusions do you draw from that?
    Way Down South in New Orleans

5. Re: how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    So since the 49ers played Arizona and St Louis twice, the Jets, Buffalo, New Orleans and Miami this year......what conclusions do you draw from that?
    As it pertains to what?

Ah! Ok I see what you're saying. I mean look, it's about the eye test at the end of the day. If you play in a shit division, you're gonna have good stats defensively.

When I watch Denver I don't see a stout defensive unit. They have speed but I wouldn't put them in the same category as the Niners, Seahawks, or Ravens.
    Last edited by Questforsix; 01-26-2013 at 02:47 PM.

6. Re: how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    So the Broncos are a "finesse" team? And the Pittsburgh Steelers are a "finesse" team? Also, the Bengals with the 6th ranked defense are a "finesse" team? The Ravens play in the AFC North. They are used to playing tough physical defenses.
    My bad dude. I meant in the playoffs. Should have specified. But yea. I would categorize the Broncos as finesse for sure.

Blog Entries

Hey what's up! This is the basically the gist of what I'm saying. I'll try to keep it reasonable in length.

Both our teams are in very similar positions. We've both faced finesse teams up to this point and this will be the most physical match-up for both teams.

By reading a lot of the comments in this thread it doesn't look like a whole lot of you have watched CK work this year. I don't really hold that against you. The kid's only had 9 starts.

It's not gonna be as easy as. "Just hit him" or "Take away the run". That's not gonna get it done.

In fact that's probably playing right into Jimmy's hands.
    While I agree that San Fransisco's overall defense is better than Denver's, Denver definitely had one of, if not thee best pass rush in the league.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

8. Re: how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    While I agree that San Fransisco's overall defense is better than Denver's, Denver definitely had one of, if not thee best pass rush in the league.
    I dont feel like that's anything new. They've had a nice pass rush for a couple years now.

Even before Von Miller got there Dumervil was lighting people up.

Blog Entries

Oh man. Nervous doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. Good thing I'm not on the team though.

As for coming to your board. I like to go to opponents boards to get a feel for how their fans feel about the game. I've done it all year. These teams are so evenly matched that it has to make for some pretty good debates.

It should be a tight game.
    If you want the purest vibe of this message board (Not the entire fanbase, just this message board, which is a pretty good well-informed message board), here it is:

Ravens on offense, 49ers on defense:

If Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis could not get pressure on Flacco, if Elvis Dummervil and Von Miller could not get pressure on Joe Flacco, we are having a hard time seeing how San Fransisco will get pressure on Flacco, especially without blitzing, and from what we have seen from Joe, he does very well against the blitz. The only blitz that could be temporarily effective against Joe is the safety blitz, but San Fran would have to make it count.

As for stopping the run, we expect San Fransisco to do a good job of that.

In the secondary, the 49ers can take their pick. They can double Torrey and let Boldin/Pitta beat them, or they can single up and let Torrey beat them deep.

If you are judging this offense, based off of what you saw with Cam Cameron as the offensive coordinator, you will be disappointed.

49ers on offense, Ravens on defense:

We're not focusing on Colin Kaepernick. We are focusing on Frank Gore. If you are focusing on what Washington was able to do to this defense, missing I don't know how many starters, you will be disappointed.

The Ravens are going to try to stop Frank Gore, and jam the WRs. They are not going to focus all of their attention to Colin Kaepernick. They are going to try to take away the weapons around him, and if he can score 30 points on his own, more power to him. We think that Kaepernick can make some big plays, but not for a full four quarters against this defense. The Ravens will focus on taking away the other weapons, and keeping contain. If he runs, he'll have to get hit.

The Ravens will try to use Suggs to jam Davis and throw the timing off.

The idea of the pistol presents a numbers game, but that does not take into account how many Ravens defenders require a double team. You have Ngata in the middle and Suggs on the edge.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Communication

I heard Ray say in one of his pressers that teams like GB and ATL failed to properly communicate with each other leaving each man essentially on an island.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...5-e155b9445cff

“They’re doing a good job with it,” he said. “But when you do watch the film, a lot of the people who’ve played against it didn’t communicate at all. One thing we do, we communicate very well.”

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    If you want the purest vibe of this message board (Not the entire fanbase, just this message board, which is a pretty good well-informed message board), here it is:

Ravens on offense, 49ers on defense:

If Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis could not get pressure on Flacco, if Elvis Dummervil and Von Miller could not get pressure on Joe Flacco, we are having a hard time seeing how San Fransisco will get pressure on Flacco, especially without blitzing, and from what we have seen from Joe, he does very well against the blitz. The only blitz that could be temporarily effective against Joe is the safety blitz, but San Fran would have to make it count.

As for stopping the run, we expect San Fransisco to do a good job of that.

In the secondary, the 49ers can take their pick. They can double Torrey and let Boldin/Pitta beat them, or they can single up and let Torrey beat them deep.

If you are judging this offense, based off of what you saw with Cam Cameron as the offensive coordinator, you will be disappointed.

49ers on offense, Ravens on defense:

We're not focusing on Colin Kaepernick. We are focusing on Frank Gore. If you are focusing on what Washington was able to do to this defense, missing I don't know how many starters, you will be disappointed.

The Ravens are going to try to stop Frank Gore, and jam the WRs. They are not going to focus all of their attention to Colin Kaepernick. They are going to try to take away the weapons around him, and if he can score 30 points on his own, more power to him. We think that Kaepernick can make some big plays, but not for a full four quarters against this defense. The Ravens will focus on taking away the other weapons, and keeping contain. If he runs, he'll have to get hit.

The Ravens will try to use Suggs to jam Davis and throw the timing off.

The idea of the pistol presents a numbers game, but that does not take into account how many Ravens defenders require a double team. You have Ngata in the middle and Suggs on the edge.
    Nailed it.

If they put Suggs on Davis and not concentrate on sealing what ever edge he lines up on, we're fucked.

No way Suggs can keep up with Davis' speed and we're going to need him on containment / rushing the point of exchange between Gore and CK.