Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee414 View Post
    Actually, I see Ngata, Suggs and Upshaw as the keys to this game for the Ravens. As Haloti92 & JeremiahW pointed out, the issue becomes edge discipline and inside physicality. Ngata/Kemo/Cody MUST account for Gore on EVERY play, and Upshaw and Suggs MUST maintain the edge on Kaepernick. He seems quick and fast enough that a momentary slip-up by our edge guys could equal a big gain for CK7. I actually see Upshaw as less of a liability than Suggs due to, a) he's seen similar O's as recently as last year, and b) Suggs is still not close to 100%.
    I think Upshaw will be a huge factor in this game. He's been great in the run game.

From PFF:

– Rookie outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw has a Run Stop Percentage of 9.8%, which is the second-best for 3-4 outside linebackers this year.

I'd fear the Falcon's WRs vs the 49ers. They have Crabtree (yawn) and an under-utilized Vernon Davis. Stack the box and send blitzes from all angles. IMO, we match up much better with 49ers.

If he runs the read option whether he keeps it or pitches it hit him. He would be a runner and not subject to roughing calls. Beat him up enough and it slow him down. Or see his reaction if Pollard is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by rla20cpa View Post
    I'd fear the Falcon's WRs vs the 49ers. They have Crabtree (yawn) and an under-utilized Vernon Davis. Stack the box and send blitzes from all angles. IMO, we match up much better with 49ers.
    I was worried about the Falcons WR's. They can strike quick. Would rather see the 49ers.

Blog Entries

The problem I have with the "Just nail Kaepernick if he runs" school of thinking is that Kaepernick is so speedy that you may not get a shot on him at all. Either he runs out of bounds like he did in Atlanta or he runs right by you as he did against the Packers. I don't think you can gamble that 1 or 2 good shots will stop him from running. When I have seen him, I haven't seen him be reckless (like RGIII) and exposing himself to big hits. He's been fairly smart about when to run, when to pitch it, when to throw and how to protect himself.

I think we have to do better than that. The key would be to set the edge and maintain the pocket with Suggs, Ngata, Upshaw and Cody/Kemo. That's easier said than done. That would probably mean minimum 3 yard runs for Gore every time and very little pass rush. But it might be enough to contain Kaepernick. The problem comes if we have to commit more than 4 or 5 to this strategy. That will open up space for Kaepernick, Davis, Crabtree, etc.

It's a little bit of pick your poison -- which means that on defense we have to mitigate the damage (knowing full well they will get their yards) and to have the offense continue to perform well.

I actually watched a good bit of CK7 when he was at Nevada, and he was, at times, scary good then. The Wolf Pack just didn't have the supporting cast to help push him to a household name. (Plus, when did ESPN, etc... EVER give a rat's ass about Nevada football?). I just don't think the Ravens will get a lot of "good hits" on him in the SB, certainly not enough to make him kick you with his Uggs.
    Contrary to what seem to be the majority, I would have rather faced ATL. The Elite, Omnipotent, Non-Stinky Farting Matty IceCold doesn't concern me NEAR as much as Kaepernick.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Blog Entries

Meh let Pollard lose on him a couple times. By the second half kaep won't wanna run, Gore wont want to, the receivers won't want to catch. Just like in the NE game.

Kaepernick is scary. Our linebacking corp is probably the weakest link on this team. Kruger can't play the run to save his life, Ray just gets embarrassed sometimes. We played NE and DEN 85% of the time in the Nickel. You can't do that against a run heavy team...

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Kaepernick is scary. Our linebacking corp is probably the weakest link on this team. Kruger can't play the run to save his life, Ray just gets embarrassed sometimes. We played NE and DEN 85% of the time in the Nickel. You can't do that against a run heavy team...
    Limit them to FGs in the red zone and a lot of the problem goes away. For the most part they have put up 28 or so with Kaepernick......and that was against teams that were not nearly the Ravens caliber. We are deeper on the DL than they are.....
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Best case scenario is we jump out to an early 14 point lead somehow and force them to play catch up on Kaepernick's arm, that way, Ed can be Ed and set a few super bowl INT return yard records ;)

... I can dream, right?

We can't stop this Godly offense. It was placed on Earth to be unstoppable/ Kaepernick being the chosen one.

THe Ravens turning up will be a waste. I am writing a letter to the FO now. Kaepernick will teleport to the endzone every play. Just watch.

*I have not been brainwashed by 49er fans and the media alike. This is my real opinion.............

(save me!)
    Self appointed Ravens SuperFan in the southern hemisphere/New Zealand.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    We can't stop this Godly offense. It was placed on Earth to be unstoppable/ Kaepernick being the chosen one.

THe Ravens turning up will be a waste. I am writing a letter to the FO now. Kaepernick will teleport to the endzone every play. Just watch.

*I have not been brainwashed by 49er fans and the media alike. This is my real opinion.............

(save me!)
    +1

All I've been hearing all post season is how X QB is going to shred the Ravens defense. Starting with Andrew Luck. Then, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

I think Kaep has done some great things and he's a big threat to run and pass, but lets be real for a second. This will be his 10th start against a defense that beat two hall of fame QB's back to back and forced them to throw 4 picks in 2 games. And a defense that just shut out the supposedly best offense in the NFL in the second half. I think Kapernick will get some yards and put up some points, but we happen to have a red hot QB in Flacco with the best deep ball in the league that will be playing in a dome with no wind against a questionable secondary that got torched by noodle arm Matty Ice.