Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens and Caldwell agree to deal for permanent OC/Also hired Juan Castillo.

I wonder if he comes out of the booth next year or if he stays up there

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens and Caldwell agree to deal for permanent OC/Also hired Juan Castillo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Caldwell is more of an offensive mind than we think, call be bat shit crazy but something tells me Joe Flacco and Jim Caldwell are going to make NFL history, something tells me they're are going to infuse a new type of offense something we have never seen before, maybe I'm just bullshitting myself but i think these two are destined for greatness. Juan Castillo this was long over due time for that drunk Moeller to go.
    Agreed man, great post.

I think we could be on the cusp of greatness on offense. An offense that can beat you in every facets of the game, especially going verticle. Pretty soon teams are going to have to send so many DB's deep because of our verticle attack, but then that opens up the run game and the short passes to Boldin and Pitta. So I think DC's are going to have a really really tough time defending our offense in the future. But here are some of the things that need to happen IMO.

1) The offensive line is key to our success and must be maintained in the offseason to the level it has shown in the post season. Does that mean re sign McKinnie to a 1 year deal while we get a developmental athletic LT? I wouldn't be against that at all. Our offensive line has been nothing short of dominant in the play offs.

2) Totally split the carries between Rice and Pierce. Use Pierce in a traditional RB role in a zone system, Rice can be used in the shotgun/spread formations or in the passing game.

3) Get a blocking TE, and an explosive TE to compliment Pitta.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    I wonder if he comes out of the booth next year or if he stays up there
    He's going to get to install his system so he probably won't need to be up in the booth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Caldwell is more of an offensive mind than we think, call be bat shit crazy but something tells me Joe Flacco and Jim Caldwell are going to make NFL history, something tells me they're are going to infuse a new type of offense something we have never seen before, maybe I'm just bullshitting myself but i think these two are destined for greatness. Juan Castillo this was long over due time for that drunk Moeller to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Agreed man, great post.

I think we could be on the cusp of greatness on offense. An offense that can beat you in every facets of the game, especially going verticle. Pretty soon teams are going to have to send so many DB's deep because of our verticle attack, but then that opens up the run game and the short passes to Boldin and Pitta. So I think DC's are going to have a really really tough time defending our offense in the future. But here are some of the things that need to happen IMO.

1) The offensive line is key to our success and must be maintained in the offseason to the level it has shown in the post season. Does that mean re sign McKinnie to a 1 year deal while we get a developmental athletic LT? I wouldn't be against that at all. Our offensive line has been nothing short of dominant in the play offs.

2) Totally split the carries between Rice and Pierce. Use Pierce in a traditional RB role in a zone system, Rice can be used in the shotgun/spread formations or in the passing game.

Agreed on both posts. I was very excited when we brought Caldwell in here as a QB coach. Then, I was even more excited when they finally canned Cameron and gave the job to Caldwell. He is a very very underrated coach. People just assume that Manning ran the show and Caldwell was just there which is completely false. Just look at the article I posted above. I can't wait to see what Caldwell and Joe can do with a full offseason to work together.

Blog Entries

I'm excited about Castillo. He had some great O-lines in Philly. Then Reid switched him to defense where he flopped but
    some thought that was a Reid setup for Castillo to take the fall. Who knows but I posted after the last regular season
    game that HARBs was talking to him and many thought he was going to KC to re-join Reid but why would he after what Reid did to him.

So he signs with HARBs in a great move for us. The guys on my thread really wanted Castillo.

Caldwell too.

Wow this is all terrific news!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He's going to get to install his system so he probably won't need to be up in the booth.
    I can't imagine he'd scrap the entire system that is in place now. He's done an excellent job tweaking what we have and making it work.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Agreed man, great post.

I really hope they leave the offensive line as is with the exception of maybe replacing McKinnie at LT. Osmele has a ton of upside as a guard. WIth Gino most likely playing Center it would help to have two strong guards. Oher settled in at RT. I am ok with bringing McKinnie back for a year just don't know if that bridge was completely burned.

I am guessing they cut Leach in the off season. I am hoping to see more of a blocking TE with some receiving ability used as an H-Back. Ravens were successfully using Pitta as an H-Back some yesterday. Would like to see them expand on that. Undrafted Free agent bruising Full back the rare occasions they need one.

I think an entire off season with Caldwell will do wonders for the offense. He has done some really nice things that helped kick start the offense. Getting Joe moving around the pocket. Going through his progressions better. He was looking off defenders yesterday. Things he did not do much of with Cam.

Blog Entries

Booth vs non booth was a debate I read about when Caldwell took over...It's not all about his system vs others' system...

Some guys preferred to be on the field because they could talk directly to the QB. As it is, Caldwell is NOT allowed to speak to Joe during the game. He can talk to another coach (Hostler), who then relays the info to Joe, or vice versa.

On the other hand, up in the booth, you have more of an objective eye on the opposing D. Can easily see patterns, opportunities. Also, less distraction from players on the bench.

I'd wager that Caldwell stays in the booth. Why fix what isn't broken? As long as Joe has a nice calm ear to relay back and forth with, let Caldwell keep playing the chess match up in the booth.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Awesome news! Caldwell has earned the promotion, and I am also excited to hear that Castillo will be joining him.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Great to hear about Caldwell and Castillo. Love that article. Shows that Caldwell is definitely a guy that is very much a strong offensive mind. But Cams was thought to be good with X and O's as well. A big difference is that Caldwell seems to really try to showcase the strengths of his guys rather than forcing guys to do things they may not be as good in. He lets Flacco go deep and makes sure Boldin get in the middle and also to the outside to keep defenses honest. He also in the Pats game had Torrey go across the middle for a nice wide open 10+ yard gain. He also has shown a great ability to adapt and adjust in the game. The offense has been very strong in the second half and to me that is a sign of adjusting the offense. It also shows that they have a gameplan in the 1st half that also may help to exploit weaknesses or wear down defenses in the second half. While the Bengals game was like a preseason game with most of starters out, I also liked how he tailored a lot of plays to Tyrod's abilities to also run and/or pass on the move. If we had an elite run QB like Kaepernick or RG3, I feel he would design an offense to take advantage of their legs as well.

Go back and read the hilarious game thread from the AFCCG. Up until mid 3rd qtr, a bunch of folks were saying Caldwell was worse than Cam. Seriously, there is a bunch of funny stuff on that thread, from I knew we'd lose, to blow the whole team up, fire Harbs, Q is worthless, ect.... Great for laughs, and makes me wonder if these guys even enjoyed the game.

The game thread from the week before is just as funny.
    Last edited by RavenusMaximus; 01-21-2013 at 08:43 PM.