Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens and Caldwell agree to deal for permanent OC/Also hired Juan Castillo.

Caldwell has agreed to be the OC for the forseeable future.

Castillo hired as a consultant (joining this week).

It is probable that Castillo will take over as the OL coach next year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens and Caldwell agree to deal for permanent OC/Also hired Juan Castillo.

Great news! I was hoping we'd get Juan!

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens and Caldwell agree to deal for permanent OC/Also hired Juan Castillo.

Works for me!

Great. Now our offensive line will be running shadowing drills

Really happy to hear that Caldwell is coming back. I don't think he is a great offensive mind, but I believe that is a good thing. I think he is the type of guy that is comfortable putting the game in Joe's hands, and I think that is what's been needed for the past couple years. If we got some other big name coordinator like Norv, then we could have been facing the same issue we had with Cameron and trying to fir a square peg in a round hole.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Really happy to hear that Caldwell is coming back. I don't think he is a great offensive mind, but I believe that is a good thing. I think he is the type of guy that is comfortable putting the game in Joe's hands, and I think that is what's been needed for the past couple years. If we got some other big name coordinator like Norv, then we could have been facing the same issue we had with Cameron and trying to fir a square peg in a round hole.
    I think you are incorrect on your assumption that Caldwell isn't an offensive mind. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/21/sp...=tw-share&_r=0

Even more important, Caldwell had called for Flacco to throw the ball deep far more often than he had under Cameron. Brock Huard, a former N.F.L. quarterback who spent two seasons with Caldwell in Indianapolis, said the move made a lot of sense. Known as a coach who typically plays to his quarterbacks’ strengths, Caldwell wanted Flacco to showcase his spring-loaded arm.

“He’s a big-time talent down the field,” Huard said last week in a telephone interview. “Let him unload.”

When Huard joined the Colts as a backup in 2002, he felt confident walking into his first quarterbacks meeting with Manning and Caldwell. After spending the previous three seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, Huard had become proficient in the nuances of the West Coast offense — no easy feat. How difficult could it be to learn some new terminology? “I was thinking, I’ve got this whole thing licked,” Huard said.

He was mistaken, and he came to that realization within seconds of entering the room. Caldwell had covered every inch of several large whiteboards with opponents’ tendencies, plays for various downs and distances, routes, cuts, schemes, checks and reads. Caldwell’s penmanship was meticulous, Huard said, each formula and diagram etched with the steady hand of a surgeon. Huard found roughly 95 percent of it to be incomprehensible. After studying algebra, he had landed in a graduate-school seminar on thermodynamics.

“I remember calling my wife at minicamp and saying, ‘I can’t do this, this is crazy,’ ” Huard said. “There were actually times during the season when I was like, ‘Oh man, I hope Peyton doesn’t get hurt.’ Because what he and Jim were doing was so off-the-charts.”

Asked when he finally felt he had gotten up to speed, Huard said: “Never. That’s why I only lasted two years there.”

As far back as 1993, when Caldwell became the coach at Wake Forest, it was clear to his players that he refused to be wedded to a single offensive philosophy. Rusty LaRue, Caldwell’s first quarterback at the university, recalled that the coach was never complacent and always seeking advantages.

The first thing Caldwell did was scrap the team’s I-back scheme in favor of the spread. The next season, with his offense strengthened by one of the conference’s top running backs, he opted to keep the ball on the ground. Then, late in LaRue’s senior season, Caldwell opened things up again, letting LaRue throw the ball — and throw it some more. He completed an N.C.A.A.-record 55 passes in a game against Duke.

“Because that’s what Coach Caldwell thought it would take to win,” said LaRue, now an assistant basketball coach at Wake Forest. “He loves X’s and O’s, which is probably why he relates so well to quarterbacks. Most good quarterbacks, like Peyton and Flacco, have a really high IQ for the game, so they probably appreciate working with someone who has the same love for the nuances of an offense.”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I don't get the "not a great offensive mind" comment, not criticizing because I don't have a clue what that means.

Blog Entries

Wow this is fantastic news, another big kudos for Harbs and the front office. It'll be interesting to see what the offense looks like with an offseason to make adjustments.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Cool! I was getting annoyed with his runs up the middle on first down, but he seems to really understand what his players are capable of, and he can make adjustments as the game goes along. I've been very happy with his playcalling so far. And I'd be saying that even if Jacoby Jones didn't catch the mile high miracle.

Castillo is suppose to the run game coordinator next season

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Castillo is suppose to the run game coordinator next season
    bye bye moeller

Blog Entries

Caldwell is more of an offensive mind than we think, call be bat shit crazy but something tells me Joe Flacco and Jim Caldwell are going to make NFL history, something tells me they're are going to infuse a new type of offense something we have never seen before, maybe I'm just bullshitting myself but i think these two are destined for greatness. Juan Castillo this was long over due time for that drunk Moeller to go.