Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The eerie similarities between this season and the 2000 season.

While the makeup of the teams are rather different, there are some odd similarities in how the seasons played out and through the playoffs...

In 2000 we benched our starting QB during the season...in 2012 we fired our offensive coordinator.

In 2000 we endured a five game touchdown drought...in 2012 we endured a 3 game losing streak.

In 2000 we were the fourth seed...in 2012 we were the fourth seed.

In 2000 we defeated the Broncos easily at home in convincing fashion...in 2012 we did the same to the Colts.

In 2000 we faced the top seeded Titans in a game few thought we would win, and won the game with a pair of huge plays(Ray's int and Mitchell's blocked punt TD...In 2012 we defeated the top seeded Broncos, another game few thought we would win, with a pair of huge plays(Flacco's Bomb and Tucker's 47 yard boot).

In 2000 we faced the finesse Raiders team and dominated, with the game turning on a brutal hit(Sirgagusa's flop onto Gannon)...in 2012 we faced the finesse Patriots and dominated, with the game turning on another brutal hit(Pollard on Ridley).

In both years few picked us to win it all(but a few did), and in both years in the playoffs very few picked us in the divisional and championship games.

In both years we faced an NFC team that people seemed to get enamored with in the playoffs, despite our impressive runs.

Well, history will tell us how it plays out in two weeks...

Blog Entries

Re: The eerie similarities between this season and the 2000 season.

Yes, very similar circumstances, but I'd say the teams are very different. We are still a big tough, strong minded, physical team. But we have a lot more about us on offense, while our defense is just simply not as good. (Although you can easily make an argument that despite the mid range ranking in the regular season, we've played better D than we have for years in the post season).

We also compare favorably with the 05 Steelers, and the 06/2012 Giants.

3. Re: The eerie similarities between this season and the 2000 season.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    In 2000 we faced the top seeded Titans in a game few thought we would win, and won the game with a pair of huge plays(Ray's int and Mitchell's blocked punt TD).
    It was actually a blocked field goal (the second of the game by Keith Washington). Del Greco also missed a field goal on his own, exacerbating his misses in the Titans first loss at Adelphia (in the regular season he missed a field goal and an extra point in a game the Ravens went on to win 24-23).

Another interesting thing to note about that game: Dilfer had lost his playbook in the regular season win. He swears it was stolen, and the Titans knew pretty much every play they ran in the playoff game, yet still lost by 14.

One other similarity that is somewhat mentioned indirectly here: as the 4 seed in 2000, we played the 5, 1, then 2 seed; as the 4 seed in 2012, we played the 5, 1, then 2 seed. The Giants, however, were the #1 seed while the 49ers are the 2.

I agree with leach though. That team was terrible to watch on offense. This year's team has a suddenly exciting offense that scores all the time.

4. Re: The eerie similarities between this season and the 2000 season.

Oh, and in that divisional round game against the Titans, we had 2 punts blocked on our side of the field. The Titans scored 3 points off of them, mostly thanks to Del Greco missing field goals.

Needless to say, it was one of the weirder games I've ever seen.

Blog Entries

All I remember from that Titans game was Ray Lewis wrestling the ball from Eddie George's hands and juking his way into the endzone. Pure determination and physicality, which epitomized the way that defense played. This defense is not as good, but it is also pretty physical, and the offense more than compensates. This team is pretty much complete, whereas the 2000 team was a lopsided incongruity, the best D ever paired with one of the worst offenses to ever win a SB.

2000 and 2012 lost to Pittsburgh at home and Washington on the road. Also SF's Qb initials are CK and NYG QB's initials KC.

7. Re: The eerie similarities between this season and the 2000 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    All I remember from that Titans game was Ray Lewis wrestling the ball from Eddie George's hands and juking his way into the endzone. Pure determination and physicality, which epitomized the way that defense played. This defense is not as good, but it is also pretty physical, and the offense more than compensates. This team is pretty much complete, whereas the 2000 team was a lopsided incongruity, the best D ever paired with one of the worst offenses to ever win a SB.
    After rewatching, Corey Harris absolutely whiffs on a block. Hilariously bad. Like Ole Cousins bad (and then hits him when he's down for good measure).

You said it though: Ray was determined and wasn't about to be tackled by some big OL.

Yeah, I wrote this in another threadL

I'm not saying the D is (anywhere near) as good, but there are some other "interesting" similarities:

1. The last time the Redskins beat the Ravens was 2000 (both in Landover)

2. The 2000 Ravens won their first playoff game at home, as the 4 seed, then beat the #1 seed on the road and then beat the #2 seed in the AFCC.

3. The 2012 Ravens won their first playoff game at home, as the 4 seed, then beat the #1 seed on the road and then beat the #2 seed in the AFCC.

4. Both teams suffered 3-game losing streaks during the season.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Destiny! good shit!!!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Ravor--
    As I recall the 2000-2001 Ravens SB run, the common theme amongst media and opposing fan bases alike was something to the tune of, "Well, yeah, they won the Super Bowl, but they didn't beat anybody, especially in the playoffs. They are the worst Super Bowl winner ever!"

How can we possibly enjoy this 2012-2013 run if the two seasons are so similar....?

I'm soooooo depressed.......

Whoops, yeah, I knew that was a blocked FG, not sure why I typed "punt".

I see there are even more parallels that I had missed. Gettin' weirder by the moment!

Blog Entries

There are some parallels, but the differences are what amazes me...

In 2000, we were coming off of Ray Lewis' murder trial in the offseason. 1999, with a rookie coach, we went 8-8, and we had a few high profile FA signings, along with two 1st round picks in Travis Taylor and Jamal Lewis. In 2012, we were coming off a heartbreaking last second loss to NE in AFCCG. No real drama in the offseason except the Suggs injury. No big FA signings, mostly built through small veterans. No 1st round draft picks.

In 2000, during the year, our offense sputtered to a halt, leading to a 5 game streak without a TD, during which we went 2-3 and led to the replacement of starting QB Tony Banks with Trent Dilfer. During that time, our Defense was playing as one of the greatest all time units, setting a new record for yards allowed in a season. In 2012, our defense found itself breaking down with injuries to...just about every starter except Ed Reed and Cary Williams. Namely, we lose top CB for the year, Ray Lewis for 10 weeks, our ILB replacement Ellerbe for 4 games, our SS for 3 games, Jimmy Smith for 1.5-2 months. And keep in mind, Suggs returns from an injury the week after we lose Ray Lewis. Our offense, while having road struggles, actually sets a franchise record for points scored! However, the struggled on offense leads us to (shockingly) replace our playcaller and OC in Week 15, giving the reigns to a former HC who had NEVER called a play before. But the offense, after the first game, responds in grand fashion.

In 2000, our playoff run began with a home game vs the #5 seed Denver Broncos. Combining our punishing D with our stout running attack, limited the Rookie of the Year to 40 yards rushing. We then took on our division rivals, the #1 seeded Tennessee Titans. The game was pretty terrible for our offense, Trent Dilfer hit on 5 of 16 passes! Somehow, in the 4th quarter, the game was tied, but a blocked FG returned for 90 yards gave the Ravens a lead, followed up with a Ray Lewis INT off a tipped ball from Eddie George gave the Ravens what looked on paper like a blowout, 24-10. In the Champ Game, we faced a #2 Raiders team coming off a 27-0 shutout of Miami, who we had LOST to in the regular season. Nevertheless, our D forced 4 INTs and knocked starting QB Rich Gannon from the game, and we won 16-3. In the Super Bowl, we faced the #1 NFC seeded New York Giants, coming off a 41-0 shellacking of the Vikings. Again, the dominant defense didn't give up a single TD (Only TD was ST).

In 2012, we faced the "potential" rookie of the year in Andrew Luck, but he didn't score a single TD against us. However, our rushing attack was not what gave us the win, but our passing attack. Next, we faced the #1 seeded Denver Broncos. In that game, our D didn't look great in the first half, allowing Manning to constantly move the ball, yet somehow, we kept the game tied at halftime. As it looked to be over late in the 4th quarter, a miraculous long TD throw to Jacoby Jones (basically a Special Teamer) tied the game and in OT, an INT of manning setup the FG to win it. We faced the #2 seeded New England Patriots, coming off a big win against the Texans WHO HAD BEATEN US in the regular season. Two key injuries on D (Aqib Talib and Patrick Chung) and a late injury and fumble on RB Steven Ridley allowed the Ravens passing attack to carve up the Patriots D, leading to a 28-13 score that looked less like a blowout in the game itself.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!