Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Ravens and Caldwell agree to deal for permanent OC/Also hired Juan Castillo.

Wiki updated btw

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens and Caldwell agree to deal for permanent OC/Also hired Juan Castillo.

They are probably going to give Andy Moeller the old, "We suggest that you take the first opportunity that comes up for you", treatment, much like Mattison.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Apparently Castillo has been hanging around the team for a few weeks now, looks like this has been in the works for a while.
    Think he had anything to do with the new O-Line lineup during the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Apparently Castillo has been hanging around the team for a few weeks now, looks like this has been in the works for a while.
    I heard this on the radio this morning. I wonder if Castillo being around the team as a consultant coincided with the Oline starting to play better. Maybe it was Castillo who told Harbaugh you are crazy not using current Oline with McKinnie at LT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Think he had anything to do with the new O-Line lineup during the playoffs?
    Very possibly.

Blog Entries

Actually, I take it back, I think Moeller does stay around. If they were planning a switcheroo, why not introduce this as "Juan Castillo will be with the team as a consultant this year and next year"? Consultant is a real job, Al Saunders was even a SENIOR Offensive Consultant with us. I seriously doubt Moeller gets a promotion with another team, so it's not like we can just say "oh, he got a VERY good offer from someone else, guess Castillo can just take over the OL coach job now..."

It's a bit weird to have a "Run Game Coordinator", but certainly interesting situations have existed before. Not sure if I said it before, but I wonder if this is a plan to have an option ready if Caldwell gets a HC gig next year. Castillo would know the system and be intergrated with the playcalling, he slides over to OC, done deal.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Juan Castillo's initial consult:

John Harbaugh: "So Juan, thanks for coming on board with us. Obviously, our OL has been a bit testy all year. We really need a good playoff run, what do you think we can do?"
    Juan Castillo: "Well, Oher at LT isn't working well, but you don't have anyone else, so...wait a minute, you have Bryant McKinnie?"
    John Harbaugh: "Well yeah, but why would that..."
    Juan Castillo: "Dude, WTF are you doing, START HIM! You have a LEGIT LT sitting on your bench while Michael Oher is SHIT out there!"
    John Harbaugh: ..."well, I guess we could give it a try, but I don't think it's going to work out. If it does, I guess we can keep you here next year for more of these earth shattering ideas"
    Juan Castillo: *Dude, this is going to be the easiest job EVER*
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    well obvi u dont tell ur going to fire ur o line coach 2 weeks b4 the super bowl...lol
    Umm, they don't have to announce anything actually. Since Castillo has been around and seemingly working with the team already, there's no rush to make an official announcement about him being hired now and for next year. So, if they were going to fire Moeller, they could just wait and announce it all together after the season is over.

Sorry, but as loyal has Harbaugh is, I highly doubt he's going to say anything about retaining everyone, then go back on it and fire someone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They are probably going to give Andy Moeller the old, "We suggest that you take the first opportunity that comes up for you", treatment, much like Mattison.
    Now, this I could see.

I don't see them outright firing him, but I could see them wait and let him find a new home and then make an announcement that he's decided to take a job elsewhere.

Regardless, it sounds to me like Castillo's job is bigger than just being the OL coach - a sort of an assistant OC.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 01-22-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I heard this on the radio this morning. I wonder if Castillo being around the team as a consultant coincided with the Oline starting to play better. Maybe it was Castillo who told Harbaugh you are crazy not using current Oline with McKinnie at LT.
    I think that probably came from a little higher up, along with McKinnie getting into better shape and getting over the undisclosed hip injury (which several of his teammates have alluded to).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Great News.

And I can see a lefit reason to have a "Running game Coordinator", particularly if Caldwell retains his QB coach moniker and retains those responsibilities. It could help reduce the voices in Joe's head if no QB coach is added. Then, when gameplanning Castillo can focus on teh run game film, while Caldwell can focus on passign game film, and they can compare notes about when to use each(down and distance, Field position, time in the game, etc.)

I see the same as Ravor. Moeller may not get fired, but gets a diagonal downward push.

It's possible that Castillo said he wants a shot at OC (and not the DC clusterfuck in Philly) somewhere, but knows he has to rebuild his rep. John said okay, we'll go halfway. So, basically he's a glorified OL coach with some extra responsibility over WRs, TEs and RBs (which, aside Joe, is the whole offence anyway).

It's also possible what was said above - it was reported that Jim was not sure on being OC at first, so maybe he wanted extra back-up consultancy to help him. Which is a good move. He gets to focus on the passing side, his forte, while someone else helps on running.

It could be a bit co-ordinator by committee, but if it works, then hell yeah.

This seems to be what the Ravens used to do on the defensive side of the ball. Stockpile qualified coaches. If the Ravens have a good offensive season next year, Caldwell will be getting interviews and you already have his replacement on board.