Thread: Back to work

Blog Entries

Back to work

After last night's euphoria, I got to thinking about the Super Bowl matchup. The Niners have a strong O line, gashing running game, a QB with a rocket arm and wheels and an aggressive young defense. I like their style and I think they are set up to be good for a good long while to come.

Can somebody who understands the Xs and Os enlighten me on a couple of things:

1. How do we stop the read option?
    2. How do we limit the damage Kaepernick does with his arm?
    3. How can we pressure the QB and solve Staley and Iupati?
    4. Can we throw on the Niners D? Jones burned by Goldson for an early TD yesterday -- but will that be open for us in New Orleans?
    5. Their LB corps is impressive. Bowman, Willis, Brooks. Can we effectively use Q, Pitta, and Ray Rice for intermediate routes?
    6. Where is the best place to attack their D line in the run game?

If somebody who is smart enough to understand this game from the inside out can answer the above, I would be most grateful.

Blog Entries

Re: Back to work

1. Watch the Redskins game again...For all his accolades, RG3's "Read option" stuff didn't really work on us. He only ran it twice...Had an okay day passing, but certainly wasn't melting our D. And we've gotten healthier on D since then.
    2. Considering we just faced Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady, I'm confident that we can scheme a D to fit a strong armed passer. What worries me is combining the two dimensions...We have to stay strong on the edges to keep him from running, but also tough in the secondary to keep him from absolutely burning us.
    3. Pass rush could be a problem...our pass rush vs Manning and Brady was pretty timid.

Can't comment yet on our offense vs their D.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Re: Back to work

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    1. Watch the Redskins game again...For all his accolades, RG3's "Read option" stuff didn't really work on us. He only ran it twice...Had an okay day passing, but certainly wasn't melting our D. And we've gotten healthier on D since then.
    2. Considering we just faced Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady, I'm confident that we can scheme a D to fit a strong armed passer. What worries me is combining the two dimensions...We have to stay strong on the edges to keep him from running, but also tough in the secondary to keep him from absolutely burning us.
    3. Pass rush could be a problem...our pass rush vs Manning and Brady was pretty timid.

Can't comment yet on our offense vs their D.
    Hope we can contain Kaep the way we contained RGIII. The speed of the track in the SuperDome is a concern on that front though. The Redskins' field is a mush pit. The SuperDome is a faster track and if he gets to the edge or his runners do, it will be tough to catch up with them.