Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: We finally got our SB 35 defense back

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I have a problem with this comparison.

They're nothing alike. Not even close. Totally different style and nowhere near as dominate.
    I totally agree. That 2000 D took away your will to play. This D has been tactically smart but has given up tons of yards. The key has been stout red zone performance this postseason. The 2000 Ravens D never let you even sniff the red zone. If it weren't for a special teams blunder, the Giants would have never scored in Super Bowl 35. That D was historic.

Now, our offense is much better than our offense was in 2000.

I think OP is just excited:)

The defense in 2000 was our offense if you really think about it. This year our offense has mostly carried us and our defense is peaking after struggling for most of the season. We are more balance in our current superbowl run that we were in 2000.

The Superdome is a speed track, one of the fastest surfaces in the NFL.......Ray Rice could have a field day there. Both Smith and Jones will be flying. With Flaccos arm we should have a lot of deep opportunities.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    The Superdome is a speed track, one of the fastest surfaces in the NFL.......Ray Rice could have a field day there. Both Smith and Jones will be flying. With Flaccos arm we should have a lot of deep opportunities.
    Does that really advantage us? Won't LaMichael James and their receiving corps also be flying down there as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Does that really advantage us? Won't LaMichael James and their receiving corps also be flying down there as well?
    Obviously Crabtree is the guy to make big plays, but its their TE that kills teams and will be tough to stop.
    But I think Flacco has a better deep ball than Kaeperneck. This is going to be about what QB can handle the pressure.
    They do have Gore who we are going to have to stop, but we have Pierce/Rice tandem with Leach.

I don't think Kaep'neck has faced a defense like ours......ever. We just beat Manning and Brady back to back on the road.....
    Way Down South in New Orleans

I'm not saying the D is (anywhere near) as good, but there are some other "interesting" similarities:

1. The last time the Redskins beat the Ravens was 2000

2. The 2000 Ravens won their first playoff game at home, as the 4 seed, then beat the #1 seed on the road and then beat the #2 seed in the AFCC.

3. The 2012 Ravens won their first playoff game at home, as the 4 seed, then beat the #1 seed on the road and then beat the #2 seed in the AFCC.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I think OP is just excited:)

The defense in 2000 was our offense if you really think about it. This year our offense has mostly carried us and our defense is peaking after struggling for most of the season. We are more balance in our current superbowl run that we were in 2000.

Yes I am excited. I might not be around for another SB with my lungs-lol. I waited 12 years for this one, and 30 years for the last one. Add another simarility, this D carried the team in
    the first half yesterday while the offense was off tempo and finally caught up in the
    second half.

Again, I'm talking 1 game and especially 1 half it was just like em and it could continue.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-21-2013 at 12:23 PM.

8. Re: We finally got our SB 35 defense back

I don't think we're on the 2000 level, nor the 2006 level, but we're playing very, very good defense. I think people will talk about how the pistol offense will gash us, but I like the fact that we have a lot of vets on D for this game and let's remember, Kaepernick has played cheese cake defenses and is only going to be making his 10th start in the NFL. He's certainly talented, he very well could make plays on us, but our defense is also a different breed right now. It's on the biggest stage, we'll see what happens. I, for one, don't think we'll have a lot of success rushing against them, but if we can get just enough it will open up the play action. I think their secondary was really exposed vs Atlanta and I expect us to take a lot of deep shots on them. It'll be a good clash, that's for sure.

Blog Entries

The similarity is that both defenses have Ray Lewis and play with a lot of passion. They have developed a certain swagger in these playoffs, which is similar to the 2000 Ravens D. No one is saying that they are statistically as good. In particular, the 2000 Ravens D was impossibly good against the run, with Siragusa and Adams up the middle and all those young fast LBs.

Blog Entries

Thank U so much.

That's what I meant with the swarming and smothering statement in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post

I don't think Kaep'neck has faced a defense like ours......ever. We just beat Manning and Brady back to back on the road.....

Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Yeah what happened with that? I thought this defense was old and gassed from playing so much?
    Our defense is so old, that gosh I hope at their advanced age they live long enough to reach the Super Bowl just two weeks from now!

Sometimes I think the media pundits actually believe that in some form. Whatta buncha maroons. :)