Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Re: Dear Mr Caldwell, why did you run on 10/12 first downs in the first half

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I actually agree with the OP's premise, even if he is half-joking. We ran it too much, hitting the same holes, on first down early in the game. There are other ways to achieve the same goals (bringing up the safeties, etc). Short passes for one, or even more misdirection runs.

I also agree that the game situation never made it clearly the wrong thing to do, i.e. the Pats were not chalking up TDs and forcing our hand (the game was still close, etc). But I think that the establish-the-run to open the passing game can also work in reverse and is dependent on what the other team is doing (which can be determined in less drives/series/sets of downs than a full half's worth). I think establishing-the-pass to open the running game is a viable option and it also gives Joe the benefit of getting into rhythm so he doesn't face a bunch of 3rd and longs (after 2 stuffed runs) as his first opportunities to throw in the game.

Obviously, Caldwell gets an A for tonight's game, but I think an A+ would have been a little more variety on 1st down early, or making the adjustment he eventually made at an earlier point in the game. 7 points in the first half was a bit low, and I really don't think the "only 7" strategy really helped "create" the 21 in the second half as much as some might argue.
    I completely agree with your post. I am hoping this is something that changes in the off season. Phil Simms mentioned numerous times that they have to give Joe some easy throws. Under Cam this offense only had two types of plays, running and difficult intermediate to deep passes. It is the number 1 reason why Flacco is considered "Inconsistent". I also think this is Harbaugh's influence on the game plan. This was the same story line in New England last year. First three series were run heavy three and outs before Cam opened it up. Once they started mixing it up on first down the running game picked up as did the passing game. Same thing happened in Denver last week although it was opposite. First half opened up successully. Second half almost ran ourselves out of the game. I really and truly believe it is a Harbaugh thing and not an OC thing. If the Ravens are truly going to be an offensive juggernaut it is clearly going to be riding Joe's arm.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    :word

I see no reason why in that "1st down run it up the gut" sequence we couldn't have run a stretch play or an off tackle to the left (KO is a good run blocker and McKinnie will seal the edge, he just doesn't do much at the 2nd level) and I think we could've gotten something off play action, after say the 4th time we'd run it on 1st down. Maybe we wouldn't have scored anyway or had to settle for a FG, but at least we wouldn't have given the Pats such decent field position and given our defense more of a breather by extending those early drives.

I'm just not a believer in being too predictable unless you are physically dominating your opponent so even though they know exactly what you're trying to do, it's still working because they just can't stop it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Belicheat was famous for making 2nd half adjustments. Caldwell gave him nothing in the first half to adjust to. Caldwell called a great game and Ravens win. If cam was here still, your question would have been appropriate.
    The validity of this comment SHOULD NOT be overlooked !

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Yes, but if some us don't invent something to bitch about (even if half-heartedly), we may jinx things around here. The current mix of irrational complaining and vociferous defending of everything the team does has served us well up until this point. ;)
    Well, in that case, WHERE THE HELL WAS THE END-AROUND THAT CAM USED SO SUCCESSFULLY???????
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

This should put to rest any notion that the first half was intentionally used to set up the second half. The second half was a complete change of direction compared to the first half. And it was set in motion by Joe Flacco.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...0,941583.story

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    This should put to rest any notion that the first half was intentionally used to set up the second half. The second half was a complete change of direction compared to the first half. And it was set in motion by Joe Flacco.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...0,941583.story

yea listening to flacco interview, he said harbaugh came into the locker room and said we did not come this far to play conservative, lets go play to win. assuming caldwell became more aggressive in the 2nd half