Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Dear Mr Caldwell, why did you run on 10/12 first downs in the first half

Quote Originally Posted by rlh445 View Post
    Yea, obviously it WASN'T us consistently running the ball towards their strength that helped open up the field, it was simply Caldwell 'unleashing the Flacco,'. If we don't show we're willing to run it, there would have been no unleashing. I'm not sure how that's not readily apparent. What would you guys have rather seen? More PA? Didn't Haloti92 state that PAs are pretty ineffective if done consecutively? Then what? Joe throwing it 50 times like Cam Cam used to love to do? Game plan has obviously worked, our offense looks great and part of that is our insistence at sticking with the run *SOMETHING EVERYONE WAS CLAMORING FOR ALL YEAR* and yet now apparently DON'T want to see. Lol....
    There needs to be a more creative mix in the balance, is all. It's not "black or white" here. It's a matter of using the run and p/a more effectively. That did NOT happen much in the first half. The first half was only "effective" from a DEFENSIVE perspective. The only reason the Ravens were still IN the game was because of the play of the defense, NOT the offense. It's simply unacceptable for an offense to be so ineffective for 2 quarters in a championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    No, Haloti92 made an assertion, one which is contradicted by the observations of several other posters. If you want to claim that Haloti92 is some sort of infallible super fan who saw a more accurate version of events than those of us who have been arguing the point I've restated to you multiple times, feel free to do so. Pardon me however, if I find that a terribly unconvincing argument.
    N/P. We'll simply agree to disagree.

Blog Entries

I honestly think the first half play calling was deliberate, I think they didn't want to show bilecheck nothing and keep it close. We know bliecheck is the master at 2nd half adjustment and caldwell showed him nothing to adjust to then they openned up the playbook and Joee took off. It stunned that whole Pats team they couldn't adjust at all at one point Bilecheck had a blank stare on his face. I believe it was all part of the strategy.

When Caldwell was forced to open his offense up early by Trindon Holiday and Peyton marching up and down the field in Denver, he did, and did so with gusto. But as long as the D is keep the opponent in check, his MO is to keep the game close in the first half, and then hit 'em with both barrels in the second to pull away.

And once again, you can bitch and moan that it makes for unpleasant football viewing, but you CANNOT IN ANY REASONABLE WAY ARGUE WITH HIS RESULTS.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    There needs to be a more creative mix in the balance, is all. It's not "black or white" here. It's a matter of using the run and p/a more effectively. That did NOT happen much in the first half. The first half was only "effective" from a DEFENSIVE perspective. The only reason the Ravens were still IN the game was because of the play of the defense, NOT the offense. It's simply unacceptable for an offense to be so ineffective for 2 quarters in a championship game.
    Well it's a team game brosef..the offense counted on the defense and they counted on the offense. They both have been playing top notch football and they both came through last night....exactly what you want to see in a championship game. I mean..I'll have to pull a Boldin here but *points to scoreboard*.
    Last edited by rlh445; 01-21-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Making it more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    No, Haloti92 made an assertion, one which is contradicted by the observations of several other posters. If you want to claim that Haloti92 is some sort of infallible super fan who saw a more accurate version of events than those of us who have been arguing the point I've restated to you multiple times, feel free to do so. Pardon me however, if I find that a terribly unconvincing argument.
    What assertion did I make other than the obvious one that 2 yard runs do not force a defense to adjust to stop the run as some people inexplicably implied?
    Last edited by Haloti92; 01-21-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlh445 View Post
    Well it's a team game brosef..we counted on the defense and they counted on us. They both have been playing top notch football and they both came through last night....exactly what you want to see in a championship game. I mean..I'll have to pull a Boldin here but *points to scoreboard*.
    I want to see 4 quarters of the offense attempting to put points on the board with intelligent, creative play calling, not playing possum/rope a dope 50% of the time.

Blog Entries

First half:

1st and 10 at BAL 13 R.Rice right guard to BLT 15 for 2 yards (B.Spikes).
    1st and 10 at BAL 27 R.Rice up the middle to BLT 30 for 3 yards (J.Francis).
    1st and 10 at BAL 10 R.Rice up the middle to BLT 13 for 3 yards (D.Hightower).
    1st and 10 at BAL 33 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Rice up the middle to BLT 35 for 2 yards (M.Cole; R.Ninkovich).
    1st and 10 at BAL 46 (No Huddle) R.Rice left end to BLT 48 for 2 yards (R.Ninkovich).
    1st and 10 at NE 44 (No Huddle) B.Pierce right end pushed ob at NE 40 for 4 yards (A.Dennard).
    1st and 10 at BAL 14 B.Pierce right end ran ob at BLT 13 for -1 yards.

That's 7 plays, for a whopping 15 yards.

THAT'S the game I was watching. What game were YOU watching?
    That's 7 plays with only one having negative production.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    That's 7 plays with only one having negative production.
    That's 7 plays with minimal production. But hey...you're satisfied? Great.

I want to see 4 quarters of the offense attempting to put points on the board with intelligent, creative play calling, not playing possum/rope a dope 50% of the time.
    lol..i guess we can't always get what we want huh? I mean besides heading to new orleans and beating the Pats by 15 points. eh, such is life. i've seen plenty of 'creative' play calling from this team in the past few years and quite frankly i'm sick of it. maybe if you were more specific i'd understand what kind of play calling you're referring to. end arounds, the cam special? sweeps? what?

Blog Entries

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl

The Baltimore Ravens weren't afraid to lean on Joe Flacco's arm in Sunday's 28-13 AFC Championship Game win over the New England Patriots.

Coach John Harbaugh talked afterward about letting his quarterback "cut it loose" in the second half, a scenario sweetened by injuries to New England's secondary.

"We were running the ball with some effectiveness (in the first half), but they were doing a good job on defense. They were stopping us," Harbaugh told told David Lefort of ESPNBoston.com. "They were very physical up front. ... Their front seven is as good as any in football and we had to get away from that. We had to get away from challenging them and give Joe a chance to make some plays."

Patriots starting cornerback Aqib Talib was lost with a thigh injury after New England's second defensive series, and Baltimore pounced. Lefort points out the Ravens went with three-receiver sets on 79.5 percent of Flacco's dropbacks, their third-highest percentage of the year. Chalk that up to Jim Caldwell's aggressive playcalling. The Ravens rarely used three-wideout sets under the fired Cam Cameron.

This edgier Baltimore attack has dared opponents all January. The team is playing with exceptional confidence. Case in point: Ravens players weren't even aware Talib was out of the lineup.

"I didn't even know he went down until the end of the second quarter," receiver Torrey Smith said. "I was like 'Where's 31 (Talib) at?' You just go out there and play. You don't really look at who is across from you too much."

And this from Ray Rice: "I didn't even know he went down, I'll be honest. We came in at halftime, coach Caldwell said he was going to keep his foot on the pedal and that's what we did."

These Ravens just course ahead, almost ignoring the overt roadblocks in their path. Think less. Play more. It's worked so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I honestly think the first half play calling was deliberate, I think they didn't want to show bilecheck nothing and keep it close. We know bliecheck is the master at 2nd half adjustment and caldwell showed him nothing to adjust to then they openned up the playbook and Joee took off. It stunned that whole Pats team they couldn't adjust at all at one point Bilecheck had a blank stare on his face. I believe it was all part of the strategy.
    As good a theory as any. And actually could make sense. But I still don't like the idea of "sacrificing" so many drives for some future surprise. I think at some point one gets good enough to say, here is what we are going to do and let's see if they can deal with it at all (adjustments or not). But your theory fits the evidence. And obviously it worked this game.