Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Dear Mr Caldwell, why did you run on 10/12 first downs in the first half

Caldwell had me screaming much of the game, but in the end, I have to say he called a great game, other than the inexplicable throwing the ball with 7 minutes to go. Honestly I was screaming, just run the fucking ball 3 times, and the game is all but over!!! But, they got the ball back, and he did the right thing, and kudos to the o-line getting the job done when the game was in the balance.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Caldwell had me screaming much of the game, but in the end, I have to say he called a great game, other than the inexplicable throwing the ball with 7 minutes to go. Honestly I was screaming, just run the fucking ball 3 times, and the game is all but over!!! But, they got the ball back, and he did the right thing, and kudos to the o-line getting the job done when the game was in the balance.
    You & me both when there was 7 mins left up 15 take those seconds off the clock

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    That's not being "ultra conservative." It's being smart. Granted, you still need the offense to make some plays in the passing game, and you need the defense to hang tough. But pounding the rock early and often is like a boxer delivering body blows in the early rounds: you're not looking for the early knockout, you're looking to take away his wind.

I would like to see more playaction early. Not a lot, but some. But I don't have a problem with running for 2-3 yards on first and second down most of the time. That puts you in third and six or less most of the time, and that's a lot more manageable than third and ten or eight.

Pound the rock. Move the chains. When the defense tries to take that away, put it over their heads. The Coryell Way.
    so you dont think the niners will be ready for runs on first and second down, then it will put us in third and long? i dont get it, we should try to score and be ahead and not rely on the D to make stops

Blog Entries

Caldwell gets a pass from me tonight. When he put the game in Joe's hands, it all turned around. We handed the Pats their only AFCCG defeat in their house. And this is the first time Brady and Belicheck have lost to the same team twice in a season. Just amazing. Caldwell has one more tryout for the OC position but if he continues this way, I can't see them denying him. Nor should they.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    so you dont think the niners will be ready for runs on first and second down, then it will put us in third and long? i dont get it, we should try to score and be ahead and not rely on the D to make stops
    First, I don't know what the game plan is going to be in Festivus Maximus. Second, as long as you're getting positive yardage with the runs, it ain't broke. The Pats have a good front seven against the run, they were ready for the first down runs, and the Ravens consistently got positive yardage. The second down plays were mixed up more, even early. The pass in the flat to Leach for their first first down was on second down, as I recall.

So they weren't quite as predictable/conservative as they were for a stretch in the second half against Denver. Even all you get is two yards, you're making money on those early run plays, especially with as big as our o-line is.

They should be able to run more no-huddle in the SB. I think they should, whether they're running or passing. Go out with a heavy formation, pound the ball, get back on the ball, and pound it again in a hurry. Even with a two tight end set, they can challenge down the field with Pitta and Dickson (more Pitta, obviously). Caldwell and Pees are going to need to look at their own tendencies throughout this stretch run and look for ways to exploit the 49ers trying to game plan off of them.

But I don't think you want to get too far away from the Coryell philosophy even with that. The Ravens have a good running game, and it's been working. Use it. They rushed for 121 yards on 33 carries today. That's not a bad day at the office.

I was stunned to see that the Raven outrushed the Pats, I would have never guessed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Buwhahaha. This is Jim's MO in two out of three playoff games. And probably would have been in all three if not for Trindon Holiday.

Play conservative physical ball in the first, and mop up in the second.

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is how the Air Coryell is designed to be executed.
    I'm definitely not a fan of that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Caldwell gets a pass from me tonight. When he put the game in Joe's hands, it all turned around. We handed the Pats their only AFCCG defeat in their house. And this is the first time Brady and Belicheck have lost to the same team twice in a season. Just amazing. Caldwell has one more tryout for the OC position but if he continues this way, I can't see them denying him. Nor should they.
    The job is Caldwell's already IF he wants it (which I am guessing he would). Even if god forbid they have a rough game in 2 weeks, reality is they have shown enough potential that he has to get the opportunity to continue next year IMO. The guys still out there are not knock your socks off good enough to justify going a different direction.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Basically, the run is the way Caldwell uses to figure out the opposing defense. He sees how the defense goes against the run and the few PAs we do and adjusts accordingly. He doesn't do it to 'piss you off', he does it to see what he can get away with later. Obviously, it works so shut up.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rlh445 View Post
    Basically, the run is the way Caldwell uses to figure out the opposing defense. He sees how the defense goes against the run and the few PAs we do and adjusts accordingly. He doesn't do it to 'piss you off', he does it to see what he can get away with later. Obviously, it works so shut up.
    calm down dude it was a legit question.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    I'm definitely not a fan of that approach.
    Because it's been so ineffective?

Hmm.. Wait shit.

Besides, the Denver game proved he has the know how and flexibility to switch it up should the opposition score in bunches.

In a tight game, he throws body blows before going for the KO. It's old school football. Its exactly how San Fran plays too, although they're running a different system with a similar philosophy. And surprise surprise, those two teams beat the shit out of, and ultimately outscored, their opponents in the most critical game of their seasons to date.

How anyone can argue with the results is beyond me.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

At least there is a always a half time adjustment from Caldwell. He doesn't just stick with something that isn't working like Cam used to.