Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    iggyman555 Guest

Dear Mr Caldwell, why did you run on 10/12 first downs in the first half

sincerely,
    Ravens Fans

Re: Dear Mr Caldwell, why did you run on 10/12 first downs in the first half

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    sincerely,
    Ravens Fans
    Dear iggyman,

I did it to setup the Patriots for the second half.

Sincerely,

Jim

Buwhahaha. This is Jim's MO in two out of three playoff games. And probably would have been in all three if not for Trindon Holiday.

Play conservative physical ball in the first, and mop up in the second.

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is how the Air Coryell is designed to be executed.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Dear iggyman,

I did it to setup the Patriots for the second half.

Sincerely,

Jim

lol. i just want someone to ask him that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is how the Air Coryell is designed to be executed.
    Exactly. I don't have a problem with them pounding the ball early in a game. It does put pressure on the defense, but the defense has come together and kept them in the game while Caldwell works the opposing the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    sincerely,
    Ravens Fans
    Belicheat was famous for making 2nd half adjustments. Caldwell gave him nothing in the first half to adjust to. Caldwell called a great game and Ravens win. If cam was here still, your question would have been appropriate.

iggyman555 Guest

i dont get it tho if you play ultra conservative you most likely are playing from behind in the second half. wouldnt you want to get a lead and play with the lead, then the O can be more unpredictable?

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Belicheat was famous for making 2nd half adjustments. Caldwell gave him nothing in the first half to adjust to. Caldwell called a great game and Ravens win. If cam was here still, your question would have been appropriate.

Because Ali's message before the game said Rope a Dope.

Try not to bitch when your team hands the Patriots what is probably their worst ever defeat

Blog Entries

That's not being "ultra conservative." It's being smart. Granted, you still need the offense to make some plays in the passing game, and you need the defense to hang tough. But pounding the rock early and often is like a boxer delivering body blows in the early rounds: you're not looking for the early knockout, you're looking to take away his wind.

I would like to see more playaction early. Not a lot, but some. But I don't have a problem with running for 2-3 yards on first and second down most of the time. That puts you in third and six or less most of the time, and that's a lot more manageable than third and ten or eight.

Pound the rock. Move the chains. When the defense tries to take that away, put it over their heads. The Coryell Way.

In the first half the field position averaged something like the 11 yard line. I understand being conservative and avoiding a turnover with the short field. But Lovefootball has a good point.

I actually agree with the OP's premise, even if he is half-joking. We ran it too much, hitting the same holes, on first down early in the game. There are other ways to achieve the same goals (bringing up the safeties, etc). Short passes for one, or even more misdirection runs.

I also agree that the game situation never made it clearly the wrong thing to do, i.e. the Pats were not chalking up TDs and forcing our hand (the game was still close, etc). But I think that the establish-the-run to open the passing game can also work in reverse and is dependent on what the other team is doing (which can be determined in less drives/series/sets of downs than a full half's worth). I think establishing-the-pass to open the running game is a viable option and it also gives Joe the benefit of getting into rhythm so he doesn't face a bunch of 3rd and longs (after 2 stuffed runs) as his first opportunities to throw in the game.

Obviously, Caldwell gets an A for tonight's game, but I think an A+ would have been a little more variety on 1st down early, or making the adjustment he eventually made at an earlier point in the game. 7 points in the first half was a bit low, and I really don't think the "only 7" strategy really helped "create" the 21 in the second half as much as some might argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    In the first half the field position averaged something like the 11 yard line. I understand being conservative and avoiding a turnover with the short field. But Lovefootball has a good point.
    Good point...and tonight is not a night to question the AFC Champs!!

Celebrate people