Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Dear Mr Caldwell, why did you run on 10/12 first downs in the first half

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I honestly think the first half play calling was deliberate, I think they didn't want to show bilecheck nothing and keep it close. We know bliecheck is the master at 2nd half adjustment and caldwell showed him nothing to adjust to then they openned up the playbook and Joee took off. It stunned that whole Pats team they couldn't adjust at all at one point Bilecheck had a blank stare on his face. I believe it was all part of the strategy.
    This. Sometimes you need to feel the defenses out and run plays that end up going only a few yards to keep the defense honest. It goes to show how much trust the coaches with both sides of the ball

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I still don't like the idea that Joe is prevented from "cutting loose" from the opening whistle. But that is just me. And again, whatever they did, it worked, but I am not sure shackling Joe for a half necessarily made it any easier on him in the second half once they "cut him loose." But maybe it did, like Jsmoove said.

Quote Originally Posted by rlh445 View Post
    lol..i guess we can't always get what we want huh? I mean besides heading to new orleans and beating the Pats by 15 points. eh, such is life. i've seen plenty of 'creative' play calling from this team in the past few years and quite frankly i'm sick of it. maybe if you were more specific i'd understand what kind of play calling you're referring to. end arounds, the cam special? sweeps? what?
    No, not that kind of stuff. I'm talking about a more creative way of mixing the runs and p/a passes, so that every play doesn't start with a run. And putting Joe in the shotgun, TAKING the offense to the defense, rather than taking what the defense gives. Those sorts of things. Putting the ball in Joe's hands and letting him win games, rather than painting him into corners then challenging him to work his way out. (Side note: Eliminating stupid S/T penalties would also go a long way to keep Ravens drives from starting inside their own 20 yard line.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    This. Sometimes you need to feel the defenses out and run plays that end up going only a few yards to keep the defense honest. It goes to show how much trust the coaches with both sides of the ball
    exactly my dude, now that I had time to digest this game Ravens came up with an unorthodox game plan, even on D we didn't get much pressure on brady but I don't think that was the plan there, they wanted to keep everything in front of them then punish the ball carrier, those guys were hitting and hitting hard they were gonna create turnovers by belting recievers and running backs and then the Pats finally cracked. Harbaugh learned this time around. It didn't start out pretty but it ended beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    When Caldwell was forced to open his offense up early by Trindon Holiday and Peyton marching up and down the field in Denver, he did, and did so with gusto. But as long as the D is keep the opponent in check, his MO is to keep the game close in the first half, and then hit 'em with both barrels in the second to pull away.

And once again, you can bitch and moan that it makes for unpleasant football viewing, but you CANNOT IN ANY REASONABLE WAY ARGUE WITH HIS RESULTS.

You are doing fine. Don't give up the ship!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I still don't like the idea that Joe is prevented from "cutting loose" from the opening whistle. But that is just me. And again, whatever they did it worked, but I am not sure shackling Joe for a half necessarily made it any easier on him in the second half once they "cut him loose." But maybe it did, like Jsmoove said.
    I don't either, but I trust Caldwell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    That's 7 plays with minimal production. But hey...you're satisfied? Great.
    This isn't Madden. Throwing it down the field for maximum gain every play is generally a losing strategy in the NFL.

The Coryell isn't a complicated concept. Pound the ball. Use short to medium passes to move the chains if Step 1 doesn't do it. Throw it over the top when the defense tries to take away the run.

Run it twice for two yards each, and you're in third and six. That's a manageable distance. It's easier to get a first down on third and six than it is third and 8 or 10. You also get the benefit that your offensive line is attacking their defensive front instead of taking the hits as they do in pass protection.

All too often under Cameron the offense would abandon the run because they'd throw on first down for an incomplete, and then had to throw on second and third. I wouldn't mind having some playaction mixed in instead of just run-run-pass, but I don't want to see pass-pass-pass on most series. It's not as effective, and the offensive system doesn't work well that way.

I am satisfied with running the ball on first and second when it gets you into third and short on a regular basis.

Blog Entries

I still don't like the idea that Joe is prevented from "cutting loose" from the opening whistle. But that is just me. And again, whatever they did, it worked, but I am not sure shackling Joe for a half necessarily made it any easier on him in the second half once they "cut him loose." But maybe it did, like Jsmoove said.
    I don't think they shackled Joe, i think the Ravens were playing "dummy" I think they baited Bilicheck and it worked because Pats made no 2nd half adjustments this is where they are dangerous, but there was nothing to adjust to because Ravens didn't show shit. 2nd half it when the Ravens shook the powder off and blasted them with an element of surprise.

I still don't like the idea that Joe is prevented from "cutting loose" from the opening whistle. But that is just me. And again, whatever they did, it worked, but I am not sure shackling Joe for a half necessarily made it any easier on him in the second half once they "cut him loose."
    This is exactly what I'm saying as well.

Blog Entries

I don't think they shackled Joe, i think the Ravens were playing "dummy" I think they baited Bilicheck and it worked because Pats made no 2nd half adjustments this is where they are dangerous, but there was nothing to adjust to because Ravens didn't show shit. 2nd half it when the Ravens shook the powder off and blasted them with an element of surprise.
    I don't think they were playing dumb or "rope a dope" (the pregame call from Ali notwithstanding). I think the object was to beat the crap out of the Patriots physically on both sides of the ball.

Harbaugh is taking a page out of the 2000 playbook. We may not have the players we had then, but the Ravens decided they were the more physical team on the field and to take advantage of it.

I don't think they shacked Joe, i think the Ravens were playing "dummy" I think they baited Bilicheck and it worked because Pats made no 2nd half adjustments this is where they are dangerous, but there was nothing to adjust to because Ravens didn't show shit. 2nd half it when the Ravens shook the powder off and blasted them with an element of surprise.
    I know that is what you meant. But Harbaugh said they made a conscious decision to "let Joe loose" in the second half. That implies (the word 'let' combined with 'loose') that before that decision they were purposely keeping him shackled (i.e. not loose). In any event, like I said, it worked, whether it was preordained to do it that way or whether they did it on the fly.

Blog Entries

I know that is what you meant. But Harbaugh said they made a conscious decision to "let Joe loose" in the second half. That implies (the word 'let' combined with 'loose') that before that decision they were purposefully keeping him shackled (i.e. not loose). In any event, like I said, it worked, whether it was preordained to do it that way or whether they did it on the fly.
    I see what you're saying but bouy we can't argue with the results. Either way it worked.