Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rhys Lloyd -- could be a difference maker

Major props for this late addition.

If you watched our games last year, our field position from kickoffs was our major disadvantage on special teams. The fact that our special teams was in the top 3 in stats (e.g., football outsider) was impressive given that handicap.

If he can consistently kick touchbacks, that will be a huge difference for the team.

Let alone the occasional 55-60 year field goals!

Hope we're able to have a Brit on the team!

Re: Rhys Lloyd -- could be a difference maker

Agreed....guy booted a 55 yarder last night. I'd be shocked if he didn't make the team now.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    Agreed....guy booted a 55 yarder last night. I'd be shocked if he didn't make the team now.

And the ball HIT THE NET! I agree that the Ravens should keep this kid.

He's a sure thing. I know it's late on Sat (9/1) and I don't know the cuts, but he has to be on the team.

Shouldn't he be playing in the EPL or something?

j.k he'll be a great addition!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Shouldn't he be playing in the EPL or something?

j.k he'll be a great addition!
    He actually played in Chelsea's youth system as a kid. :)

Always good to have a Brit on the team. He really came out of left field for me, was totally unaware he was waiting on a work permit but if he can bring a spark to our field position from kickoffs and boot some long field goals then more power to him. :uk:

I am glad the Ravens are looking ahead. Matt Stover won't be here forever and he can't nail the ball on kickoffs anymore. Maybe we can even try for a 60 yard field goal.

I am curious, has the fact a Brit made an NFL team made any headlines at all in the UK?

Or maybe he isn't the only one, there is a kick returner as well, isnt there?

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    I am curious, has the fact a Brit made an NFL team made any headlines at all in the UK?

Or maybe he isn't the only one, there is a kick returner as well, isnt there?
    It'll be noted on our coverage on Sky Sports but it won't be newsworthy, it might have been newsworthy if a Brit had made the squad for the Giants (Osi Umenyiora was born in London, so they have a Brit I suppose) or the Dolphins ahead of the game at Wembley.

I like the "British Bomber" better myself,but apparently Rhys already has a nickname from hos college days:

"Lloyd was the placekicker, kick-off man and punter for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers from 2003 to 2004. Rhys was also a two-time all-american placekicker for Rochester Community and Technical College. He was famous for his rugby-style punting, amazing concentration under pressure and long-distance field goals. Teammates referred to Lloyd by the nickname "Winston Churchill", after the English prime minister that led the United Kingdom through World War II. Lloyd is best remembered for a 42-yard field goal in the dying seconds of the 2003 Sun Bowl to beat the University of Oregon 31-30."

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMRaven View Post
    And the ball HIT THE NET! I agree that the Ravens should keep this kid.
    That ball didn't even just hit the net. It hit the net a good way up. Honestly I think that FG would have been good beyond 60.

I like this guy's potential. Chance to save some games deep into them if it's tight. To know that we've got a shot if we only make it to an opposing team's 40 is WAY different than knowing we've gotta make it to around their 25 or 30.

- C -

Nice to hear we have solved the kickoff isseus, should prove to be quite valuable as the season unfolds.

As for his field goal kicking, is he as accurate as I am reading? I figure to hit a 55 yarder, you have to be pretty accurate though it was in a dome...

Though I guess we won't find out about his upright accuracy for some time as long as Stover is around so its really a moot point. Just as long as he booms them into the endzone.
    Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.