Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finish

Re: Finish

Glad none of ya'll are nervous, I'm down right nervous as hell. I know we can beat them, I'm just worried about petty BS that the Pats love to pull from their busted scoreboards to headset malfunctions, to Brady getting preferential treatment... I hope it plays out like the last time we won. Get the ball first, punch them right in the mouth and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Tell that to Marty Schottenheimer.

Careers are only so long and you only get so many chances. There is a reason why we celebrate winning. It's the ultimate accomplishment. That goes beyond talent and ability.
    No it doesn't. Talent and ability are tools to winning, but frankly, luck and circumstances are too.

Dan Marino is unquestionably the best QB of his generation. But because he never had a defense or running game worth a damn, he never won it all. Circumstances outweighed talent.

Joe Flacco threw the game winning touchdown last year in the AFCC game. New England got to go to the Superbowl though. LUCK.

It's a bullshit false narrative that the pattern recognition part of your brain insists is real even though a thoughtful, and objective analysis of actual outcomes of sporting events indicate it isn't.

I'd like you to address a point I raised in my initial response. Did Kurt Warner FORGET how to clear the hump after 1999? Or once you're over does one not try as hard to repeat? Is that why there are so few back to back SuperBowl winners? Obviously Tom Brady knows how to clear the hump, which is why he's done it so many times in the last 5 years... er... wait... I guess he forgot too huh?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    No it doesn't. Talent and ability are tools to winning, but frankly, luck and circumstances are too.

Dan Marino is unquestionably the best QB of his generation. But because he never had a defense or running game worth a damn, he never won it all. Circumstances outweighed talent.

Joe Flacco threw the game winning touchdown last year in the AFCC game. New England got to go to the Superbowl though. LUCK.

It's a bullshit false narrative that the pattern recognition part of your brain insists is real even though a thoughtful, and objective analysis of actual outcomes of sporting events indicate it isn't.

I'd like you to address a point I raised in my initial response. Did Kurt Warner FORGET how to clear the hump after 1999? Or once you're over does one not try as hard to repeat? Is that why there are so few back to back SuperBowl winners? Obviously Tom Brady knows how to clear the hump, which is why he's done it so many times in the last 5 years... er... wait... I guess he forgot too huh?
    They play the game to win, they don't just play to play. That's why Ray Lewis will bring out that ring next week and the rest of the team will gawk over it.

Did Kurt Warner forget how to win? Of course not. He spent his whole career trying to win again as did Brady and the rest of them. But winning a championship absolutely takes a weight off because that is the goal every single year. Dan Marino has said that not winning has been the most difficult thing to deal with. It wasn't Marino's fault that he never had a running back and rarely had a defense. With Quarterbacks and Coaches though there is always an emphasis on Championships. If Dan Marino had won a Super Bowl he would be in the conversation as the greatest Quarterback of all time. Without winning one most look at him as a notch below that level.

This Ravens team has come too close for too long. The Steelers have been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2 since 2000. It's time for the Ravens to start getting past close and start winning these Championship games.

I bet Jim Kelly and Marv Levy would probably have a thing ortwo to say about the "myth" of the hump. Maybe Fran Tarkenton would too.

Blog Entries

And Bud Grant. Or Bum Phillips.

Like last week, I'm cautiously optimistic that we will be victorious tonight. This 2012-13 Ravens team is special. I've been telling people all week, this is the most resilient Ravens team I've seen in the history of the franchise. Nothing gets them down. They just don't quit playing and pushing, regardless of circumstance. They truly believe in each other and are united in one goal and it shows. Relentless was last year's "motto" but it's so appropriate for this season, as is "Team". I couldn't be more proud as a fan of this team.

I think the Ravens are coming together at the right time. OTOH, N.E. just lost Gronk. I think there's a lot more hype surrounding N.E. than the Ravens. N.E. is definitely beatable, and I think the Ravens are just the team to beat them.

8. Re: Finish

We're right here. We wanted this game, the players wanted this game. Let's go finish this thing and go to New Orleans!

I think all the pressure is on the Patriots. Once again they are already annoited the winners before playing the game. It is expected by most, and they have to live up to so many other peoples expectations. Every year they don't win the Superbowl with the Amazing Brady and Belicheck duo, is a failure to the umpteenth degree.

The Ravens have some pressure to get there, but not many have expected them to get To where they are. Hell, we had supposed fans of the Ravens so convinced that they would lose last week against Manning, that they didn't even watch the game! In most peoples minds, the Ravens are playing with house money since beating "the best team in the NFL". Now people are saying "Now THIS time, really, the Patriots ARE the best team. And besides, you got lucky last week." This could be what lets them come out loose and the Pats tight. Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I bet Jim Kelly and Marv Levy would probably have a thing ortwo to say about the "myth" of the hump. Maybe Fran Tarkenton would too.
    I think the Bills kind of prove ASB's point, no?

Wide right ....

No. His point being there is no hump, that it's a bunch of made up bullshit. Having been a fairly competitive athlete, I think his assessment is what's bullshit. I think it's a bunch of pseudo-intellectual crap. There are humps in sport that some people can get over and some can not.

So since Joe threw a game winning TD last year, I guess he cleared the hump only to have Lee Evans shove him back down?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron