Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finish

Re: Finish

I bet Jim Kelly and Marv Levy would probably have a thing ortwo to say about the "myth" of the hump. Maybe Fran Tarkenton would too.

And Bud Grant. Or Bum Phillips.

Like last week, I'm cautiously optimistic that we will be victorious tonight. This 2012-13 Ravens team is special. I've been telling people all week, this is the most resilient Ravens team I've seen in the history of the franchise. Nothing gets them down. They just don't quit playing and pushing, regardless of circumstance. They truly believe in each other and are united in one goal and it shows. Relentless was last year's "motto" but it's so appropriate for this season, as is "Team". I couldn't be more proud as a fan of this team.

I think the Ravens are coming together at the right time. OTOH, N.E. just lost Gronk. I think there's a lot more hype surrounding N.E. than the Ravens. N.E. is definitely beatable, and I think the Ravens are just the team to beat them.

We're right here. We wanted this game, the players wanted this game. Let's go finish this thing and go to New Orleans!

I think all the pressure is on the Patriots. Once again they are already annoited the winners before playing the game. It is expected by most, and they have to live up to so many other peoples expectations. Every year they don't win the Superbowl with the Amazing Brady and Belicheck duo, is a failure to the umpteenth degree.

The Ravens have some pressure to get there, but not many have expected them to get To where they are. Hell, we had supposed fans of the Ravens so convinced that they would lose last week against Manning, that they didn't even watch the game! In most peoples minds, the Ravens are playing with house money since beating "the best team in the NFL". Now people are saying "Now THIS time, really, the Patriots ARE the best team. And besides, you got lucky last week." This could be what lets them come out loose and the Pats tight. Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I bet Jim Kelly and Marv Levy would probably have a thing ortwo to say about the "myth" of the hump. Maybe Fran Tarkenton would too.
    I think the Bills kind of prove ASB's point, no?

Wide right ....
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

No. His point being there is no hump, that it's a bunch of made up bullshit. Having been a fairly competitive athlete, I think his assessment is what's bullshit. I think it's a bunch of pseudo-intellectual crap. There are humps in sport that some people can get over and some can not.

So since Joe threw a game winning TD last year, I guess he cleared the hump only to have Lee Evans shove him back down?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    "The hump" is the biggest myth in sports.
    "The Hump" is psychological, and real. Our thoughts are real. Not everyone or every organization faces a huge hump, but some do, and everyone faces a hump of one kind or another at some point in their lives.

It is like my 15 year old daughter who was learning to drive and afraid to drive the car out on the street instead of in a parking lot. She did not get over "the hump" until we made her do it, and then, once she did it, there was not an issue any more.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    So since Joe threw a game winning TD last year, I guess he cleared the hump only to have Lee Evans shove him back down?
    Ummmmm. We lost that game. You can't throw a game-winning pass in a game your team loses. Just saying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    All I can say is that I'm probably the least nervous I've been before a game (playoffs or regular season) since I've been a fan.
    +1
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Ummmmm. We lost that game. You can't throw a game-winning pass in a game your team loses. Just saying.
    Except he did. From Joe's perspective, he did everything possible to get over the hump.

He can't make Lee Evans catch it. If one is going to claim that there is some sort of psychological hump that an athlete must clear, Joe's performance was clearly good enough to clear it. Only Lee Evans and Cundiff's weren't.

If the hump is real, Joe cleared it with that throw. If it's bullshit, then there was never a hump to clear. Either way, he can lead us to the SuperBowl and this nonsense about getting over something is just that- nonsense.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    My wife commented tonight that I'm much more calm this weekend than most.

She's right. I'm very confident about tomorrow.

There's something special about this organization right now. And I'm not necessarily talking about winning the Super Bowl.

The Broncos win was a special thing. Just like what the Immaculate Reception did for the Steelers so too did this won for the Ravens.

We're poised for something very special right now. Now it's up to the players to make of happen.
    This is me right now, too. I can't explain it, but although I am eagerly waiting for the game to start, I don't have my usual nervousness. I don't have any fear. I am weirdly confident, more so than I've ever been going into a playoff game.

It's like, after seeing what the Ravens did in Denver, you know they can do anything. Literally. It's just a question of will they? And that is something I can't control, so I guess that's why I'm calm.

Blog Entries

Great perspective.

Do you guys remember that 2000 run? Every game had a magic play in it (most with Shannon Sharpe involved)

WC game -- Shannon returns a tipped ball 60 some yards for a freak touchdown
    Divisional -- Blocked FG returned for a TD by Anthony Mitchell
    AFCCG -- 96 yard TD to Shannon Sharpe

We got some magic last weekend. Can we keep it going?